Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    NFT's. :smug:

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Myobi Scholar

Myobi

Sort of the same way that companies such as Bethesda do, selling 40-60$ early access’s, that remain broken for years, or even filled with nasty ass gameplay affecting microtransactions, while dem fangirls still go around forums defending that sort of bullshit… people are just dumb I guess, crazy, I know.

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Ok, that's just NASTY!!
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damn devs and their ASSinine practices.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    Run for President.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    CIG is still at it. They haven't given up. They have however said that old-timer backers - typically concierges - doesn't need to keep spending. There are enough new players coming in. Think about that. We are providing 650 people with jobs. I have fun playing as it is.
    We saw with Cyberpunk that these big new games are much, much, much more difficult to develop than anybody had antecipated. Google gave up on their Stadia efforts. Amazon are struggling with their releases.
    CIG is doing their best. They might not be the most effectively run company in the world, but they are definitely making progress. Their development efforts are a beacon of hope for OASIS-scale projects in the future. If they some day get to a successful release other studios will see that it is possible and maybe attempt something similar. But unless technology like server meshing kan be open-sourced and shared, these new projects will take equally long time.
    We are looking at 10-years development as a new normal for larger projects. Having "players" as "testers" during development is probably a way this can work without excorbitant investor capital.

I develop myself, and I am just begtinning to understand how massive this undertaking is. By all means - do vent your frustrations every now and then. I do so myself, but don't point the scam finger at CIG. That is really unfair. It's OK to be impatient, but not to spread rumours about the motives and intentions of the employyes at CIG. They are obviously invested in this project as both future players and believers in what can be achieved.

Remember - server meshing might not work. It's a theory. A possible solution. It might have to be scrapped and a new solution invented. Which might easily add another 5 years of development time. This is the soone age of computing and lartge scale VR-worlds still. Don't knock it. It kinda already works.

• sheeple x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    According to some of the Evocati leaks, they have ICache in some of the developmental builds. Whilst they haven't released that for testing yet, it's starting to look like that might be coming online. And ICache was one of the big blockers. So we'll see what happens from there.

^ Top  
  8. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Yeah, its fucking impressive, shit… I can’t even imagine any other company holding this long while making the kind of cash CIG is making without even having to release a product :D

Wush, thank fucking god… after almost 10 years, and 350 million dollars down the road, we can finally put our wallets down? Can we, really? Daddy Chris won’t be mad? Daddy Chris always gets cranky when he is kept off his yatch for too long.

Ah yes we are, yes we are! … who’s a good boii, the goodest boiii!?!
    Some very special jobs too! Just ask daddy Chris close family members.

Good thing the entire thing ain’t relying on it then, right? RIGHT?!

Ah yes, star citizen, just as soon as quantum computing hits, because…

[​IMG]

... "kind of".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    30 years in the games industry and rich friends.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    3.13 just went to PTU it should be 2-3 weeks before it goes LIVE to everyone.

Testing Focus
    • Cave Entrances
    • FPS Cave Missions
    • Ship to Ship Docking
    • Signed Distance Fields (SDF) Shield Tech
    • Reputation gain/loss and Reputation UI
    • New Quantum Sensitive and Timed Delivery Missions
    • Pushables T0
    • Mounted Guns
    • Force Reactions - Staggers
    • Cyclone MT

• Funny Funny x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Hasn't saved people like Molyneux though. You need some serious power of manipulation to get to Christ Roberta's level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    Molyneux has more misses than anyone else I can think of. What was his last well received game? The original Black & White? That was over twenty years ago at this point. Fable was overhyped but the end result was decent if you don't know the backstory of what was promised.

At least with Chris Roberts you can fantasize about what he could've done without publisher restrictions and meddling, hence Star Citizen.

^ Top  
  13. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    The reason why they get so much money is accumulation of different things:

- Chris himself - being lead on good space games
    - ambitions goal - people are not willing to fund just another space game, they want total game changer, something new.
    - "I am PC game" - chasing PC exclusivity, there are shitload of guys who felt like shit that consoles "stole" limelight when it comes to technology and graphics.
    - transparent development - as much as people shit on delays and missing features there isn't any project in game world which has more interaction with community than SC. Literally 1000s of hours of videologs starting from 2012.
    - progress - another controversial. Yes delays, yes missing features but at the end of the day people see progress. Since end of 2018 also it became effectively a game and since 2020 it is very playable game. If they will deliver this year server meshing then those 350mln will probably double next year
    - targeting flight sim fans - we are talking about people who can easily spend $1000s of bucks on their flight sim rigs sometimes 10 000s bucks.

Imho the most important is that they are trying to build something truly never before seen and ambitious and unlike every other kickstarter or promised game they show slowly but steadfastly progress.

Imho it is kind of a project much like Everquest Next. It was so ambicious that would probably take devs 10 years to finish maybe more but everyone including me would love to see that game finished and try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. forumvisitor#451 Savant

forumvisitor#451
    That 2016 was 2016 a 2016 fantastic 2016 read 2016.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    They finally added rest of their teams including engine team to those roadmap progress tracker. Seems like Both Vulcan and server meshing will be coming shortly because they are both planned to finish work on them by end of may. So if there won't be delays (lol) it should come with 3.14 patch which should be around summer and about the time leaks said it will.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Their new cloud tech needed for Crusader gas giant and Orison landing zone there in action:

[​IMG]

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    You do bring up an interesting point with Stadia and Amazon. I also want to point out that for Roberts it might be the last chance to reach for fame. Because if he gives up or takes off with the money, hes done for permanently, since the internet has a long memory and people will not let him off so easilly. And let's be honest, this is him wanting to prove himself that the original WC franchise was not a fluke and his Hollywood venture was just a temporary fluke. I think his going to be either remembered as one of the ballsiest guys to pull off a project over such a long time or laughingstock used as a cautonery tale for future generations.

^ Top  
  19. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • No x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Y'all realize I copy-pasted that from their forums, right?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    I'll own up to thinking you were actually serious. That was the perfect degree of crazy, naive, hopeful, blind, and "I'm a developer myself". Well played sir. :salute:

^ Top  
  22. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Why would we?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not the first time he's dropped a copypasta.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Myobi Scholar

Myobi
    Bold of you to assume that I know him, or that I would remember him.

^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I mean, I remembered.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.