Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spoiler-Safe Pathfinder: Kingmaker Self-Help Thread (Now ruined by munchkin assholes)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This thread is intended to serve as an alternative to the main PF: KM megathread, where those who are just starting out in the game and those who have questions about it but want to avoid being bombarded with way too much info can turn to for help and to share their own advice.

Please do not post "solutions" or outcomes to any quests in the game here at all, unless it is in order to assist with a common problem or known bug. In doing so, please indicate clearly and surround in spoiler tags. Gameplay tips, the game's mechanics, etc. -- these are the kinds of things I'd like to restrict this thread to.

I haven't gotten very far in the game myself, but I have restarted once due to a serious bug (see below), so I think I have enough tips accumulated to offer up.

- The first thing I want to say is that if you've already started a new game, but did so before the last hotfix/patch, consider completely starting all over again. This is because, due to a horrifying bug on Owlcat's part, one of your companions later on in the game can actually clone herself, resulting in all sorts of fucked up and broken behavior that may or may not be solvable by the developers with another hotfix. From everything I've read, if you just bite the bullet and start a new game with the latest patch installed, it's not a problem and won't happen.

- When starting a new game, the difficulty options are crucial for shaping the way the campaign's experience is going to go for you. You will notice things like "percentage of damage done to characters" is set at something like 80% by default (!). Others like how accurately according to PF rules critical hits are applied to your party can be altered, too, and all these should be considered and set carefully. I prefer everything set to Normal, including critical hits, damage received, and I even set encumbrance to affect my party's movement. Otherwise I feel like I'm cheating, but that's just the purist in me. I did allow for Death's Door, which avoids character death at zero HP unless that character is hit with another deadly effect while they're down. Don't ignore these options!

- Obviously you also shouldn't ignore your inventory right away. While most characters are equipped with decent-enough starting equipment to get you through the tutorial, don't forget to add things like CLW potions to your belt (yes, it's intended that only one potion per "slot" is allowed) and to consider other weapons and armor you find along the way.

- Speaking of Encumbrance, it can be a little confusing how it works at first. Depending on how you set the above-mentioned options when you started your game, having too much stuff in your shared inventory may have a minor to major effect on your party's performance. Remember that the total weight calculated by the game includes everything in the shared portion AND everything each of your characters is currently wearing/carrying. Once that sum total reaches certain thresholds, more and more severe penalties can begin to apply, including affecting Fatigue, which can seriously lower a character's STR and DEX until slept off. So don't just vacuum every single set of armor that you see, assuming you can just sell it all off. That may be true, but how do you sell something when you're dead?

- Pay close attention to certain weapons and other items, because sometimes they may not work the way you assume. One example is the difference between a light crossbow and a shortbow: characters with low STR will benefit from the former much more than the latter, because, as laid out in the PF rules, the crossbow doesn't rely on STR to apply its full damage. Conversely, for fighter-types with high STR, equipping a composite longbow will greatly enhance his damage with that weapon since it does rely on STR. Just swapping items in and out of your character's doll and observing their numbers either way can reveal a lot.

- Using Abilities can be a little confusing simply because of the nature of the game's UI. Spells are easy enough to see but don't forget to click the 'A'bilites tab and the 'B'elt tab to reveal all your options in a fight. I don't like the way this works because it's easy to overlook that you left something like Defensive Fighting activated after a fight is over, but eventually, if you're OCD like I am, you force yourself to habitually click these tabs far too often to be sure everything is perfect.

- Switching weapon sets can be critical to your success in combat, but it's a little awkward, too. Click the very top of the tab representing your desired set to actually switch to it, then (I guess) close the tab again until you're ready to switch back. There may be keyboard shortcuts for these but I haven't bothered with that yet. The timing of switching between, let's say, a longbow and back to your main melee weapon set is extremely important, because if you forget to do it and attack with that bow again while in melee range of an enemy, you may incur an attack of opportunity and have your face smashed in. I like to generally open with a volley of missile fire, a single shot ONLY for each of my fighter types, then immediately switch sets and have them advance to engage. Generally, standing at distance with other archers has proven to be a bad strategy. It may work for you, but the game likes to pepper you with archers cleverly placed at times so use caution.

- Don't forget the Charge ability. All fighter-types get it right away and it can be very effective. It does have a countdown timer of I think about three seconds in order to activate, but as long as you have an unobstructed line to your target, and are within a certain distance, you get attack bonuses that can make a nice difference. Tactics!

- Casting spells is very straightforward. Remember that many characters (all in PF??) use a "shared" spell slot number, meaning that if you have three casts left each of, say, Sleep and CLW and Hypnotize for your bard, as soon as you cast one, you're down to two for all three. This is the same for sorcerers. I have yet to obtain a real mage into my party yet, so someone else can comment about the way their spell slots work. Also, as the game's tutorial tips lay out, Clerics have the ability to immediately convert any of their spells into a Cure-type spell commensurate with its spell level. Just right-click the spell in order to do that.

- Moving around on the overland map should be straightforward, too. You obviously click the arrow in the direction you want to travel, and other directions become visible only when you come upon a crossroads or discover some sidetrack. The game is slightly linear in this aspect, but in my opinion as long as there are plenty of directions to choose from, it still feels open. Needless to say, prepare for wandering encounters.

- Camping is one of the most confusing parts of the game. I have yet to figure out all of its functionality, but I think I have the basics down. First of all, slight spoiler:

CAMPING IN THE FORT IS FREE AND AUTOMATIC. You don't need to have camping supplies to do it, you restore all spells while camping there, and you receive some free healing while camping there. SLEEPING IN THE BED UPSTAIRS IS NOT THE SAME THING. I discovered this by accident reading the game's forums and slapped myself in the face upon doing so.

Camping out in the wilderness can be dangerous, and there are some pre-requisites for doing so. You have to have certain roles assigned, such as Hunter, otherwise the rest will take longer, be less effective, or just not work. It also helps immensely to have someone who is skilled enough help to camouflage your camp. Otherwise, if you're discovered by wandering monsters during your rest, you get no rest benefits and must all fight Fatigued (I believe). So experiment by swapping characters around to the various slots to make sure you've got them placed optimally. Don't forget that even in order to set a camp, which you do so like in a building game by placing the camp's outline somewhere on the screen where there's enough room, you have to have camping supplies (which are heavy). Do you camp where you are or head back to safety? Choices and consequences, my friend.

- Leveling up is generally a no-brainer. You can't click 'Next' on each screen until you've made your choices, but as we all know, especially in any D&D-type game, those choices can be critical. Consider carefully, especially, what Feats you take. If, when choosing what new spells to select, you can't actually see the spell list, that means your game hasn't been patched. Turn auto-update in Steam back on to apply the fix.

- There is one quest early on in the game that caused quite a lot of problems due to its difficulty. It's a side-quest, technically, but one that everyone goes to almost right away.

The dreaded spider swarm cave. A patch has been applied that helps this a lot. The alchemist in the Fort warns you of its difficulty and gives you a small number of Alchemists Fire potions to use on the swarms. Do so liberally. Equip every character in your party with as many of these in their belt slots as you can, and rain them down on the swarms at every opportunity. Be sure to take out the giant spiders, as well, ASAP, because if you get flanked by them and one or more of the swarms they can put a real hurt on you in short order. If you run out of the potions, you can turn to the Everburning Torches as makeshift melee weapons which WILL affect the swarms, in addition to, of course, spells such as Burning Hands, if one of your characters has it. This fight may take you a couple of attempts, but it's very do-able now with those changes.

I hope these help someone and I'll add more as I come across/think of them. Thanks for any contributions.

Last edited:

Got bored and left

is this a joke thread :lol:

Harrim: Are there any other threads? If life itself is but a joke told by an impotent comedian, how can a thread be any different? Many threads, though, might turn to rope - now that, my friend, is no joke at all...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Some of the stuff here -- hell, all of it -- might be obvious, but I don't care. I like helping people.

I also like the sound of my own voice and reading what I've written over and over again. It's all part of the megalomania.

Now, contribute or GTFO.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Back on the steam forums, one of the main issues I've seen players have with the game, is that their builds sucked ass. In other words, players would unnecessarily make the game far harder than it should, with severely unoptimized builds. To newcomers I usually recommend martial builds. A martial build is one that has access to martial weapons, and deals physical damage.

Classes:
Martials that I recommend for new players are:
1)Fighter:
-Plenty of feats.
-Base Fighter gets armor training, which is just fantastic, as it increases the amount of AC you can get from DEX.
-Base Fighter also gains weapon training, again just fantastic.
-Base fighter gets advanced fighter feats, which actually change the class up a bit, and add some necessary power to it.
-Weapon mastery, it is now possible to reach level 20. So pure fighter is now a possibility, thus making weapon mastery a worth while thing to stay pure for.

2)Monk
-Stat to AC.
-Flurry of blows, stacks with haste and KI power extra attack. Monk is capable of dishing out 8 attacks PER round, that is crazy.
-Gets unarmed passives that allow unarmed strike to bypass DR. Very good for unarmed based builds.
-KI powers, it is always nice to self buff with barkskin and have it last for over an hour.
-Monk's subclasses are all fine, except for sensei, avoid that one.

Races:
Human gives you a plus 2 to stats, and an extra feat at level one. Extra feat is very good for rounding your build out early.
Both Tiefling and Aasimar allow for disgusting min maxing. Great for builds that are MAD, such as monks. However, it is not completely necessary.

Stat Optimization:
When stat dumping, the general rule is not to dump unless you are completely sure you won't be using that given stat. I generally always dump INT and CHA, as I never have plans to multiclass into sorcerer, wizard, or DD. Also, since this isn't PnP you are not punished for dumping those stats. Never dump CON, you always want to have it at least around 14-16. For DEX you want it ideally around 14. 14 DEX gives an easy +2 to AC, +2 to initiative, and a +2 to reflexes. It also qualifies you for dodge and combat reflexes. If you can't afford 14 DEX, then 13 DEX will be more than sufficient, still qualifies you for dodge and combat reflexes, but won't give you the +2 to saves and AC. For WIS you want at least 14. If you can't, fret not, just keep it at 12, and supplement with feats.

Feats:
General feats you can never go wrong with:
Dodge (A easy plus one to AC, and stacks with other dodge bonuses)
Iron Will (Both Iron Will and it's sister variant are good, stacks with Shake it Off. Very good if you just want your toon to have god like will saves)
Improved Iron Will
Improved Initiative (Increases the chances of your character acting first in a round. Very good for acting before an opponent and or mitigating the chances of being flat footed.)
Shake it off (If you can't afford Iron Will + Improved Iron will, then just take this instead. Easy +4 to saving throws, everyone also has to take it though.)
Outflank
Combat Reflexes
Vital Strike (The only way to deal big dick damage. Not very good for monks though, as it negates flurry of blows)
Cleave
Dazzling Display (Any build that exploits this is generally good. As Dazzling Display does some wicked stuff. Basically, dazzling display based builds inflict the shaken status. It also causes enemies to take a -2 penalty)
Seize the Moment
Weapon Focus
Critical Focus (Great feat, doesn't stack with Keen)
Blind Fight (This isn't necessary, but highly recommended for new comers. As the final chapters in the game can be brutal for those who don't know what they're doing.)
Improved Blind Fight (Basically Blind Fight, but better, worth taking Blind Fight to get this.)
Deadly Aim (Best means of amplifying damage for ranged users)
Power Attack (Best means of amplifying damage for melee users)
Toughness (Nice to have)

There is a whole lot more feats than I am willing to cover here. General idea is this, pick feats that improve saving throws, amplify damage, facilitate the means to do damage, and or increase survivability. If you reach a point where you don't know what feats to pick, just choose survivability feats.

Stacking:
Generally, the purpose of stacking is to squeeze as many bonuses as you can, thus pushing your character as far as you can. General idea for stacking is this, bonuses from the same type do not stack, excluding dodge, as it does stack with itself. Untyped bonuses on the other hand, do stack with each other regardless. For AC stacking the formula looks something like this 10 base + Armor Bonus + Natural Armor Bonus + Deflection Bonus + Dex Bonus + Shield Bonus + Dodge Bonus + Sacred Bonus + Untyped Bonus. If you do have a bonus from the same category overlapping with each other, then the highest one will be used.

For stat stacking, the same idea applies here, typed bonuses do not stack. Untyped bonuses do stack. So that +4 enhancement to strength from belt and that + 4 enhancement from bull's strength, will not stack.

Example build:
Race: Human
Class: 20 Monk (Base)
Stats:
Str 17 (22)
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 7
Wis 16
Cha 7

Feats:
Level 1: Weapon focus (Unarmed)/ Improved initiative/ Dodge
Level 2: Combat Reflexes
Level 3: Power attack
Level 5: Pummeling style
Level 6: Deflect arrows
Level 7: Outflank
level 9: Improved Critical (Unarmed)
Level 10: Blind fight
Level 11: Hammer the gap
level 13: Critical focus
level 14: Improved blind fight
level 15: Iron Will
Level 17: Improved iron will
level 18: Trip
Level 19: Pummeling bully

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
"Camping out in the wilderness can be dangerous, and there are some pre-requisites for doing so. You have to have certain roles assigned, such as Hunter, otherwise the rest will take longer, be less effective, or just not work. It also helps immensely to have someone who is skilled enough help to camouflage your camp. Otherwise, if you're discovered by wandering monsters during your rest, you get no rest benefits and must all fight Fatigued (I believe). So experiment by swapping characters around to the various slots to make sure you've got them placed optimally. Don't forget that even in order to set a camp, which you do so like in a building game by placing the camp's outline somewhere on the screen where there's enough room, you have to have camping supplies (which are heavy). Do you camp where you are or head back to safety? Choices and consequences, my friend."

To expound upon this, it is best to carry around resting supplies. At least 12-20. This way if hunter fails, you don't lose time. Time is a resource worth budgeting in the early game. Until you get access to magic teleporters.

Trashos

Arcane

We have gone over this in the other thread. I have to disagree. Power Attack provides value only under certain conditions, which I do not think any newcomer will obtain. I do not believe that newcomers should be taking it. As a matter of fact, I recommend turning it off for the dog as well, until they know what they are doing.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

We have gone over this in the other thread. I have to disagree. Power Attack provides value only under certain conditions, which I do not think any newcomer will obtain. I do not believe that newcomers should be taking it. As a matter of fact, I recommend turning it off for the dog as well, until they know what they are doing.
Never! We may have gone over it. But I am adamant about this. Anyways, you're probably right. What would you recommend for newcomers instead?

Trashos

Arcane
Never! We may have gone over it. But I am adamant about this. Anyways, you're probably right. What would you recommend for newcomers instead?

I was not referring to the Monk build, I know nothing about Monks. I was referring to the Power Attack as a feat in general. Feats that amplify damage but reduce to-hit chance do more harm than good in a general case. I would recommend none of them. Not until one recognizes the cases when they are beneficial, and turns them on and off accordingly.

Ulfhednar

Savant
- The cost of mercenaries at Oleg's increases with the level of your main character quite rapidly (500 GP at level 1, 2000 GP at level 2, 4500 GP at level 3,etc). Companion levels don't affect this cost. If you want to try out a bunch of different builds on a bunch of different characters, don't level up your main character at the beginning of the game (it's okay to level up companions) and spend as much money as you can find on mercenaries once you get past the fight at Oleg's. Make sure the "only active companions receive experience" option is turned off, and all your mercs and companions will level up throughout the game at an even pace regardless of how many you have. Once you've hired all the mercs you want, then you can press the level up button on your MC. If you still want to get the most out of the story, and see lots of companion interactions, your party should look something like this MC/Merc*/Comp/Comp/Comp/Comp where you trade out mercenary characters one at time and try out new builds.

- Teamwork feats are strong, but it can be difficult to keep up with who has what feat. Inquisitors are handy here, because they can get the benefit of TW feats regardless of whether or not their partner has the corresponding TW feat. Put ALL the TW feats you are interested in using on an inquisitor (they get bonus TW feats anyways) and then when you want a character that is not the inquisitor to use a TW feat, you don't have to keep track of which of your other characters also has the corresponding TW feat. Instead, just move them next to the inquisitor or vice versa.

- Squishy melee characters should either have reach weapons or you should cast enlarge person on them (so their regular weapons become reach weapons).

- Pay attention to spell durations:
x rounds/level will only last for 1 battle
x minute/ level can last for a whole area map, but will disappear if you travel on the overworld

- If you're not sure what skills to select for a character, choosing Trickery will allow that character to attempt to open locked objects, and Perception is universally useful when trying to spot hidden objects/locations

- You can inspect monsters using the 'eye' toggle in the UI (or use the Y hotkey)

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
In regards to spell duration, it is highly recommended to invest in rods. Specifically the extend meta magic rods. While the uses are limited, it is still worth it. Simply give the rod to a spell caster, and have them select the rod, then use a spell. The spell will now have a longer duration, thanks to the rod. Very useful for buffing, and for encounters that you know will take a long time.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
If you don't want to play a martial build and or are overwhelmed with build making. You can always just a roll a sylvan sorcerer with a smiilodon pet.

Trashos

Arcane
If there are bugged feats and abilities as of latest version that players should avoid, maybe they could be posted here as well.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Charge is by far the most important ability in the game. I highly suggest you put it in the hotbar, and make full use of it. Charge allows you to rush enemies, possibly catching them flatfooted, and gives you a free +2 to attack rolls. Very potent.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Choke points are very important. Choke points can turn a very hard fight into a easy fight. The purpose of a choke point is to aggro all the enemies in an area, then funnel them through a narrow path. Thus forcing them to attack you one at a time, giving you the advantage. Ideally the set up and team composition for a successful choke point is as follows; have one companion of whom has a very high decent AC, have a back up off tank, then have the rest of the team attack at range. My set up is Valerie the main tank, Jaethal the off tank, everyone else will either be using reach weapons or attacking with ranged weaponry. You can also use the enlarge spell on a melee fighter, which allows them to attack from range, as the spell enlarges whatever equipment the person was using at the time.
Here are some examples of me using choke points in unfair:
I8OPTjI.png

qE6CKn0.png

Last edited:

kelkorkesis

Novice
Crane Style chain works regardless of your weapon despite the description. You can wield a two handed sword and still enjoy its benefits.

I was not referring to the Monk build, I know nothing about Monks. I was referring to the Power Attack as a feat in general. Feats that amplify damage but reduce to-hit chance do more harm than good in a general case. I would recommend none of them. Not until one recognizes the cases when they are beneficial, and turns them on and off accordingly.

All power attack does is turning your useless to hit bonuses to damage, since if you beat target AC it is irrelevant how hard you beat it. In higher difficulties, early to mid game you can barely beat target AC. Thus power attack is terrible.

However I believe it is still valuable for full bab classes, because power attack is simply full bab classes' answer to sneak attack. If rogues can land their attacks consistently, so can your power attack using fighter. It is true that it requires some knowledge to use it effectively though, you want to close it when you fight against high AC encounters.

kelkorkesis

Novice
thats a bug and an obvious exploit.
They never patched it and I don't think they are ever going to patch it. I don't see it different than flanking, entering eldritch knight or triggering ranged sneak attacks. They are substantially easy to do in this game compared to pnp and I don't see it as an exploit. It is actually good thing to have crane style working for anything, since it gives other weapon options for your tanks. And I would say if I spent 5 feats (Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Crane Style, Crane Wing, Crane Riposte) I earn right to use it. Pathfinder (the system) is riddled with pointless restrictions.

Trashos

Arcane
All power attack does is turning your useless to hit bonuses to damage, since if you beat target AC it is irrelevant how hard you beat it.

I do not understand your argument. When choosing Power Attack, you increase your potential for total damage, but you are also increasing your potential for not applying any damage. More damage per hit means nothing if you do not hit. The hit bonuses are useless only if you are already at 100% hitting (bar rolling a 1) or at 100% missing (bar rolling a 20). It is an advanced balancing act to decide whether Power Attack is favorable for the in-between cases, and this is even before taking into account additional on-hit effects. Which is why I suggest that the use of PA is avoided by newcomers.

If, for example, in some battle you only hit on a 19 or a 20 (without PA), with PA you are only going to be hitting on a 20. Congratulations, you have halved your chance to hit! This can be very relevant in fighting relatively high-AC opponents.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you only miss by rolling a 1 or a 2 (without PA), with PA you will be missing on 1/2/3. You have increased your chance of missing by 50%! This can be self-destructive against a hard-hitting low-AC opponent.

kelkorkesis

Novice
The hit bonuses are useless only if you are already at 100% hitting (bar rolling a 1) or at 100% missing (bar rolling a 20)
Hit bonuses are useless after you beat the target AC. It doesn't matter if you beat it by 1 or 20 (it matters in PF2 but that system is pleathora of other issues. I hope Owlcat never flips to it). Power attack allows you to turn this excess to hit to damage. It is all it does. Of course it is not optimal to use under every circumstance. You toggle it depending on your enemy. It is also helpful to pierce damage reduction.

If, for example, in some battle you only hit on a 19 or a 20 (without PA), with PA you are only going to be hitting on a 20. Congratulations, you have halved your chance to hit! This can be very relevant in fighting relatively high-AC opponents.
There is a possibility of increasing your average damage per round in this scenario. Depending on your your strength, weapon and target's damage reduction.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you only miss by rolling a 1 or a 2 (without PA), with PA you will be missing on 1/2/3. You have increased your chance of missing by 50%! This can be self-destructive against a hard-hitting low-AC opponent.
I don't think it is good idea to check edge cases. Power attack has a place where in increase your average damage per round. If you use it without a thought you will surely use lose damage though. However if there is one place to use power attack it is low ac hard hitting opponents. If they are hitting that hard hard you want to get rid of them asap.

In next game, I wonder if Owlcat implements Mythic Power Attack. That thing just skyrockets your melee damage.
For reference: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/mythic/mythic-feats/power-attack-mythic/

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Great idea guys with the self-help thread!

So I need help finding my path. I always saw myself as a king but turns out I'm just a kingmaker like any other. Nothing in my life has meaning anymore. How do I go on Codex? Plz advise.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I like is that the thread started as a "help with the basics" thread by Crispy but it took only a bit to turn it into another munchkin thread for PF:K with various terms thrown around and meta-builds and exploits and what have you :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom