Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It wouldn't surprise me if a full half of what Cloud Imperium spends is in paying their legal team.

If I were Chris Roberts, and I knew that this cash cow could be milked with impunity as long as I kept paying my lawyers, I'd commit half of them to researching and scheming exactly to what limit can we continue along the path of promising new and shiny features but never actually releasing a product -- how long will the horse continue to walk to reach that carrot?

People laugh at Roberts. They laugh at his vision. They scoff and mock the project that he's never been able to complete. I say he's a fucking genius and, although he's given up his morality as the price to pay, he's just going to continue milking this thing for as much as it's worth until the U.S. Justice Dept. shuts him down.

Ponzi schemes ain't got shit on this guy.

Deleted Member 22431

Nah, it's pure sunk cost fallacy and denial that is keeping this thing alive. You need to be a very naive person to think that this is worth any kind of investment, and that Roberts has a clue what he is doing. He is not a genius in the scheme. People are just dumb.

Myobi

Liturgist
It wouldn't surprise me if a full half of what Cloud Imperium spends is in paying their legal team.

If I were Chris Roberts, and I knew that this cash cow could be milked with impunity as long as I kept paying my lawyers, I'd commit half of them to researching and scheming exactly to what limit can we continue along the path of promising new and shiny features but never actually releasing a product -- how long will the horse continue to walk to reach that carrot?

People laugh at Roberts. They laugh at his vision. They scoff and mock the project that he's never been able to complete. I say he's a fucking genius and, although he's given up his morality as the price to pay, he's just going to continue milking this thing for as much as it's worth until the U.S. Justice Dept. shuts him down.

I would rather know how much he pays himself and his wife =P

Perkel

Arcane
Hmmm i kind off doubt that,it is just graph put out by them,i am not sure that it is real.

Their UK studio (which makes SQ42 and deals with money) yearly post financials because they are obligated by UK gov. So far it matches those numbers. They have monthly ~3mln burn rate as by last year report.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But they don't have just one entity in the UK, they have 3 (at least, those are the ones in which Chris Robberts has directorship) https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/o3k5_3JXKwHUeC7wVcvmHSKAWw4/appointments. And the data is only up to 2018, as they have quite some time yet to publish their 2019 numbers.
CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES LIMITED (Foundry 42 previously) posted a loss in 2018, and average salary (meaningless number really, purely math average) works out to around 40k. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history
CLOUD IMPERIUM UK LTD. also posted a loss in 2018. This is the parent of the rest of the orgs. This one doesn't list the number of employees, uses only the number of ppl in the group, so it's same as from CIG Limited, but it does list the amount highest paid director got: 246,087 GBP. Not bad, but nothing stellar. However, AFAIK, this is only for this company, not the whole group. It's quite possible all of the directors get paid for their directorships in every company separately. Filings for this company also list all of the subsidiaries (more than I posted here). https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
ROBERTS SPACE INDUSTRIES INTERNATIONAL LIMITED has a net zero PnL in 2018. It has zero employees, but spent 392,560 on wages and salaries, as a recharge from fellow group company (unspecified which). https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/filing-history

As Perkel said, all the accounts are available to everyone, you can see for yourself. Sorry for going all Derek Smart on this.

Perkel

Arcane
From what i read their UK studio is what holds all the money while their other studios effectively work for them as contractors or something like that.

Either way even with UK financials you won't be able to properly trace money as companies often post in red despite have billions in profit. The only worthwile info there is that they have around 3mln burn per month which confirms that those numbers they post are mostly correct.

The unknown is amount of investment they received outside of that.

Perkel

Arcane
They have more offshore tax-haven subsidiaries than star systems, that's for sure.

Who doesn't ? Pretty much every company that can actually hire some proper accountant does this now. I live in poland and i have 2 friends who run companies. 1 has small company the other one has multiple businesses. Both of them have their business registered in Cyprus.

Either way the important part is burn rate because it is something they can't hide unlike profits and their account as they have workers to pay. If they didn't make that much money from crowdfunding they would long gone go bankrupt.

3mln burn rate is ~$40mln a year which is about what they get yearly plus couple of mln.

Perkel

Arcane
Well of course; they are 9% owned by the Chinese.

Chinese bought part of their company because they thought they were their ancestors. They couldn't believe that someone could create such soulless grind beyond their capabilities.

Deleted Member 22431

This episode was brilliant. C. Roberts openly treat his backers as ATMs. So much waste of resources. I can't wait to see the next episodes about the engine and the workplace of CI. Poor Ben Lesnik.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

Maybe it was to shield himself somehow, considering his whole video was basically about a woman in gaming, I don't know.
If he is so concerned about feminism why did he tear another asshole in Sandi Gardiner?

Some fun shit:

"my pet is out of order", said Sandi Gardiner about Ben Lesnik

"We have a couple of backers that have spent a couple thousand dollars and sometimes they get a little entitled" LOL

Deleted Member 22431

Bearing in mind the person who made this is yet another high paying backer who got salty that Chris sempai wasn't listening to him.
He was a whale who was smart enough to realize way earlier that it was a complete fraud and got his refund. He is also insanely talented to make these autistic detailed videos. Dude has my respect.

Deleted Member 22431

where does this idea that gaming is a "hostile environment for females" come from
literally go play any online game and say you're a woman and get free shit
you find an army of "my lady" "white knights" and "asskissers"; never mind all the affirmative action hires in studios for the gender cause;

AN4RCHID

Arcane
New free fly / in-game event coming up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom