Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Surprise update on the dynamic economy system

There's a reason every backer wants to kiss Tony's arse whenever he appears. He's actually knowledgeable about his field. Presents his info succintly and without bullshit, and finally is one of the only people at CIG who know what they're doing whilst also making the majority of the features that Star Citizen promised. Really great video.

Perkel

Arcane
Some tech details from video on bigger tech goals that were mentioned:

- icache is nearly finished, other devs said it was stated for summer so it seems they are fairly confident getting it in summer.
- initial implementation of Quanta stated for "later" this year. So if no delays probably fall/winter
- there are things in quanta required for server meshing to work properly (air traffic control) so server meshing initial implementation will be after Quanta initial implementation.

The new stuff is that they are going with X4 like virtual AI simulation for at least decent chunk of AI in game. And that AI will actually be able to do more stuff that just go in line, they will be able to line on stations and do stuff like trade, go to bar etc.

Speaking of which they should release Quanta as separate game. Their viewer and editor looks hella fun to make some economic game out of it.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Surprise update on the dynamic economy system
interesting but its a pipedream. It's cool they're attempting it though but to be honest from my own experiences with persistence its better to have an overruling abstraction rather than tie everything to the game environments.
Even with what little abstraction is going on here its still simulating a lot. Yes I appreciate its a multiplayer game if it were single player I'd advocate going full abstraction where assumptions are factored out when a player or event happens rest of the time the simulation runs entirely on assumption.

Anyway sounds cool and all, and it'd be good if they pulled it off but given how long its already been on this game and they're only now talking emergent systems for the economy... this games never coming out lol.

Speaking of which they should release Quanta as separate game. Their viewer and editor looks hella fun to make some economic game out of it.

I agree with that somewhat, they could easily do a grand strategy game with this.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
interesting but its a pipedream. It's cool they're attempting it though but to be honest from my own experiences with persistence its better to have an overruling abstraction rather than tie everything to the game environments.
I don't think it's too far fetched since the "quanta" aren't physicalized. Just basic decision trees and a handful of sim attributes. From the looks of it in that video they already have the hard part done for the economy simulation. I do kind of question if it's worth it, instead of just letting supply and demand be determined by the players.

The cool part to me is the "vNPC" idea, that they would have persistent, named NPCs running around interacting with players. When you run into a guy with the same name, it wouldn't just be another randomized NPC spawned with the same randomized name, it would actually be the same NPC crossing your path again. Not that I would expect it anytime soon, they don't even have NPCs yet who do more than walk a particular patrol and do FPS combat.

Myobi

Liturgist
YjQZ0s1.png

Aw yeah, see Bethesda, this is how you sell fucking blue!

Hurry up bois, its still "in stock", but we never know when they will run out of the blue.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Perkel

Arcane
Is that... sixty bucks for a paint scheme?

yeah, though most of those pains later you can buy in game for in game money pretty cheap.

Myobi you nigger. Did you try it ? Free fly week is on so you can try it for free. I can't wait to read your experience. Hope it crashes every 2 minutes. Also you need at minimum 16gb of ram and an SSD.

Myobi

Liturgist
Myobi you nigger. Did you try it ? Free fly week is on so you can try it for free. I can't wait to read your experience. Hope it crashes every 2 minutes. Also you need at minimum 16gb of ram and an SSD.

Its Sir nigger for you, cunt. I promise once I move in August, I’ll waste my fucking time with this shit, where I’m currently living, I’m stuck with an ADSL connection of 4Mb, and I just cba spending days downloading that shit just to suffer through that dreadful experience.

I’ll do even better, I’ll fucking record it if you want.

Perkel

Arcane
Some new info from SCleaks:

Star Citizen:
- There is huge ship rework coming in next update 3.14 and was main reason why they removed a lot of stated 3.14 goals as this ship rework will be huge. Aside from SCleaks one of CIG guys slipped up in one of interviews that this change will be "apocalyptic". SC guys state it will be more than that. CIG currently works on Capacitors (easy), Components (hard) and physicalized armor (hard). Probably two of those if not all will be going into ships next update. How many ships it will cover not known.
- There is actual 4.0 on dev roadmap (internal roadmap) now which was added lately but no date or even quarter. Internally they talk about end of 2021 but might slip to start of 2022 as it is heavily tied to core tech progress which they think is finally coming up this year (server meshing, icashe etc.)
- Internally they talk about 4.0 as Phase 2 of SC. Phase one was release of 3.0 with Port Olisar and start of persistent universe and Phase 2 will start with dynamic event where Port Olisar will be destroyed. Port Olisar replacement above new Crusader landing zone is almost finished and will replace PO after that event.
- Phase 2 is named as P2 due to several key tech things being finished and them moving from creating systems and tech to using that to produce more content.
- Phase 2 will still have some tech development but it will be minor stuff compared to phase 1.
- Pyro is mostly done when it comes to planets as they are reaching Stanton like quality . One big station is still missing and they are doing space scaping with gasclouds. It is supposed to go into SC with 4.0

Squadron 42
-
First half of campaign is mostly out of white box phase (assets finished, textured etc. being ready for lighting team etc)
- Most of ship changes above are dictated by SQ42 needs. They are trying to finish up all ship tech quick to get gold standard on few ships player will use in campaign.

Citizencon
-
4.0 reveal and possibly which Quarter it will come out
- Aside from Pyro they will show other systems they are working on (we know they work on Odin for SQ42 and Nyx)
- SQ42 "details" probably still no date or even Q for beta.

Perkel

Arcane
That quote isn't a lie.

When Chris launched kickstarter for his project back in GDC2012 he had like 5 people working past year on early prototype which had both that trailer and early very crude version of game where player could get into ship and fly around. Obviously as project grew things moved to stratosphere with features.

I watched it back then live when he announced it as i watched various GDC panelists. I timestamped you exact quote and if you look at video you will see just how crude it was back then compared to now. And this was single player not an mmo part. This is the level of fidelity you could expect for that 6mln crowdfunding initial goal. 24 of missions in style of this video.

Last edited:
Some new info from SCleaks:

Star Citizen:
- There is huge ship rework coming in next update 3.14 and was main reason why they removed a lot of stated 3.14 goals as this ship rework will be huge. Aside from SCleaks one of CIG guys slipped up in one of interviews that this change will be "apocalyptic". SC guys state it will be more than that. CIG currently works on Capacitors (easy), Components (hard) and physicalized armor (hard). Probably two of those if not all will be going into ships next update. How many ships it will cover not known.
- There is actual 4.0 on dev roadmap (internal roadmap) now which was added lately but no date or even quarter. Internally they talk about end of 2021 but might slip to start of 2022 as it is heavily tied to core tech progress which they think is finally coming up this year (server meshing, icashe etc.)
- Internally they talk about 4.0 as Phase 2 of SC. Phase one was release of 3.0 with Port Olisar and start of persistent universe and Phase 2 will start with dynamic event where Port Olisar will be destroyed. Port Olisar replacement above new Crusader landing zone is almost finished and will replace PO after that event.
- Phase 2 is named as P2 due to several key tech things being finished and them moving from creating systems and tech to using that to produce more content.
- Phase 2 will still have some tech development but it will be minor stuff compared to phase 1.
- Pyro is mostly done when it comes to planets as they are reaching Stanton like quality . One big station is still missing and they are doing space scaping with gasclouds. It is supposed to go into SC with 4.0

Squadron 42
-
First half of campaign is mostly out of white box phase (assets finished, textured etc. being ready for lighting team etc)
- Most of ship changes above are dictated by SQ42 needs. They are trying to finish up all ship tech quick to get gold standard on few ships player will use in campaign.

Citizencon
-
4.0 reveal and possibly which Quarter it will come out
- Aside from Pyro they will show other systems they are working on (we know they work on Odin for SQ42 and Nyx)
- SQ42 "details" probably still no date or even Q for beta.
Oh fuck me, wouldn't it be nice if they can actually get the core tech finished. I can't be arsed to defend the game anymore so if CIG can just shut everyone up by proving the tech is deliverable that would be nice.

Myobi

Liturgist
I can't be arsed to defend the game anymore

Filthy traitors like you don’t deserve a place in the mighty Star Citizen community anyway.

Out with the weak! Only true believers with fat wallets shall remain!

…I bet you didn’t even bought the blue, you disgust me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom