Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Renegades - roguelite strategy RPG where you play as the rebels against an evil galactic empire

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Mar 13, 2018.

1. KyivAfter12am Savant

KyivAfter12am
    Just play Stellaris.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    Sounds like you don't want progression from a small start, you just want to curb stomp enemies in space. So go pick any scifi shooter and play on easy. RPGs aren't for you.

^ Top  
  3. MartinK Literate

MartinK
    How about numale metrosexuals and danger haired womyn who are as nasty as the empire and only rebeled because they want to be the ones doing the opression. That way you can have a cake and eat it too.

^ Top  
  4. Rafidur Educated

Rafidur
    There's a lot of spiderweb games where in the plot you play agents of an evil empire, but it doesn't really make you feel like an evil empire.

That's more or less Far Cry 4.

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Artistic Artistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

also.
    https://www.handsomephantom.com/star-renegades-review-pc/

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

https://www.gog.com/game/star_renegades?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/651670/view/2870437315163980501

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Graphics are kinda nice. Combat system looks to be a bit of a chore, though, the interface is utter drek, and overall I've refunded after seeing that the game's "Ancestor" is a genius bald woman with "they" pronounce. No financial support to that shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i expected nothing from this and actually got WHAT? WOAH! this is fun O_O all the best mechanics from turn based combat packed into one game. most of the graphics looks cool too (some details and animations are awesome, some other stuff is truly bad), the ui has some stupid annoying bugs but most of it is pretty slick and does a good job. some fights feel too long and a bit repetitive, but with more skills unlocking, more characters unlocking, more equipment, effects, combos and stuff, i might even turn a blind eye to the "sooner or later you'll have to die to repeat everything" structure i'm expecting from late game.
    shame being baited into believing it has some sort of nemesis system while instead the game is perfectly linear.

a pleasant surprise.

• Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Comrade Goby Magister

Comrade Goby
    Project: Eternity
    Looks like propaganda to me.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
  13. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    MadMaxHellfire is the world map / encounters randomized run to run?

^ Top  
  14. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    bosses' traits are for sure, their appearance i strongly doubt, trash mobs i wouldn't know, it might be, it wouldn't be that hard, maps don't look random to me. maps are a very both well and badly drawn series of rooms, each room 1 encounter, sometimes one modifier (like "defense turrets: take damage when combat starts") and rarely a loot chest or some lore stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    alright, i died for the first time (but against the third boss out of 4), the nemesis system is in place but it triggers only on your death and, when it happens, a whole new level of complexity opens up.
    we're bordering on the masterpiece.

"pet the dog".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Shackleton Cipher Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Holy fuck. I think this is the first game I've seen MadMaxHellfire actually praise! Either his account has been hacked or this game might really be sort of alright. Wishlisting for when I'm bored of Wasteland 3.

*EDIT* Screw wishlisting, didn't realise this was on Gamepass too. Might as well take it for a spin.

^ Top  
  17. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Max has pretty good taste, I think it was his posts plus a few others that sold me on Kenshi

^ Top  
  18. Shackleton Cipher Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, very very early impressions are a sort of 'Dungeon of the Endless' vibe, but with a lot more complexity and a really good twist on TB combat.

More interested in playing this than finishing Wasteland 3 fwiw, mainly because this tries to do something a bit different with the combat and it all feels a bit fresh.

^ Top  
  19. zaper Yes. Developer

zaper
    No they don't!

^ Top  
  20. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    there's plenty of games i praise. unfortunately i praise only good games.

this game shows there's been a research behind it and all its rules, it's no troubleshooter but it has a lot of moving parts too. there's also been a big effort in giving all the characters banter and interaction, and that amount will probably be the difference between a near/masterpiece or just an excellent experience for some days. with that amount of writing the devs put themselves into a corner: longevity depends on their numbers, but the work to add more adds up expontentially. i should look more into it.

^ Top  
  21. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I still can’t tell if the maps are random. When you die and come back with New Stuff(TM) active, is the map the same? I start two new, completely unrelated games: are the maps the same?

^ Top  
  22. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    they maybe are, but even if they aren't, it makes very little difference. only mobs groups matter.

^ Top  
  23. Darkwind Educated

Darkwind
    Looks like a fucking CGA monitor circa 1987 with the pink / light blue color palette...

[​IMG]

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    is this game better than their last game, halcyon6?

^ Top  
  25. Trash Player Scholar

Trash Player
    Much better. Halcyon 6 is a waste of time. This actually can be fun. Each run drags too long, it can get repetitive, and the character building system is minimal but
    it has enough charm, a turnbased system that is an actual step up, and a satisfying gameplay loop.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.