Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Square Enix revives Front Mission

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Things are looking up for SRPGs these days.

distant

Learned

I want to be more excited for this but... I don't know looks kind of meh compared to the original, as if they were figurines, it has a plastic look and the split-screen duels don't look that good in 3D.

FM2 though, a proper translation and hopefully the duels that are already in 3D translate better.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want to be more excited for this but... I don't know looks kind of meh compared to the original, as if they were figurines, it has a plastic look and the split-screen duels don't look that good in 3D.

I like most of the looks, UI is particularily a very good look that remasters often fuck up.
The only thing that really looks shit are the actual attack animations. Then it is accentuated that the models look like toys.

I'm really liking the whole kind of tilt-shift photography, miniature look to it in the maps. The Yoshitaka Amano portrait art looks pretty great. Overall it looks pretty good. It could however use some more animation during the action, hopefully they're still working on it.

It's weird they changed the look of the HUD, which had this cool looking '90s windows menu aesthetic to them. Mainly it's weird because they are still kind of keeping it some parts, but not every part. Like the original SNES font more too.

Could have went for that Wasteland remake (that was also trying to go for some kind of miniatures look) from about a couple years ago looking like this.

I'm not even sure SE is putting this out themselves. It may be a situation like Streets of Rage 4, where DOTEMU licensed the franchise out from Sega, and DOTEMU made and put the game out themselves. It might be that Forever Entertainment SA are putting the game out as opposed to Square Enix...they're also the ones putting out the upcoming House of the Dead Remake. But I don't know. The see two companies listed in the trailer that are also developing the new House of the Dead Remake Forever Entertainment is publishing.

spekkio

Arcane
Finally you casuals will be able to witness the crazy melee greatness of FM2. :obviously:

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Front Mission 2, would certainly benefit from a remake the transition to the playstation was rough especially with the load times if you left the battle cinematics on.

I kind of hope the Front Mission 2 remake just lets you switch between the normal view and that wireframe computer layout it uses for transitions. I mean, even if they make it faster, you probably don't really want or even need that transition anymore, you probably want that all to be as snappy as Front Mission 5...but aesthetically that lo-fi kind of imagery is pretty cool looking. So it would be nice if you could switch to some overhead view similar to those transition screens that then zoom-in on the actual battle when the action starts. There was a PSX game that did something similar that was a influence on the look of 13 Sentinels maps called Gunparade March.

i met front mission on psx, can't remember which one, probably 2. it didn't rock my socks but was interesting. until i found out that not even boss mechs were immune to capture, thus the optimal way of playing it was abusing the headshot ability and repeating a mission unless most of the enemy pilots ejected.
has this nonsense been fixed in the last 20 years?

R@tmaster

Educated
1st part is really bland. Alternative campaign , released with nds version, deserves remake more than original. At least it has few okish missions.
God, I hate this interface. And they actually felt the need not only to put cross in the middle of aiming interface, but also to make the arrow that shows where that cross is pointing. Like some people will be too dumb to press right side of their D-pad.

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
They'll remake the second one too?! Oh, Christmas came real early this year, please don't suck.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

We appreciate that IGN gave us a valuable opportunity to present our new game.
The vision for this new entry, Front Mission: Borderscape, focuses on the eve of the Second Huffman War and the escalating secret regional conflict.
By depicting the developmental process of the powerless under the fog of war, players will witness this world's evolution together, using their understanding of helplessness to explore the roads to an inevitable tragedy.
Front Mission: Borderscape is head-produced by BlackJack Studio, the successful developers of Langrisser Mobile.
The game is slated for worldwide release on multiple platforms, including mobile.

lightbane

Arcane
For a moment I thought it was a translation of Border of Madness, which wasn't translated, not even by fans, but no dice. Also, connecting oneself to a mech shouldn't be a thing yet at the time depicted in the timeline (by the end of the Hoffman conflict it would fit better), but details.

flyingjohn

Arcane
For a moment I thought it was a translation of Border of Madness, which wasn't translated, not even by fans, but no dice. Also, connecting oneself to a mech shouldn't be a thing yet at the time depicted in the timeline (by the end of the Hoffman conflict it would fit better), but details.
There is a handy guide on gamefaq that allows you to easily play the game without any Japanese knowledge.
That is if you play the series for the gameplay(i have no idea why anybody wouldn't.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom