Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Renegades - roguelite strategy RPG where you play as the rebels against an evil galactic empire

Ranarama

Learned
Why can’t we be the evil galactic empires? I am tired of playing the rebels.

Sounds like you don't want progression from a small start, you just want to curb stomp enemies in space. So go pick any scifi shooter and play on easy. RPGs aren't for you.

MartinK

Learned
Sorry Comrade but crushing hopes and dreams of metrosexual nue males and putting strong independent danger haired wombyn back to kitchen is no longer allowed in current year even in fiction.

How about numale metrosexuals and danger haired womyn who are as nasty as the empire and only rebeled because they want to be the ones doing the opression. That way you can have a cake and eat it too.

Rafidur

Learned
There's a lot of spiderweb games where in the plot you play agents of an evil empire, but it doesn't really make you feel like an evil empire.

How about numale metrosexuals and danger haired womyn who are as nasty as the empire and only rebeled because they want to be the ones doing the opression. That way you can have a cake and eat it too.

That's more or less Far Cry 4.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

also.
https://www.handsomephantom.com/star-renegades-review-pc/
Star Renegades – Review (PC)

After having first played Star Renegades at PAX East 2019, one of our most anticipated indies is finally here. Like most people, we were initially struck by its vibrant and charismatic pixel art style. The gameplay in the original demo was a satisfying mix of intricate and rewarding turn-based RPG mechanics with a unique timeline based twist. I’m happy to say that over a year and a half since we first played, developer Massive Damage has delivered on our lofty expectations, and then some, with the full release of Star Renegades.

What separates Star Renegades from a traditional turn-based RPG is its use of a timing system. At the beginning of every encounter a timeline at the top of the screen shows the exact point in a given round when an Imperium soldier is going to attack. You can use your own attacks to stagger an enemy which pushes their attack further back in the timeline. If used strategically, you can actually break an enemy and make it so they don’t attack at all in the round. Staggers can be daisy chained to continuously push weaker enemies deeper into the timeline of every round, whittling away at their HP before they even have a chance to attack. There are trade-offs with your own party’s abilities that players will need to balance. Some heavy attacks deal huge amounts of damage, but take longer to execute and don’t stagger an enemy very far into the timeline.

StarRenegades_Preview_Capture_15.png

In addition to being able to see when an adversary is going to attack, you’re also able to see details about the ability they are about to execute and which party member they’ll be going after. This allows for further tactical planning. It may be tempting to go for a kill shot or armor shattering onslaught. But if all of your enemies are targeting a single party member with brutal attacks, you may instead opt to deflect or provide a shield buff for the targeted ally. It may seem like Star Renegades is providing a massive amount of foresight to the player to the point where it makes things too easy. But what this actually does is make for layers upon layers of strategic planning and tactical execution. Every encounter, especially boss battles, has the potential to play out like a chess match. One missed deflect, staggering the wrong enemy or focusing too heavily on damage dealing can have huge ramifications on any given fight. You’re given all the information you need to succeed – it’s just a matter of using your own party’s abilities to balance damage dealing and managing the timeline.

Advertisements
Adding further strategic depth is a Camp System. Each mission plays out over a finite number of days. While the sun is up, your party can roam around a map made up of small encounter areas separated by breach points or bridges. This is when you’ll move from battle to battle while picking up valuable DNA for leveling up, Credits for purchases, and Equipment upgrades during the day. When night falls, however, you’ll need to camp with your party. Each member has a set of cards that they can exchange with other party members. These cards provide a number of different uses including damage or defensive buffs for upcoming battles or instant heals to armor or health. Since only a limited number of cards can be used for each camping session, players will need to choose wisely for the next day’s battles. As allies exchange cards with one and other, their relationship increases. Friendships in this relationship system can blossom and allow for special joint attacks in battle.

AlP2p1ow.png

The visuals in Star Renegades strikes a perfect balance between vibrancy and nostalgia. Combining vivid pink hues with endearing pixel art sprites and varying planetary settings has gameplay pop off your screen from start to finish. Not to mention the expert use of a 2DX effect where the point of view pans in and out to give the illusion of a third dimension. All of these aspects come together to make Star Renegades one of the most visually stunning pixel art games ever.

If Massive Damage’s previous game, Halcyon 6, was a nod to Star Trek, then Star Renegades is clearly the developer’s equivalent ode to Star Wars. The space opera’s influences and inspirations can be seen in several different areas throughout the game’s story and settings. This plays out from a canteen with a band playing a jaunty tune eerily similar to the one playing just before Greedo shot first to the companion droid J5T-1N traveling across dimensions to deliver a distress message to an unlikely group of heroes. Fans of mainstream sci-fi will have a lot to like in Star Renegade’s dimension hopping story and light hearted character interaction with just the right amount of humor.

BGq3G3Cw.png

Where the game falters slightly is in its shoehorning of a nemesis system. Boss enemies are randomly generated and displayed on a grid-like hierarchy map for players to see. Unfortunately, these elite enemies quickly start to feel too similar and eliminating them from battles didn’t feel as impactful as it should have. The best part about clearing one of these bosses from the nemesis grid was collecting whatever equipment upgrade they were guarding. Further to this there are some slight traversal based annoyances. When trying to cross bridges or breach points, it can be difficult to find the exact point you have to click to trigger the entry animation. Luckily these are minor gripes and do little to get in the way of what makes the game fun.

Simply put, Star Renegades is an indie masterpiece. The depth of its gameplay and tactics make it one of the most creative and rewarding turn based experiences available today. Couple that with captivating visuals and an endearing story and cast of characters make this one that you cannot miss. As one of our most anticipated indie releases from the last two years, Star Renegades was more than worth the wait.

Star Renegades releases on Steam on Tuesday, September 8th, 2020.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/star_renegades?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/651670/view/2870437315163980501

Star Renegades Launch
Out Now!

ba333eee190f8424fba296a70138642cc94a05d8.png

The Imperium have started their interdimensional raids on all of us. Renegades, we need YOUR HELP to save our dimensions and show these bucketheads where they belong.

Become a Renegade today.
We couldn't be more excited to finally be sharing Star Renegades with you all. We hope you enjoy the game and can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Make sure to follow this space for news on future content. We're just getting started.

Welcome to the squad, Renegade.

The Rebellion (or Imperium, we don't judge) Needs you! Go represent!
sr_wynn
J5T1N

Official Steam Avatars

Last edited by a moderator:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Graphics are kinda nice. Combat system looks to be a bit of a chore, though, the interface is utter drek, and overall I've refunded after seeing that the game's "Ancestor" is a genius bald woman with "they" pronounce. No financial support to that shit.

i expected nothing from this and actually got WHAT? WOAH! this is fun O_O all the best mechanics from turn based combat packed into one game. most of the graphics looks cool too (some details and animations are awesome, some other stuff is truly bad), the ui has some stupid annoying bugs but most of it is pretty slick and does a good job. some fights feel too long and a bit repetitive, but with more skills unlocking, more characters unlocking, more equipment, effects, combos and stuff, i might even turn a blind eye to the "sooner or later you'll have to die to repeat everything" structure i'm expecting from late game.
shame being baited into believing it has some sort of nemesis system while instead the game is perfectly linear.

a pleasant surprise.

bosses' traits are for sure, their appearance i strongly doubt, trash mobs i wouldn't know, it might be, it wouldn't be that hard, maps don't look random to me. maps are a very both well and badly drawn series of rooms, each room 1 encounter, sometimes one modifier (like "defense turrets: take damage when combat starts") and rarely a loot chest or some lore stuff.

alright, i died for the first time (but against the third boss out of 4), the nemesis system is in place but it triggers only on your death and, when it happens, a whole new level of complexity opens up.
we're bordering on the masterpiece.

"pet the dog".

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
alright, i died for the first time (but against the third boss out of 4), the nemesis system is in place but it triggers only on your death and, when it happens, a whole new level of complexity opens up.
we're bordering on the masterpiece.

"pet the dog".

Holy fuck. I think this is the first game I've seen MadMaxHellfire actually praise! Either his account has been hacked or this game might really be sort of alright. Wishlisting for when I'm bored of Wasteland 3.

*EDIT* Screw wishlisting, didn't realise this was on Gamepass too. Might as well take it for a spin.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Max has pretty good taste, I think it was his posts plus a few others that sold me on Kenshi

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, very very early impressions are a sort of 'Dungeon of the Endless' vibe, but with a lot more complexity and a really good twist on TB combat.

More interested in playing this than finishing Wasteland 3 fwiw, mainly because this tries to do something a bit different with the combat and it all feels a bit fresh.

Holy fuck. I think this is the first game I've seen MadMaxHellfire actually praise!
there's plenty of games i praise. unfortunately i praise only good games.

this game shows there's been a research behind it and all its rules, it's no troubleshooter but it has a lot of moving parts too. there's also been a big effort in giving all the characters banter and interaction, and that amount will probably be the difference between a near/masterpiece or just an excellent experience for some days. with that amount of writing the devs put themselves into a corner: longevity depends on their numbers, but the work to add more adds up expontentially. i should look more into it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I still can’t tell if the maps are random. When you die and come back with New Stuff(TM) active, is the map the same? I start two new, completely unrelated games: are the maps the same?

Trash Player

Scholar
Much better. Halcyon 6 is a waste of time. This actually can be fun. Each run drags too long, it can get repetitive, and the character building system is minimal but
it has enough charm, a turnbased system that is an actual step up, and a satisfying gameplay loop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom