Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ADL

Prophet
Have you ever met a flight sim player? The majority of them are fucking loaded and if they want to spend a hundred bucks on a pledge for a game they like that's their prerogative. Thanks to their whaledom I can play the game and get just as much enjoyment as they do for a fraction of the price in my Avenger Titan where I've outmaneuvered significantly larger ships that cost more money.
I was initially at the early backer $30 Kickstarter tier until this year when I finally upgraded to one that was double since I really enjoy the game, sixty bucks, the price of a brand new game. Even if I went and threw them another forty bucks, that's still significantly under the cost of a collector's edition for the latest AAA piece of shit to come out. What's the problem?

NHTAfq5.png

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Have you ever met a flight sim player? The majority of them are fucking loaded and if they want to spend a hundred bucks on a pledge for a game they like that's their prerogative. Thanks to their whaledom I can play the game and get just as much enjoyment as they do for a fraction of the price.
I was initially at the early backer $30 Kickstarter tier until this year when I finally upgraded to one that was double since I really enjoy the game, sixty bucks, the price of a brand new game. Even if I went and threw them another forty bucks, that's still significantly under the cost of a collector's edition for the latest AAA piece of shit to come out. What's the problem?

NHTAfq5.png

Alexander, I'm going to let you off gently - you DO realise you're coping so hard in the name of the scam you've paid into that you're throwing graphs at me, do you? Do you realise how insane your behaviour is? You might as well take a seat next to Lilura in the crazies section.

ADL

Prophet
I'm just saying sixty bucks, thirty of which was spent recently because I've enjoyed my time with it and have been impressed with it's progress and you guys over here are acting like it's the laundering scheme of the millennium.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I'm just saying sixty bucks, thirty of which was spent recently because I've enjoyed my time with it and have been impressed with it's progress and you're over here acting like it's the laundering scheme of the millennium.

Within the gaming industry - yes, it's the biggest scam in its history, all the more impressive when taking into account that the man behind it was already known for such practices, and was completely outside of the industry for 20 years. Not to mention even that the last games he did work on were failures, and resulted in him getting kicked out from two different companies.

Jigawatt

Arcane
gif presenting their update to planetary tech. At the end of the day it will be good sequel to Space Engine.

I don't know what this is supposed to show but you can get much better looking results in Terragen with about an hour of work

Also,

their cloud tech

I wish you Citizens would stop bloody talking like this. A rendered cloud is a rendered cloud ffs.

ADL

Prophet
Show me a volumetric cloud solution that could produce anything close to these results. I'll wait (forever)
Volumetric clouds are pretty damn important for a game that deals with gas giants, weird space shit pictured below and seamless space-to-atmospheric landings.

Last edited:

Jigawatt

Arcane
Show me a volumetric cloud solution that could produce anything close to these results. I'll wait (forever)

lololol. Imagine being this deep into not knowing what you don't know. Just as one example simulated volumetric clouds have been on out-of-the-box feature of UE4 since at least 3 years (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzPP5FAYAg ). OpenVDB has been able to drive small scale (i.e. as much as that video) clouds in real-time for even longer. There is no 'tech', and never has been. 'Planet tech', 'cloud tech', 'mesh network tech' - it's all bullshit. Yeah it's not trivial to tie everything together into a single product, it's why AAA does still take several years. But the implication that CIG should be cut extra slack because they are doing something new is completely off the mark and always has been

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey guys, good news! CIG have broken their year-long silence on SQ42.
They provided a roadmap to releasing a new roadmap for Squadron!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...m/3/thread/squadron-42-roadmap-update/3260782

The new Roadmap is something we hinted at in March but because that is still very much in development, we can’t share as much about it as I would like. Believe me when I say I’m personally very eager to release it to you. We took the time to explore options for how we could better represent our progress, and I believe we are getting close to landing in a pretty great spot. Our goal with this new Roadmap is to give you better visibility into what teams are working on, share the progress of more teams, and go so far as to indicate the size of the projects for our tech, features, and content teams. This new Roadmap will drastically change how you follow the development progress for both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. The new Roadmap will focus more on breaking out teams and features so you can interactively see what is being worked on across all teams, as opposed to what features will make X release. While it’s not quite ready, it’s currently top priority on the web team’s current projects. In the immediate future, we plan to deliver the following communications:
  1. Give an explanation of the goals of our new Roadmap and what to expect from it
  2. Show a rough mockup of the proposed new Roadmap
  3. Share a work in progress version of the Roadmap for at least one of our core teams
  4. And then finally transition to this new Roadmap

Of course, between each of those steps there will be weeks or months long delays, so don't count on anything too soon :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The backers don't seem too happy.

By user Tygereye:

CIG don't care about their current backers anymore. They only care about the potential new ones and their fresh money a bad press could turn away from this project. It's a very short sighted view because as we are witnessing now the growing displeasure of their player base gets sooner or later relayed by the media. But the lack of foresight is becoming a CIG trademark with their habit of only trying to adress issues (and often with vague PR answers) once the damage is already done. That tells us a lot about how this whole project is managed if you ask me.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also from the same announcement:

The only content that’s exclusively SQ42 are people, places and plot – and we don’t want to spoil those.

Lol. Wow, that's 200 IQ PR right there.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
And the funniest part? Chris "The Leech" Roberts will NEVER be dragged to court to answer for this, and even if he did, he has millions of dollars at his disposal to drown you in lawyers. The man already knows he is Scott-free.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
8 years into development.

The wing commander style single player campaign was supposed to come out in 2014, 2015, 2016.

After more delays it was finally supposed to enter internal beta in Q3 2020.

Total radio silence on SQ42 for about a year, public roadmap hasn’t been updated since Q3 2019.

Meanwhile, slow progress on the PU (the MMO part of the game) has been explained by „it’s all hands on deck for SQ42“. But no info on SQ42 is given.

Int he meantime it slipped that Chris‘ Brother Erin, is no longer in charge of SQ42. Chris himself has been avoiding public appearances as much as possible in the last months.

Last time anyone has seen the game was around Christmas, when they released a „visual teaser“ without gameplay that could be mocked up in 30 minutes in any 3D engine SDK by an intern.

Promised a new roadmap in March 2020 for SQ42. Complete radio silence since then.

Recently even the sc subreddit, filled with true believers and mega whales, has been getting pissed about the silence on SQ42. After they made a ruckus and some media outlets reported on this, CIG released a statement explaining their roadmap towards releasing a new roadmap for SQ42.

The Game is supposed to enter internal beta in Q3 2020.

Imagine defending this fucking company

:abyssgazer:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The whole 120 systems stretch goal thing is really the only solid point against Star Citizen, I wish Chris Roberts would just say "we're not doing 120 systems anymore, you're getting ten highly detailed ones at launch with more to come afterwards" because that seems like a reasonable exchange.
you're getting ten highly detailed ones at launch with more to come afterwards
at launch
rating_lulz.gif

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Unironically asking - how long can this scam go on before the pledges start drying up? There must exist a breaking point at which even the most brain-dead zombie will realise "oh, this game will never come out." Imagine the forums and YouTube at that moment.

More seriously though, sometimes I wonder whether Chris Roberts isn't actively counting on someone/something shutting down his company due to litigation, at which point he will bow out, cancel the project, and run with the money.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Unironically asking - how long can this scam go on before the pledges start drying up? There must exist a breaking point at which even the most brain-dead zombie will realise "oh, this game will never come out." Imagine the forums and YouTube at that moment.
What's the limit, though? They already stole more than 300 millions dollars and still haven't delivered what they promised in the 4 millions stretch goal. This May they stole 15 millions dollars... if people haven't come to their sense by now, will they ever?

Silly Germans

Why exactly do people that haven't pledged care whether or not it is a scam ? I would never spent a buck on it unless there is a finished product but i don't see the harm in it right now unless you were someone that actually pledged. Even assuming that it is a scam, it has some value. It showed that there is a market for this kind of game. It might inspire other developers to do something in the genre. And even if it takes another 10 years what does it matter as long as you don't invest prematurely ? Are they aggressively calling grandmas and rip them off with the good old "Hey its me, Chris Robert your favorite space game developer" scheme ?

Perkel

Arcane

The reason why pledges aren't coming down and set new records is that people are already playing it and like new updates they churn up every once in while. Yes it is alpha, it doesn't have 120 systems like promised and bunch of other stuff but there is already game-play there and people seem to like it.

If people can buy and play Elite with its 4 hours of content and be fine with 99% of rest which is mindlessly grinding 5-6 type of missions for 1000s of hours then you shouldn't be surprised if they see SC and think it is second coming of Jesus with its "huge amount of content".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Why exactly do people that haven't pledged care whether or not it is a scam ? I would never spent a buck on it unless there is a finished product but i don't see the harm in it right now unless you were someone that actually pledged. Even assuming that it is a scam, it has some value. It showed that there is a market for this kind of game. It might inspire other developers to do something in the genre. And even if it takes another 10 years what does it matter as long as you don't invest prematurely ? Are they aggressively calling grandmas and rip them off with the good old "Hey its me, Chris Robert your favorite space game developer" scheme ?
Are you implying that grandmas are more vulnerable that dumb kids and manchildren on the internet?

People who don't know what they are doing and act against their interests deserve help. Depending on the seriousness of the issue, this help could also be mandatory. Luckily, in this case it's not that serious: at best someone is going to lose some money, tough luck.

However, it's still fun seeing these poor desperates clinging to the everyday more distant dream of SC not being a scam.

Myobi

Liturgist
The reason why pledges aren't coming down and set new records is that guinea pigs are already testing it and like new updates they churn up every once in a blue moon. Yes it is pre-alpha, it doesn't have 120 systems like promised and bunch of other stuff, nor do they seem to hit any of the release windows they keep giving, but there is already game-play there and despite it, idiots seem to like it to the point of continually throwing thousands of dollars at it.

@https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Alpha

Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[162] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[163] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[162] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[163] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[161] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release,[162] but this can vary significantly based on the scope of content and assets any given game has.

There ya go my dude, no need to thank me.

Bloody hell, Belle Delphine my fuckin ass, Chris is the true and only simp queen, and when I grow up I want to be just like him, imagine having all these mother fuckers throwing over 300 million dollars at you while sucking your balls over a fucking video game demo, what a fucking legend, haters gonna hate!

Latelistener

Arcane
It's funny that no one aside from old timers like Braben and Egosoft haven't tried creating something like Star Citizen, but perhaps on a smaller scale.

One could think there would be a space sim rush, considering how much Chris already got from "pre-orders".

flyingjohn

Arcane

More seriously though, sometimes I wonder whether Chris Roberts isn't actively counting on someone/something shutting down his company due to litigation, at which point he will bow out, cancel the project, and run with the money.

You know how people buy new iphones to show off how rich they are to their neighbors?
Well star citizen is the ultimate gamer version of that.Random rich guy can buy a fancy expensive ship or two and parade it in front of the peasants.
And the devs don't even have to implement anything requiring work,just the basic ability to fly the ships in space without the game crashing and people will continue buying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom