Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Trek games

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hidden Evil is a short one with tank controls and static backgrounds. Pretty casual, but I liked it somewhat. Wrote a review here.

Elite Force 1&2. Old skool shooters, but got a pretty nice story in the Voyager setting. You also get to roam the ship for a bit and I always liked that part.

Away Team is pretty cool if you like tactical games. Like Elite you are playing part of a crack elite team doing dangerous missions. Very similar to Commandos.

A game that isn't listed there, but is one of the better ones is A Final Unity. You can find it for download here, just scroll down to the end of the article. It's set in the TNG universe with the crew for the series. Plays like an adventure game. It feels like it could be part of the show.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Star Trek 25th anniversary and Judgment Rites. Awesome games, has Shatner, Nimoy and DeForest Kelley.
Star Trek: Elite Force Voyager and Elite Force 2 are also great.
Star Trek: Bridge Commander is a personal favorite. Install both the Kobayashi Maru and DS9 FX mods for a great experience.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Beastro

Arcane
Armada II is a fun little RTS. Not the best, but the best Star Trek one you're gonna get.

Has some neat features like transporters and crews, so you can knock out shields, board and take over enemy ships. Borg can use it to then recycle enemy ships and adopt their special abilities. The combiner super cube made of 8 borg cubes merged together along with the Corbormite ability off the Fed Sovereign warship that reflects most enemy attacks back at them makes it practically invincible.

Codex Year of the Donut
The interplay adventure games are easily the best two, not even up for debate. Completely faithful to the source material using the genre that makes by far the most sense for the material being adapted.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The interplay adventure games are easily the best two, not even up for debate. Completely faithful to the source material using the genre that makes by far the most sense for the material being adapted.
On Steam, those two are bundled with the other two Interplay games basically 4 for the price of 3. I thought it was a decent deal and picked it up. Has 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites, Starfleet Command Gold and Starfleet Academy.

I figured since three of those are highly fairly highly recommended, it was a reasonable deal even without other promotional pricing.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also buy Star Trek: Elite Force 1 and 2 and Bridge Commander.
Highly worth it.
The Elite Force games are FPS, so don't know about what your preferences are.
But Bridge Commander is pure space combat awesomeness.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Also buy Star Trek: Elite Force 1 and 2 and Bridge Commander.
Highly worth it.
The Elite Force games are FPS, so don't know about what your preferences are.
But Bridge Commander is pure space combat awesomeness.
Thanks, I was looking at those and probably will pick up the EF games even though I'm not much of a FPS player.

What makes Bridge Commander awesome? I have to admit, I don't really get its gameplay loop, but clearly you're a big fan. :)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What makes Bridge Commander awesome? I have to admit, I don't really get its gameplay loop, but clearly you're a big fan. :)
Heh. Just an old case of fanboyism, I guess.
It is highly moddable. The Kobayashi Maru and Deep Space 9 FX mods really improve the game's quality and lifespan, so to speak. The game also has a "Quick Battle" scenario. You pick your ship and choose other allied and enemy ships, ranging from Star Trek: The Original Series era ships, and all the way up to the TNG, Deep Space 9 and Voyager era.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Best 2 after A Final Unity that is. The Interplay games' interface did not age well but storylines are on point.

boluch

Literate
Bridge commander is one of those games that could probably be improved with AI text generation/speech recognition. Make it so spoken commands get translated into scripts, which are then executed by the crew. Add some generated contextual responses. Throw in a VR mode. Yeah. Feels good.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bridge commander is one of those games that could probably be improved with AI text generation/speech recognition. Make it so spoken commands get translated into scripts, which are then executed by the crew. Add some generated contextual responses. Throw in a VR mode. Yeah. Feels good.
Yeah, a VR mode would be pretty dope. Not really a fan of VR, but for a Star Trek space battle game, it might just work. Would also be pretty tense, as you issue commands to your crew while you are under fire or pressure.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Like Rusty says, there is a Top 25 Star Trek Games list for anyone reading this.

Here is what I think fans shouldn't miss. Broken down by genre:

lnutEBp.png
LulZXvZ.png
cu48lw9.png

Point-and-Click Adventure Games

The three best point-and-click adventure games (a genre that Star Trek excels at), without a shadow of doubt, are:
  • - Star Trek: 25h Anniversary
  • - Star Trek: Judgment Rites
  • - Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity
There are two more; 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger' and 'Star Trek: Hidden Evil', which are not as good.

WSErm3R.png
egrkr4Y.png
IXC3zpk.png

First-Person Shooters

Star Trek isn't known for it's wide array of shooters, but nevertheless these are pretty decent.
  • - Star Trek: Generations
  • - Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard
  • - Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force 1
'Elite Force 2' has some annoying enemies, so only play it if you really enjoyed 'Elite Force 1'.

nWXIG3a.png
s78tLFG.png
cRLz4Q4.png

Space Flight Sims

Star Trek used to have some great space-flight sims, but some of them are hard to get working, and have complex controls.
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
  • - Star Trek: Klingon Academy
  • - Star Trek: Bridge Commander
'Star Trek: Starfleet Academy' and 'Star Trek: Klingon Academy' have great full-motion videos like Dune or Wing Commander.

8g6wycK.png
JZf2ods.png
vrIbBRA.png

Strategy or Tactical Games

Birth of the Federation is one of the best 4X games ever made. Unofficial EGA Trek was also a classic.
  • - Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2 - Empires at War
Personally I don't like the 'Star Trek: Armada 1' as much, because ships feel too disposable in an RTS.

Overall, these are the best, by chronological dates (estimated in the case of KA and KHG):
  • Year 2269 (set during TOS) - Star Trek: Judgment Rites
  • Year 2292 (set before TUC) - Star Trek: Klingon Academy
  • Year 2369 (set during TNG) - Star Trek: A Final Unity
  • Year 2370 (set during TNG) - Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard
  • Year 2376 (set during VOY) - Star Trek: Elite Force 1
  • Year ???? (alternate history) - Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
'Klingon Academy', 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' are harder to install, requiring DosBox, a fan-made installer, or patches. The others listed are available easily. 'Birth of the Federation' has a free installer at ArmadaFleetCommand.com. '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgment Rites' can be played separately, but are loose sequels, with Interplay creating their own aliens that appear in both, such as the Elasi Pirates. 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' likewise also form a loose arc, featuring MicroProse's own aliens, the Chodak Empire. Best stories are 25A, JR, SA, KA, AFU, GENS, KHG, EF1.

To play 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, you require star system names, an early form of anti-piracy copy protection:

quGJSNe.png

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary map with star system names

fyyFltL.png

Star Trek: Judgment Rites map with star system names

Many of the games listed here feature the full voice cast of each series, giving performances equal to the work they did for the show. '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgment Rites' hold a special place in the hearts of fans, because they reunited the entire TOS cast decades after the show, to present essentially a 4th season of Star Trek. 'A Final Unity' and 'Generations' do likewise for TNG. The entire DS9 cast is present in 'Harbinger'. The entire VOY cast are present in 'Elite Force 1'. Many others contain cast members, most notably the full-motion-videos in 'Starfleet Academy' and 'Klingon Academy'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom