Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
I wish trailer would show how game actually performs. aka 20-30fps in cities on best rigs out there if server is full.

ADL

Prophet
I wish trailer would show how game actually performs. aka 20-30fps in cities on best rigs out there if server is full.
Just had a session like that. Annoying when it happens but I just rejoined and was getting three times the frame rate.

Perkel

Arcane
Just had a session like that. Annoying when it happens but I just rejoined and was getting three times the frame rate.

You joined empty session not full one. Also it depends on how long server is running since it accumulates bugs over time. If you get fresh server with no peaple in it you can even get 60fps in lorville and game feels completely different as server lag is non existent, npcs work properly without any animation bugs, everything is responsive as hell, rockets work without any lag and so on and so forth.

Perkel

Arcane
giphy.gif

ADL

Prophet
And they plan to make an MMO that will start to choke and die at only 50 players?

Their server tech is "coming soon" It is supposed to change that.

edit. Only few microissues left.

They still need to finish the Pixie Dust tech, to wrap up the Magic tech in order to move into Jesus tech.
this but unironically
If an out of the box solution for something like Star Citizen existed, you'd already be playing something else and this wouldn't be a $400 million project. There's a reason why massively multiplayer online games look and play worse than their multiplayer and singleplayer counterparts. If you want an MMO to play like a high fidelity immersive sim, strap yourselves in because that shit is being written from scratch.

Perkel

Arcane
Is there even any mmo in production that tries to push anything forward ?

Everyquest 2 was highly promising but it got nuked.

ADL

Prophet
New World is leveraging AWS on Lumberyard and is doing some Dark Souls-y combat with up to 1500 concurrent players. Besides The Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2 and EVE Online's interesting server architectures I can't think of anything innovative or interesting on the horizon.

Raph Koster's new company (UO/Star Wars Galaxies lead designer) is building something cloud native too but that's 5+ years out.
https://www.playableworlds.com/about/
https://www.playableworlds.com/news/riffs-by-raph:-what-does-cloud-native-even-mean/

ADL

Prophet
Wasn't New World just canceled like 2 weeks ago or something like that ?
The Lord of the Rings Online 2 was "cancelled" by Amazon because they couldn't agree to the terms with Tencent on their partnership. Tencent will probably put Digital Extremes on it and develop it internally. Everyone moved off New World to work on LOTRO2 is being moved back on New World and it's shaping up pretty well. They're putting out major systemic and content updates every three to four weeks.

Myobi

Liturgist
Shit, I love Star Citizen...

I dont know about you but as a backer every 2 weeks everyone is updated on the progress of whats being done with SQ42 so stop talking BS about them saying nothing.

Unless you work at the company you dont have any clue whatsoever about the management so stop with the BS of things you know nothing about, no company is ever managed properly, i think its about time you get a new argument as it doesnt have a leg to stand on.

The stretch goals kept going until just before 2015 so it was the community that wanted the game to keep growing larger so it wasnt really anything to do with management as it was the community that was pushing to expand the game. CR gave an option to expand the game or develop the first version and the community went with wanting everything that CR could give them.

So its not really a suprise when it takes a great deal longer to develop the much larger version of the game.

unless a project fails its not bad management, management is not just the person at the top its the whole chain of a company and every single company in existance has its management failures, if anyone claims otherwise they are just talking nonsense.

The community wanted a bigger game, so thats whats CR is given us and a larger game means it takes longer to develop, so unless the project completely fails then claiming a company has bad management is just an opinion.

The origional game was just going to be a pure space game and not much at all to do with planets, i much prefer waiting for the actual space game i have been waiting for instead of just another game that doesnt last all that long. Chris has already stated outright on many occasion he will not comprimise on his game so you just have to suck it up and wait until its ready.

I backed because i wanted a CR game where he does his best to make that game happen and accepting any and all risks that goes along with it, so failure to compromise is not a failure in management for developing the game you actually want. There are far too many lackluster space games and no other company is bothering to make them or at least one that gives the whole experience in one game.

As long as it launches and there is a decent playerbase that plays it then its not a failure is it, doesnt matter is management is good or bad a good game is still a good game.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As long as it launches
This is where it all falls apart. This game will never launch as a full game. It will forever be in development hell. Sure, there will be more and more game mechanics added, but it will never come together as a coherent, full game.

lightbane

Arcane
*Checks* wow, is this scam still ongoing after 8 years? At this point it's sadder than the average cult, I would say.

Myobi

Liturgist
As long as it launches
This is where it all falls apart. This game will never launch as a full game. It will forever be in development hell. Sure, there will be more and more game mechanics added, but it will never come together as a coherent, full game.

"no company is ever managed properly"

"unless a project fails it’s not bad management"

It's falling apart all over, since the very start...

ADL

Prophet
I'd say it's already pretty damn cohesive and acceptable if not for the performance issues and clunky interaction system. Add another system or two worth of locations and get server meshing in place and you can launch this thing within 2-3 years as a minimal viable product. Wouldn't be what was promised in the stretch goals but it's already more appealing to me than every other space sim on the market so I'd be satisfied with it.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game will launch when cucks stop buying 25 000$ ships, i.e. never. I always found it paradoxical-how can you be a person who has 25 000$ to spend and at the same time be the kind of person who would spend it on a jpeg?

Perkel

Arcane
how can you be a person who has 25 000$ to spend and at the same time be the kind of person who would spend it on a jpeg?

Not being poor. You would be surprised how much money people can spend on various shit.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not being poor. You would be surprised how much money people can spend on various shit.
Still, I find it hard to believe those who buy 25 000$ ships are millionaires or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom