Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
I've never seen that video before. That's what people whine about not getting back in 2014? :lol:
I'll take the Star Citizen+SQ42 we're getting now.

It looks very bad compared to now but at the time it was literally beyond everything graphically. Also their first trailer based upon that is still looking great when you remove all that shitty running animation add some music and shit.

The first part of trailer, the text about "being PC game" is kind of important in context. Back in 2012 PC gaming didn't really have any games pushing envelope. Almost all AAA games moved to consoles leaving PC only indies and big devs even if exclusive didn't consider making graphicaly demanding games.

I am 100% sure that push for graphics and being PC master race contributed to why it got so much money.

Data4

Arcane
Some new info from SCleaks:

Star Citizen:
- There is huge ship rework coming in next update 3.14 and was main reason why they removed a lot of stated 3.14 goals as this ship rework will be huge. Aside from SCleaks one of CIG guys slipped up in one of interviews that this change will be "apocalyptic".

I hope that means a full wipe. For no other reason than because the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be glorious. I stopped playing a few months ago because it stopped being fun with trading broken and 30K's. I'm still a fan in a broad sense, but at heart I'm still a troll.

Perkel

Arcane
I hope that means a full wipe. For no other reason than because the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be glorious. I stopped playing a few months ago because it stopped being fun with trading broken and 30K's. I'm still a fan in a broad sense, but at heart I'm still a troll.

I don't know how they did it but 3.13.1 is by far the most stable SC i have played. I joined via someone gifting me copy in 3.9 and back then you couldn't fly for more than 2-3 hours without 30k or some bug that destroys your ship or you and the more people would play with you the bugs and 30k would rise exponentially.
Today i had 5 hour session with 2 other people and everything worked we got only one bug where one of Rocs got lag and fell through Constelation cargo floor on the ground but we loaded it up no problem. I was even more shocked that that Krugger thing at the back at Constelation didn't have issues either usually when CIG releases new feature it is usually half broken but ship to ship docking with Krugger works really well.
Basically we loaded up two ROCs and i was flying Krugger around scaning for resources so we went from ore to ore without any searching delay and we made about 700k each in like 3-4 hours. Later we tried to fly in sqadron where each of us took small fighter like Aurora or Avenger and whole squadron quantum jump stuff worked well, we did few missions together and we logged off in beds.
We finished whole thing with new mission where we went cave spelunking in search of bandits which didn't lag much and could actually shoot.

I mean if SC would work like this all the time it would be actually pretty fun game to play.

Perkel

Arcane
Free Flight week numbers in $$$ for CIG. They will break easily 400mln this year.

unknown.png

Myobi

Liturgist
Honestly, I still don’t get it.

Usually, crowdfunded projects get a lot of cash right when the gates open, slowing down little by little, till the final push, where they start increasing again… Star Citizen had it’s Kickstarter, what? 9 years ago? … and to this day people with fat wallets are still materializing out of thin air to throw money at the damn thing, more and more by the year, considering that space games target a very niche crowd, it’s oddly impressive.

Then again! If we consider the option that these reports are as accurate as their release date estimates, than shit might just start making some fucking sense =/

Dexter

Arcane
When Chris launched kickstarter for his project back in GDC2012 he had like 5 people working past year on early prototype which had both that trailer and early very crude version of game where player could get into ship and fly around. Obviously as project grew things moved to stratosphere with features.
The "KickStarter Trailer" and "Early Prototype" (if you want to call it that, there was nothing playable about it) to Hype up retards was literally put together by CryTek: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...u-like-to-know-more.75932/page-7#post-2316691

Perkel

Arcane
The "KickStarter Trailer" and "Early Prototype" (if you want to call it that, there was nothing playable about it) to Hype up retards was literally put together by CryTek: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...u-like-to-know-more.75932/page-7#post-2316691

You link to your own post which has in it "I heard the prototype was produced in Germany, more exactly that CryTek helped making it"

Putting aside your "source"

1. There is no reason why CryTek outside of engine help would help them make it
2. They were begging for money, even less reason for CryTek to make it.
3. CryTek did help them with engine later on according to courtfiles but that is standard help engine maker provides for studios.
4. CIG poached a lot of Crytek staff when Crytek was in troubles about 2-3 years after kickstarter and Crytek was near bankruptcy

On other hand we know about 5 people who worked on demo for nearly a year. Which is reasonable amount of time for what demo was. Which was basically 2 different small ship, carrier, 3-4 rooms in carrier with hangar, some pre-scripted npcs, walking around + cockpit animation and some flight mechanic with pew pew lasers.

there was nothing playable about it

Watch video i provided it was playable. Just not that much content.

Either way stretchgoals completely changed scope of the game. For example this is city landing at ArcCorp when game was still supposed to be without actual planetary landings. Basically prescripted landing path:

Dexter

Arcane
You link to your own post which has in it "I heard the prototype was produced in Germany, more exactly that CryTek helped making it"
I know for a fact that CryTek worked on a lot of the assets, engine implementation and making that KickStarter video, I also know that it was all staged and there was nothing "playable" about that build, since I know someone who worked there at the time. I linked to that post to point out that I brought it up while the KickStarter was still running (and then several times since). There's no "magic build" that Glorious Leader Roberts put together with his heroic 5-man squad. If you want to thank someone for it, thank CryTek. :lol:

And since we're talking about the KickStarter again, I took a quick look to see what some of the happy Backers of this success story of a Space Multiplayer "box delivery game" 10 years in the making had to say about it and how they're expressing their happiness and eternal gratitude about the wondrous results: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments
starshitizenkickypk2v.jpg

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I know for a fact that CryTek worked on a lot of the assets, engine implementation and making that KickStarter video

Oh yes. Because Crytek didn't have anything to do that to do kickstarter for someone making everything on their own and then receive 0$ from it other than maybe some vague promise that they will give them 5% or 10% from sold copies.

Either Crytek was run bunch of morons or Chris Roberts has 10 in Charisma and some charisma perks where he could find some AAA studio to work for him for free.

Also making that demo on Cryengine wasn't really hard. 5 people in 12 months could easily do it. The harder part about programming fly by wire system for ships could also be made easily in that time. Most of the work would be in assets not in programming as Cryengine by default provides basic FPS gameplay.

Myobi

Liturgist
Have you guys ever heard about Portugal? In Lisbon there is this palace, Palace of Ajuda, for some reason reminds me a lot of Star Citizen...

A construção do Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, em Lisboa, incompleta há mais de 200 anos, ficará concluída em dezembro de 2018

"The construction of the National Palace da Ajuda, in Lisbon, as been incomplete for over 200 years, but it will be finished in Dezember of 2018."

It wasn't :D

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
3.14 hitting Evocati next week according to SCLeaks
wouldn't be surprised to see them show off the new cloud city landing zone with the space whale at some E3 presser.

Delterius

Arcane
Have you guys ever heard about Portugal? In Lisbon there is this palace, Palace of Ajuda, for some reason reminds me a lot of Star Citizen...

A construção do Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, em Lisboa, incompleta há mais de 200 anos, ficará concluída em dezembro de 2018

"The construction of the National Palace da Ajuda, in Lisbon, as been incomplete for over 200 years, but it will be finished in Dezember of 2018."

literally called National Palace of Help Me

Myobi

Liturgist

literally called National Palace of Help Me

Palace of Help, "help me" would be "ajuda-me".

But yeah, it just makes it even better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom