Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad - 50 vs 50 online shooter

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Can you play 'normaly' in this game? Meaning play alone without caring about other people?

tsiforb

Learned
Patron
tanks, fireteams, a game mode with randomised objectives on all maps and changes to spawning, ammo

Last time I played was near the start of V11 and this has been a real breath of fresh air. The ammo and rally/hab rules emphasize supply and offer both attackers and defenders good things to think about, as well as keeping approaches more varied. It's early still but in my experience the changes seem to have helped stop rounds from turning into a meatgrinder so consistently, without removing the possibility of protracted fights in the same area. Although some tactics will surely end up proving themselves and be used more often, I think these tweaks and randomized mode will end up keeping the game from feeling stale and samey longer than previous updates.

Tanks are properly scary - was with a couple squads capping a fairly open objective on Yeho with no vehicle support, a T72 and only a few guys show up and just completely fucked our world up, good stuff. Letting bandages revive people is also a great change as someone who plays medic most of the time. It's nice to not have to play quite as conservatively.

There seem to be way more people bitching about performance issues than with V11, but it's the opposite for me. Early access ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

tsiforb

Learned
Patron
Been keeping an eye on it but I'll wait until full release or at least until it's closer. Any impressions?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty good now- I bought and refunded it when it was new. But they are having a free weekend right now so got to try it again, and much is improved. They just released Americans as a faction. The garand is a sweet rifle to fire :)

Jinn

Arcane
It's pretty good now- I bought and refunded it when it was new. But they are having a free weekend right now so got to try it again, and much is improved. They just released Americans as a faction. The garand is a sweet rifle to fire :)

How many maps they have in the rotation right now?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Think they added 2, or maybe 3. One of the new American maps is the absolute best. You fight around a demolished church and small town, with trenches and other defensive positions already on the map.

They also added a camera for the rifleman, so you can take old timey black and white pictures. Staying alive is hard when trying to get that Pulitzer picture though. Here is some of mine:

FieeLjB.jpg

gT1Rkqr.jpg

1LPd5jv.jpg

eeHZawO.jpg

eIMfnC1.jpg

w6rRnJm.jpg

xF5l1SV.jpg

G7KpeCv.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
I've only played for two hours last night (Squad, that is) but it was incredibly fun, some of the changes are brilliant. Ammo being persistent up to a certain point adds utility to the basic role of rifleman which can now resupply the squad and also reinforces the importance of well placed and supplied FOBs. I bet we will see many vehicle hunting fireteams composed of one LAT/HAT, one rifleman and one medic.

Speaking of fireteams, they're great when SLs make proper use of them. I was playing on the RIP server last night and two clan members were successfully dealing with the challenge of leading our squad to victory, splitting us into two teams that were pushing from two angles or defending different areas of flag zones.

I also like the changes for healing, now any role can revive others using bandages but unless you get revived by a medic, you're left with low health and zero stamina until one heals you with the medic bag. This relieves some of the stress on medics but also makes them even more essential than before since you're pretty much useless with low stamina (weapon sway, etc). It also fits thematically, I should be able to patch someone up quickly with a bandage despite not having advanced medical training.

As for tanks.. that's just the icing on the cake, I've never experienced anything as deafening and imposing in a shooter as last night when I was caught in the middle of a fight between two Abrams, one T-72 and two BTRs. The sounds, man, the sounds and the horror of being a pesky rifleman..

Looking forward to playing more!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Started playing again, and wtf have they done. A good match, with a bit of back and forth lasted only 35 minutes. And a roflstomp game was over in minutes. This doesn't feel at all like those long games you were able to have, in this game or the mod it was based off. Getting Alterac Valley/Red Orchestra to RO2 vibes from this now.

Pandering to the Call of Duty crowd or something?

ADL

Prophet
3.0 released today introducing the USMC

Also I've been playing this lately and it's a lot of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom