Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Breach - setting agnostic sci-fi skirmish game

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Having played Warhammer Kill Team casually a fair bit, I've been getting increasingly pissed off by it, with the rules scattered all over the place and new Tactics coming up all the time. It's become such a hassle to consolidate everything.

As an alternative, I found this gem that is just starting to get traction. It uses Bolt Action activation (i.e. Order Dice that are randomly pulled from a bag) but is played at the skirmish level (so 4-14 models). You get a full list of equipment to choose from, and pretty much everything is a clone of WH40K races and equipment, mixed in with some Star Wars (there are actually two factions called "The Path" and "The Dark Path").

I read through the rules and it looked streamlined but very tactical, with a lot of emphasis on gear, positioning and suppressing the enemy. Warbands have their own advantages, but it's all very focused and easy to keep track of. The actions that your units can take are also easy to learn and internalise. I found the whole "if someone charges at you, you can reaction fire multiple times except when you can't" type of ruling in Kill Team to be extremely annoying.

I managed to try a quick demo round just now, and it was as I expected. Close combat was also brutal -- if an attacker with high initiative and melee-focused gear gets in your face, you're likely screwed, and only the RNG gods can save you.

Also, grenades finally feel like grenades, so that's a big plus.

Free PDF here: https://www.starbreach.com/

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not sure how else one would phrase it
It's adaptable to seemingly any sci-fi setting or universe, so you can do Star Wars, Traveller or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom