1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Its been going for almost a decade, number getting higher n higher each year, by fairly large amounts, " haVe U gUyS CoNsiDereD FwEE weEkEnds", yeah dude, totally makes fuckin sense now, thanks Alexander DeLarge Fuckin Brain.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alexander DeLarge Arbiter

Alexander DeLarge
    It's a multiplayer game that's getting substantial updates every three months. Makes sense to me.

• No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    It’s a multiplayer game project, in a pre-alpha phase, with very limited content even after a decade worth of “substantial” updates. Still, I have no doubts that it’s getting a fair share of new backers every now and then, I’m also pretty sure that it has a fair amount of them constantly dropping fat bucks on it every fucking month, what I find it weird is that that’s enough to keep this big ass non-stop growth over all these fucking years.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Some people just want to belong to a cult. If it had been just about the game this would have tanked after 5 years when it became clear that apart from crowdfunding the business plan was nonexistent.

I mean what have they to show other than a buggy prototype that needs hardware from 2030. Elite Dangerous started at the exact same time and is already outdated, becoming replaced with a sequel soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    As irritated as I am with the game, I have to admit that I still like the idea of it and hope something comes out of it. I won't be spending any more money on it, but if they do manage to get something put together eventually, I'll definitely play. You can see all kinds of potential in it when you're not raging over the bugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alexander DeLarge Arbiter

Alexander DeLarge

[​IMG]

• gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Man, I wish I had bought some super rare ship or account in the beginning that I could now sell for a huge profit.
    Just like I wish I had kept my two bitcoins that I owned before they were worth a damn.

I'm not good at this investment stuff.
    I never would have imagined that this scheme would last as long and as successful as it did.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Hmmm i don't believe this. Is there an actual legally binding data or is it just some spread sheet than someone made? Is there any taxation data,do they even have to pay tax on those funding money?

^ Top  
  9. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    By the way, what happened to this last SQ42 alpha "this time foh sure" release, wasn't it supposed to come out last month or some shit?

^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    yes. Posted it like page or two ago.

^ Top  
  11. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There is nothing legally binding in this data. I didn't see any tax/company reporting document posted recently in this thread, though I did link to some UK records (which are accurate and have legal requirements, though are still subject to accounting magic)

^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    That data comes from those documents it is just more user friendly to see. If you want you can easily google their UK financials.

^ Top  
  13. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I did, and you can see they only uploaded their 2019 stuff on 6th Jan or 31 Dec:
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10934694/filing-history
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history

I've just gave it a quick skim, all of the companies report loss in 2019. Also, I didn't see headcount listed, just amount they spent on salaries.

^ Top  
  14. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Honestly, Star Citizen is beginning to resemble tulip mania more and more.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    I love reading backers talking about CIG n SC, its truly fascinating. Simply insane how some of these people allow themselves to get emotionally attached to someone elses fucking business to this level, what the hell does one must go through to see a company as something as a friend?

Haven't had the courage to jump into the official forums yet, but time to time I still pay a quick visit to other forums to see what's up, and I must admit, mmo champion moderation kind of sucks balls but it promotes some very entertaining threads...

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1209438-Megathread-Star-Citizen/page563

2-3 page discussion about whether if this "massive" multiplayer online game allows 40 online players per server or 50, and its gloriously retarded.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    yeah it is retarded because there is literally counter xx/50 and list in game with all the players on server and you can text and call each one of them.

And yeah server meshing is a big thing. Because you go from 1 server per whole system to 1 static server per location which should increase player cap drastically, though i don't expect more than 500-1000 for now due to gameplay reasons.

There is also V2 which is supposed to be dynamic server allocation with automatic subdivision of locations which is supposed to give them no instancing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. Alexander DeLarge Arbiter

Alexander DeLarge
    Even at the current 50 player capacity... If the server meshing feature works and you can land on ArcCorp, see fifty players in the spaceport, hop on the monorail and you have another 50 people in the new district, people really need to rethink what constitutes "massively multiplayer".
    Looks like you could easily have two or three instances per city.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    I have no clue, without the game installed you don't have access to the player list (I think?), which is pretty much the problem there, people are just going by the the patch notes, where its stated that the player number was reduced to 40 due server problems, meanwhile the guy who claims to be an active player and that the limit is 50 instead of just uploading a screenshot proving that's no longer the case, is just dragging that entire shit show with passive aggressive shit cuz "dem haters". Its retarded in a multi perspective way.

No, they don't.

The generally agreed upon definition, the one currently in wikipedia is :

"A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG, or more commonly, MMO) is an online game with large numbers of players, often hundreds or thousands, on the same server."

Otherwise, by your own fucking logic, almost every online multiplayer game out there can be considered an MMO, and that's just fucking dumb as it goes against the damn purpose of the fucking term.

^ Top  
  19. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    I have a qustion to those who follow the SC tech closely. Let's say we have mesh servers A and B, both fully populated (50 ppl?). Can people on A interact in any way with people on B?

^ Top  
  20. Alexander DeLarge Arbiter

Alexander DeLarge
    If you're able to encounter hundreds of people online in a matter of minutes in a persistent environment, who gives a shit if the capacity for a singular city district is 50 or 500? Character persistence has always been the defining trait of MMOs and games like Star Citizen are definitely blurring the line on what constitutes as an MMO. Even that ARK dinosaur game blurs the line when you start talking about being able to hop back and forth between 50-140 player servers running different maps ("zones") with a persistent character standing at X,Y coordinate with persistent stats and a persistent inventory.

Star Citizen's mesh server technology is pretty much the same thing, it just makes those "zones" invisible from the client perspective and no one will really even realize it's happening around them like they don't really notice people phasing in and out of their session in Dark Souls.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    ^ Top  
  21. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    What does it mean "to encounter"? EVE online is properly massive, and "encountering" people means you can kill them (or they you). Market is common etc. And it's really laughable to call 50-100 massive, when in EVE massive means 1k+ people, on single server/grid shooting each other.

People phasing in/out just means you can interact with 50 people at any one time. I think even WoW at the start had 40 people raids (never played it, so unsure). So 50 is not too impressive.

^ Top  
  22. Myobi Scholar

Myobi

Let’s not pretend here that Star Citizen invented the wheel mate.

Lots of other video games have been using systems like this for awhile now, both MMOs & Multiplayer games, there is nothing really new about it.

Splitting your insanely large community trough multiple small instances doesn’t make your game a MASSIVE multiplayer game, Warframe is not an MMO, Path of Exile is not an MMO, League of Legends is not an MMO, Fornite still ain’t an MMO, and Star Citizen as it stands sure as fuck still ain’t an MMO.

… and yes, I’m aware that it’s a “temporary” thing due testing reasons, that the final product is actually supposed to be an actual MMO, but as I said, as it stands, it’s not a god damn MMO regardless how you try to spin it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    But first, we must define what is "massive".

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    my PP. ah ah ah.

..."often hundreds or thousands"... "on the same server".

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    EVE Online is a massive illusion though, apart from communication between players and the shared market it's actually highly instanced, and any time you do get a few hundred players in a massive battle in an instance, the instance in question grinds to a halt. (I think the instances are called "boxes" in EVE?)

CCP really latched on to a neat trick when they made an MMO whose assets amount to 1) notional empty space and 2) a few spaceships and asteroids, etc.

It's good though because it means they can give the spaceships a new coat of paint every few years. :)

Re. SC, in some ways it's a shameful thing; but in another sense, it's a tribute to the great hunger out there for a total escapist space game that "does it all" - space, ground even atmospheric flight. And not only does it all, but does it all in the most realistic way possible.

*goes back to playing Stellar Tactics*

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.