Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Silva, Dec 26, 2012.

1. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Well shit, I guess I have to install Anomaly now.

^ Top  
  2. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    I just reinstalled Call of Pripyat. What mods should I install into the game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Malamert Magister Edgy

Malamert
    SGM 2.2 Lost Soul.

^ Top  
  4. Onionguy Educated

Onionguy
    absolute nature+ absolute structures = must have
    atmosphere- worth it

^ Top  
  5. distant Learned

distant
    Part way through a playthrough with Gunslinger, it's a good time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ferratilis Savant

ferratilis
    Latest version of openxray + Original Guns Reanimated also seems like a good choice for vanilla experience. If you can live with original gun sounds, which OGR didn't change.

Usually, I'd recommend OWR3, but it introduces problems of its own, even though it has the best guns.

^ Top  
  7. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Depends what you want really. SGM isn't bad for a soup type experience.

If you just want something vanilla, I'd echo some of the recommendations in this thread. Absolute series of texture mods and Atmosfear. One of the weapon mod packs.

^ Top  
  8. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Is Gunslinger compatible with Atmosfear and Absolute Nature? Also, is Gunslinger in English?

^ Top  
  9. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    it comes with Absolute Nature in recent versions
    Atmosfear - dunno
    english - weapon descriptions etc. only have an "unofficial" translation that comes with the latest installer i believe

^ Top  
  10. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    Grabbed a custom install of Anomaly 1.5.1 since it was downloadable via torrent. Nothing too crazy in there, the usual weapon, sound and grafix mods, but also something that completely disables the usual HUD elements and you don't get a starting PDA either. Now I'm not a hardcore survivalist by any means but I do like my immershun and from that point of view having to rely on gut feeling and various graphical effects over on screen meters to figure out that my dude is parched as all hell was pretty cool (I initially misdiagnosed it as being due to medkit side effects). It definitely takes some time to get a hang of how to take care of your character this way but I may just end up preferring it eventually.

Curiously, Sidorovich has infinite money and buys at 100% value which definitely seems like an oversight or some custom change by the modlist author, but who knows. Money definitely helps, but it won't put the best gear on the table.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    There are small elements of Anomaly I dislike but the ease of use and stability of their 64-bit X-Ray engine fork makes up for those minor grievances.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I just had what may have been my best two hours of STALKER ever, the kind of emergent greatness that makes you fall in love with the game. What was meant to be a simple document retrieval from bloodsucker village turned into a tense firefight against half a dozen Monolith with my greedy ass being overburdened and using an unreliable 30% condition shotty while dodging fire anomalies. Afterwards, I managed to haul all the loot back to Rostok in the pitch black darkness while blowouts and psi storms somehow always started at the most inopportune of times. The whole flow of it was just so organic and immersive. I'll double down on my earlier comment in favor of HUDlessness.

Before that, I made a detour through Darkscape which is an area I had never visited before and got a rude surprise in the form of a sneaky controller in the middle of the woods while in a thunderstorm. Having zombies approach while an incoming blowout warning message appears and being unable to peek out for more than a second almost made me want to cry for mommy, but I somehow survived, only to die to dogs a bit later...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    What mod did you use? Anomaly?

^ Top  
  14. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    As mentioned above, yes. The custom modlist found in this video's description specifically:

^ Top  
  15. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    God, what even IS this monochrome bullshit? Fucking Anomaly, man...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    To be fair, that's not what base Anomaly looks like. That looks like one of the mod compilations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I don't have that reshade and I agree, I'm using the agressor preset. Was just the first video in my history.

^ Top  
  18. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Ah, sorry, didn't realize it was a reshade. I thought this is what 1.5.1 looks like. I clicked play on the embedded video and didn't see the whole title.

^ Top  
  19. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    STALKER may very well hold up the best of all the games of its era, visually speaking. With plenty of help of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    So I've been having some performance issues with Call of Pripyat.
    Even though I have vsync on, there is still screen tearing and its really annoying. Is there a mod that fixes the technical side of things and make it a little more stable? Like, fix the coil whine on main menu and allow vsync to actually work?

Does anomaly have those issues too? Or is it better optimized as its using its own set of files and engine?
    What's a good and simple combination of mods for Anomaly anyway?
    I tried having a look at it and there's a massive list of addons that seem superfluous. I really just want stability, bug fixes, magazines, guns and better textures. I don't want bullet time or tacticool armor and shit.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    ^ Top  
  21. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    There are a bunch of ready made addon packs for Anomaly for different strokes. I recommend checking out this channel for gameplay videos that cover a few of them: https://www.youtube.com/c/4KHDRRTXGamingBenchmarkChannel/videos

I am personally using the gun overhaul which is not the most fitting name as it makes a number of other changes too but I have been largely happy with it. It has bullet time yes, but I found that to be dumb and unfitting so I've simply not been using it. No magazines, not entirely sure if any of these packs have them. Installation for this particular pack was literally as simple as downloading and extracting via torrent. I just added enhanced shaders and Reshade myself.

The only technical hurdle I encountered with Anomaly regarding the graphics was that motion blur seemed to be broken - even at the very lowest setting, it applied a really ugly blur when zooming in that almost made me give up on scopes until I figured that was the issue.

I've had two crashes over some 20-25 hours. One at the army warehouses where googling suggested a patrol was bugged and caused crashes when I got too close and it gave instructions on how to use the console to remove NPCs, but I just left the area and returned later and it was absolutely fine. Another was at the entrance to the darkscape which didn't seem to repeat.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    ^ Top  
  22. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    You could force vsync on with your video card. There's also free windows software you can get which caps your fps too. I used to use it for an old game.

^ Top  
  23. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Tried that with AMD, still screen tearing. It's as if CoP really wants to screen tear. Chill seems to be working fine though. My fans suddenly going nuts 10 hours in for no reason, but then I activated Chill and it got the fans to work properly. Does nothing for the coil whine on the main menu though.

^ Top  
  24. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Vsync's broken, like many other things. Here:
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Call_of_Pripyat#Video

^ Top  
  25. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I read about that, but I'm using the steam version so it should already have been patched to 1.6.0.2

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.