Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist

ADL

Prophet
Money isn't the only issue. As someone else mentioned, the game will look like shit compared to modern games by the time they finish it.

There is such a thing as taking too long.
In the context of MMOs the game is still multiple generations ahead of anything we currently know about in development. Even New World a game built on the same engine by Amazon themselves looks primitive by comparison. Are there better looking games out there? Perhaps but none of them come anywhere near close to the scale and scope of Star Citizen and most of the unfavorable comparisons you could look at don't have networked multiplayer at all.
Settlement_01.jpg

DpbLJmMXoAIv4ov.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
In the context of MMOs the game is still multiple generations ahead of anything we currently know about in development.

Jfc dude, are you trying to compete with those mother fuckers in the MMO-Champ forums? Imagine saying that when talking about an “MMO” that can barely host 50 players without committing seppuku... holy fuck.

ADL

Prophet
Kojima's Silent Hill demo might "look better" but it's just a hallway so that's a retarded comparison.

Fifty concurrent players is more than zero. The only thing that comes even remotely close to Star Citizen visually and has multiplayer mechanics is Battlefield and Red Dead Online and those are significantly smaller, mechanically simpler games. I'd bet money on ten to fifteen years from now people still being impressed at how well Star Citizen holds up for assets primarily created in the 2010s.

Myobi

Liturgist
In the context of MMOs the game is still multiple generations ahead of anything we currently know about in development.

an “MMO” that can barely host 50 players without committing seppuku...

Fifty concurrent players is more than zero.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perkel My apologies, I finally see it now, I knew that retardation was very profitable, I just wasn't aware it was a renewable resource.

ADL

Prophet
I'm not setting the bar low at all. A lot of people seem to think that a singleplayer photorealistic hallway to a persistent universe space sim that intends to be an MMO is an apt comparison. There's a reason why MMOs look the way they do. There's a reason why MMOs play the way they do and nothing comes close to Star Citizen in either regard.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm not setting the bar low at all. A lot of people seem to think that a singleplayer photorealistic hallway to a persistent universe space sim that intends to be an MMO is an apt comparison.
I wonder if they still have MMO ambitions. How many players can they currently have, 50? Even Battlefield is an MMO by those standards.

I wonder if Star Citizen will be the first 1 billion dollar game. They are easily half-way there.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Is just money laundering.

There are not 50k+ idiots who spent 5k+ on jpeg ships and also many millions of fools who paid full price for the broken base game.

Do some math.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Is just money laundering.
In order to launder money, you have to get some of them back. I don't see how this shitfest can be used as a money laundering front, it's a money-burning operation.

They are burning nothing, 10 years and "hundreds" of staff... for a alpha tech demo? Oh right, is cuz they keep redo everything lol, yes believe that.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They are burning nothing, 10 years and "hundreds" of staff... for a alpha tech demo? Oh right, is cuz they keep redo everything lol, yes believe that.
Paying salaries is quite real spending. And they do pay salaries and have a ridiculously large team. If anything, it is clear they are throwing money like crazy at this mismanaged product. Money laundering doesn't work like that.

ADL

Prophet
In the context of MMOs the game is still multiple generations ahead of anything we currently know about

Star Citizen = wonky physics so funny
other MMOs = no physics
Point still stands, Star Citizen has the intent of being an MMO and it's doing stuff no other MMOs are doing. If something like Star Citizen could exist without unprecedented development, it would already exist and we wouldn't be looking at a $350 million project.

ADL

Prophet
No really, where's all the webms of mounts on ice skates like we're still playing Everquest back in 1999? Because that's still a thing and this is what Star Citizen is competing with on the MMO side of things. It even holds its own against high fidelity single player games too, bugs and jank aside. It's fucking retarded low effort shitposting that people are going after one of the single instances of innovation in this dead and stagnant genre as if there's the expectation that any of this should be working perfectly. If some out of the box solution for a high fidelity, networked space sim existed, Star Citizen wouldn't have raised $350 million.

Exactly, Star Citizen is LARPing as a The Best MMO Game Ever.
When it works, behind all the technical issues and bugs, it's genuinely one of the best games ever and with each quarterly release it gets better and better. Pretty much everyone in game says that if it weren't for the bugs and optimization issues they'd make it their primary game. That's the real reason it's getting all this money.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Star Citizen is gonna have the best community ever given that it filters both plebs and the cunts too prideful to admit they were wrong :incline:

Sweet irony aside, Star Citizen ALREADY has the best community. Not even Bethesda modding community was able to provide me with such a good free source of entertainment.

Myobi

Liturgist
You dont judge a game until you play the final product, if you do then your just making a biased opinion.

Its chris roberts if players backed him they were backing him to make his dream game regardless of what it took to develop it, his reputation was already well known so you cant complain when he does the same things when he said thats what he was going to do, he has stated many times that he will not release anything that he isnt happy with so you just have to accept everything that goes along with CR making this game.

It just fucking oozes wisdom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom