Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Installed, ready to play be a test subject. Probably i will just go for Star Marine mode for now to get around FPS mode and keybinds. Seems like effectively FPS arena like Quake3/UT.

^ Top  
  2. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    That didn't take long:

• Funny x 8
    • incline x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. polo Erudite

polo
    We need 10 more millions to fix that ctd, plz gib.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Surprisingly for now this is my only crash. I am fucking around in some megacity and it didn't yet crash once.

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grokalibre Savant

Grokalibre
    That "sits in a chair emergent gameplay" looks pretty amazing, I'm hyped!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    It is not emergent gameplay. It is full Cluthu side of game. Look i found cultists:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    no

the actual development is around 5 years

• cool story bro x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Managed to pick up package, grab a drink and hot dog, leave planet, arrive on planet and like 500m away from delivering and earning first time money it disconnected me from server.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Either way, enjoying vistas for now.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    ^ Top  
  9. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    tbh if this goes on, the space engine devs will have a working and probably better looking game out before CIG does.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Grokalibre Savant

Grokalibre
    ^ Top  
  11. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    my latest creation. Context: I was picking up several packages at the same time, i had filled ship with 5 boxes and this was supposed to my last stop to get 6th package and off we go DHL style to one planet to get all those packages to one place for sweet sweet money. About 60 minutes on playing getting those previous boxes.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS

Can't fly away since my ship was stored and can't get to lobby which means i have to quit to main menu which will remove all those packages i collected.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Myobi Learned

Myobi

Well the elevator panel tech is clearly working well.. now we just need the door tech patch to be implemented.

Edited: x,D

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Chunkyman Savant

Chunkyman
    The last few times I played it wasn't functionally playable, I kept getting random crashes or game breaking bugs. I'll give it another year if/when they release one of their big hype expos where they show off new features added in the next major pass. As it was, the gameplay I did experience was too little. They really need to focus in on more varied and interesting quests. They already have the basics down in terms of planet tech, ship functionality, etc. that you could build a good game off of that frame, the actual quests/gameplay/interactions simply needs fleshing out and refinement.

^ Top  
  14. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    I have like 7 hours currently and i got 3 crashes. 1 clearly due to game. 2 times because my OC gpu couldn't keep up had to lower clocks a bit. There are few glitches, like NPCs spawning on top of another or them not sitting properly, some glitches when it comes to lighting. Once i got that door glitch.

Crash/glitch wise it is not that bad. I've seen worse.

Imho right now imho biggest problem is performance. In space it is pretty easy to get 60fps but if you land on MicroTech or Larvile FPS drops like a rock to 20-30 fps max and you sometimes get stutters for split second. Obviously game is not optimized yet completely but my GTX980 clearly struggles and it gets 100% non stop. That being said game looks really fucking good and i multiple times just stopped what i was doing to just stare at screen so maybe game is optimized but simply requires good GPU.
    CPU wise it seems to be really light on CPU, getting barely 20-30% on my Ryzen3600 so someone with i5-2500k oc should be good with some decent GPU.

Either way speaking of mentioned by me Cluthu cult. Here is higher ascended Cluthu cultist:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    you can see yongyea aging if you put all his star citizen videos together

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Old Old x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Today aside from one crash surprisingly without any bug.

Game has its ups. This is probably the first game where they made cities so fucking huge that when you see them in motion it stuns you completely. So far i have seen Larville (mining town) and microTech (hightech) and both were stunning. I am yet to see ArchCorp which is supposedly whole planet one big city.

Also i kind of see where they are going with those city designs and use of trains. If they come up with some new gameplay elements they can just add new district to town and connect it with train easily.

Either way the tube i was talking about:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • nice nice x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    ArcCorp is the weakest of the bunch imo. It seems that they had to make some hard sacrifices to get the planet city into the game and it does not look as good as the original CitCon demo, or even the old "social module" of Area 18. Also feels a little small compared to the other landing zones, not like the bustling metropolis that it should be.

^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    So far for me star of the show of their approach to physicality of everything. I thought that it will be super annoying to pickup boxes, take train to starport, manually put that box into your ship, manually take off, manually fly off in atmosphere until you can spool quantum drive safely, go via quantum travel to your destination which takes a lot of time depending on destination in system. It takes about 4-5 minutes to cross system i think and do the same procedure when you arrive.

But for some reason it is fun. Especially when you do multiple delivery missions so you trying to set up best path + you can do trading at the same time which causes you small puzzle in your cargo hold. Seems like they have something going on here by creating those different system that start to play together.

Gamepley comes here from creating such a path between deliveries to create fastest route and best way to get good cargo for trade AND at the same time arrive at destination with big trading are since only those can take full cargo hold of goods. So the real gameplay here is not picking up stuff but that brainwork between various deliveries, cargo and where to go.

Well i will have to see it. I didn't go there because unlike Hurston, Crusader or microTech there is only 1 planet and 1 moon while rest have multiple moons which naturally causes much more missions to exist. Generally speaking most of deliveries go to New Babbidge on microtech. They got neat idea how to utilize whole city with it. Basically each of those huge buildings there have landing pad and to deliver package you have to land on specified highriser. Though i would wish more different between landing pads.

^ Top  
  19. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It is very unfair to judge a game so harshly when it has been in development for only four years.

I mean, they have come a long distance since they announced the game three years ago.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • nice nice x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    I spent my money on this thing years ago, with no plans to spend any more, but I still play it from time to time. This is pretty much what I do. I guess in my old age, I'm easily entertained, but there's something oddly relaxing about slipping into the routine for a couple of hours. I do get crashes though, which can be a deskflipper if I've got a hold full of cargo, but I haven't lost anything too expensive... yet.

One aspect of the physicality you mention that can be annoying is starting at one of the big cities that require taking a train ride to get to my ship. I dunno, once you've done the Bladerunner-esque fly through at Area 18 or the tube run at New Babbage 20 times, it gets a little annoying when I just want to get into my ship and start cargo runs. I used to just put down somewhere and log out from the bed of my Freelancer, but there seems to be a new bug that causes the ship to be in the middle of the sun when I log back in. It doesn't blow up or anything, but you're just floating in space and in the dead center of the system from the map view. Now I just stop at one of the R&R's to log out. I avoid Olisar like the plague, though.

^ Top  
  21. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    The truth is that other developers can only dream about acomplishing as much as CIG did in just two years of development, but what can I say, haters gonna hate. : ]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    How does Star Citizen runs without online as some sort of test of SQ42 in future ? Well you can turn Arena Commander which is deathmatch/team deatchmatch wave combat and there is single player option which doesn't use servers at all.

This is my performance on Ryzen3600 + GTX980 + 16GB ram. Performance is pretty much perfect and i often get 80-90fps on highest settings @1920X1080. If i woud lover my res to 900p i would easily go above 100fps.

Got nice deal on used Thrustmaster T.160000. Cost me like 40$ it will come handy in SC, X4, Avorion and few other space sim games i play now. There is also auction going for 2 other ones so i made my bet at 3$ each if luck goddess will be benevolent to me i will get second one for extra cheap as i see that not many people are buying any sticks on that auction site.

This was joystick made especially for Elite:Dangerous (thus colors) so perfect for space games as joystick turns in place to get that yaw control and has hat for streafing, thrust slider and plenty of buttons on sides (each side 6 buttons so 12 total on base)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    ^ Top  
  23. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    it's supposed to be the other way around

^ Top  
  24. Myobi Learned

Myobi
    MMO-Champion SC thread is a gold mine, I've deleted my account cuz fuck that moderation system, but I still go there just for that thread alone, it's fucking amazing and I highly recommend it as bathroom reading.

This Kenn dude, my god, what a legend, the dude is all over the place on this damn thing, it’s Schrodinger Citizen taken to an entire new level, it’s unbelievable, if you search for his posts alone, you can see shit shifting with every new post, one day the game is already released, the next the game still wasn’t released, the time of development depends on the wind direction, and apparently, now, the pledges that used to be often referred as an “investment”, are “donations”, therefore it’s none of your fucking business what Chris-senpai does with it <3

This small part of the community is really the cherry on top of the cake, but I agree, this "game" will make history.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Today i fucked up. I had like 500 thousand which was almost whole my wealth i got since i started playing (outside of spending for some stupid shit like 50k) and i bought cargo from one station for that 500k. The idea was one of the oldest one in human civilization. To sell it for profit on somewhere else.

I was going via quantum travel to other side of system which is about 5-6 minutes trip and i figured out i can just relax. So in my amazing wisdom i just relaxed and closed eyes.

I woke up next day, ship crashed into planet and my cargo gone.

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

either way someone made it:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.