Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Squeenix going all out with NFTs

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
why is it pushed so much in gaming?
Are you serious with that question? DLCs, microtransactions, lootboxes etc exist and they make a killing. Retards will throw their money at anything. NFTs are the next logical step for game publishers. Make some cheap dime a dozen items/skins/whatever and sell them at premium price to mouth breathing mongoloids that have been tricked into believing that those items will be of value later on.

lightbane

Arcane
why is it pushed so much in gaming?
Are you serious with that question? DLCs, microtransactions, lootboxes etc exist and they make a killing. Retards will throw their money at anything. NFTs are the next logical step for game publishers. Make some cheap dime a dozen items/skins/whatever and sell them at premium price to mouth breathing mongoloids that have been tricked into believing that those items will be of value later on.

I suppose, but I still can't believe that shit is trendy. It is even worse than DLCs, because it gives you literally less than a cosmetic skin for a game.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
I suppose, but I still can't believe that shit is trendy. It is even worse than DLCs, because it gives you literally less than a cosmetic skin for a game.
Dullards believe they can make a serious profit from NFTs, so naturally they're hip and cool these days, but in reality you need to be loaded already in order to make a profit off of them.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Please be excited to buy our non-fungible, randomly generated Final Fantasy sprites.

lametta

Educated
Posted this in the random jrpg news thread but decided it needs more attention.

Square Enix embracing NFTs and hoping they are getting the norm....
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...and-blockchain-become-a-major-trend-in-games/

"Happy new year oh and btw People play games for fun lol? But well let NFTs change that":
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/2022/html/a_new_years_letter_from_the_president_2.html

Makes one wonder if FF16 got delayed to implement NFTs.....
A2X9dagE_o.png

N0rn

Novice
"I realize that some people who “play to have fun” and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends, and understandably so. However, I believe that there will be a certain number of people whose motivation is to “play to contribute,” by which I mean to help make the game more exciting. Traditional gaming has offered no explicit incentive to this latter group of people, who were motivated strictly by such inconsistent personal feelings as goodwill and volunteer spirit."
This quote really is something. How fucking disconnected do you have to be as the president of SE to try to appeal to people who don't play games to have fun? We've got enough shit going on in gaming already, there really is no need to bring even more people in who dont care about games, just about profits.

"UGC has been brought into being solely because of individuals’ desire for self-expression and not because any explicit incentive existed to reward them for their creative efforts. I see this as one reason that there haven’t been as many major game-changing content that were user generated as one would expect. "
It's not like mods are and always have been a significant part of gaming.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"People who play to contribute."

Yeah, bullshit. Find one person who buys games and spends time on them so other people can have fun while they get nothing.

Sometimes I wonder if AAA gaming companies are trying to kill themselves.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yeah, bullshit. Find one person who buys games and spends time on them so other people can have fun while they get nothing.

Not sure if it's what you meant, but whales in online F2P games. Some of them (surprisingly) aren't that predatory and fund development via whaling while F2P people can play pretty much entirely free.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not sure if it's what you meant, but whales in online F2P games. Some of them (surprisingly) aren't that predatory and fund development via whaling while F2P people can play pretty much entirely free.

It certainly isn't what I was thinking about because I don't spend much time in that space and try to minimize it. But yeah, good point.

Nirvash

Liturgist
I don't get how SE can monetize, ubisoft already killed the nft market for mmo items, no one care.

I can only see sega making alot by selling "official" sonic random clones to the gay furries.

Zeriel

Arcane
And it all started with horse armor...

Theodore_Kaczynski_2.jpg

Every year proves Ted more and more right. I've gone from "luddites are dumb" to "okay maybe he was right about some things but we can't throw out all technology" to "yes literally every technology is evil degeneracy" in the face of events.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom