Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Wars d6: Revised, Expanded and Updated

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Since Star Wars d6 has been mentioned around Gazebo before, I figured this piece of news would probably make some Codexers happy: while searching for a PDF of Star Wars d6, I found out that a group of fans under the collective name Womp Rat Press had not too long ago digitised WEG's SW 2e Revised and Expanded (formatting was created from ground up, it seems) while adding content from the major sourcebooks. I don't know how well-known this finding is, but both the book and team are quite obscure unless you stumble upon certain links. I only came across this from Venger Satanis' blog, and got the latest version only by Googling for "Star Wars REUP".

Anyhoo this edition is subtitled "Revised, Expanded and Updated", hence Star Wars REUP. There are 3 versions for download:
eBook version (has cover and back page)
Colour print version
Black & White print version

Obligatory links for crediting purposes:
http://vengersatanis.blogspot.sg/2014/11/d6-star-wars-rpg-revised-expanded-and.html
http://waveyourgeekflag.blogspot.sg/2015/04/star-wars-d6-reup-re-updated.html

Printed the B&W, bound it and was pleased with it. Truthfully I'm very thankful to the editors and contributors for this - I was planning to run a Star Wars game next week but at the same time was reluctant to dig up my Second Edition, so this find really was timely. Also, compared to all other PDFs of the core rulebooks which are simply compilations of scanned images, this one is much easier on the eyes whether read digitally or printed out.

Enjoy!

Keldryn

Arcane
Star Wars D6 was awesome. Wait, it still is awesome.

Way better than d20 Star Wars.

I think I still prefer the more streamlined first edition over the second edition though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think I still prefer the more streamlined first edition over the second edition though.
The first edition made it take forever to kill anything sturdier than a stormtrooper iirc.

Keldryn

Arcane
The first edition made it take forever to kill anything sturdier than a stormtrooper iirc.

First edition had you add your Dodge roll to what the attacker needed to roll to hit, which could get out of hand quickly. The Rules Upgrade made it so that the normal Dodge action replaced the target number needed, and also introduced concepts like declaring a Dodge action at the start of your turn, which reduced all die codes by one, even if you didn't end up using it.

I guess it was all necessary for balance, but the game lost some of that elegant simplicity.

I think that the damage thresholds were also revised after the original release, as characters with high STR codes could add soak up too much damage.

Ironmonk

Augur
I think the biggest flaw of the d6 system is the equipment section.... most of it is completely outdated (and broken IMHO), stuff that today we can get an app for free that does the same thing costing more than a weapon or vehicle and etc.

Last year, I and my friends were going to run a campaign, and so I was trying to make personalized Droids, but even with the rules in place, its difficult to give appropriate prices for everything. If you analyses the already available droids and compare the prices and functions they have, there is a big inconsistency. And if you try to build them with the rules available, their prices will be completely different (sometimes half, sometimes 20x more)

If you think about how smartphones are mainstream today, and how the VR, AR, etc stuff is already present in some way or form, in an super tech society its reasonable that most of the stuff we can get for our smartphones (today) will be available within helmets and very cheap. If you look at Boba Fett helmet, its pretty crap in terms of functions, and its supposed to be THE HELMET.

One solution that doesn't work for every piece of equipment is to make the functions more overpowered, for example, there is a GPS equipment that costs a lot, the solution we thought is that this GPS works anywhere, underwater, underground and perhaps even inside a faraday cage, possible creating a zone map (like computer games) on the fly without the need for a satellite... otherwise the price is unjustifiable.

L'ennui

Magister
I think the biggest flaw of the d6 system is the equipment section.... most of it is completely outdated (and broken IMHO), stuff that today we can get an app for free that does the same thing costing more than a weapon or vehicle and etc.

Last year, I and my friends were going to run a campaign, and so I was trying to make personalized Droids, but even with the rules in place, its difficult to give appropriate prices for everything. If you analyses the already available droids and compare the prices and functions they have, there is a big inconsistency. And if you try to build them with the rules available, their prices will be completely different (sometimes half, sometimes 20x more)

If you think about how smartphones are mainstream today, and how the VR, AR, etc stuff is already present in some way or form, in an super tech society its reasonable that most of the stuff we can get for our smartphones (today) will be available within helmets and very cheap. If you look at Boba Fett helmet, its pretty crap in terms of functions, and its supposed to be THE HELMET.

One solution that doesn't work for every piece of equipment is to make the functions more overpowered, for example, there is a GPS equipment that costs a lot, the solution we thought is that this GPS works anywhere, underwater, underground and perhaps even inside a faraday cage, possible creating a zone map (like computer games) on the fly without the need for a satellite... otherwise the price is unjustifiable.
Your criticism is valid but applies to the Star Wars universe as a whole rather than to this game directly.

A GM so inclined could perfectly "hand wave" costs and functionalities of items.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Star Wars D6 is probably the best RPG ever developed.

I worked for a small company that worked hand-in-hand with West End Games on a project. We approached them about doing a project involving their Star Wars D6 system. We learned very quickly that they handled the license with great reverence and were very passionate about it. This love for Star Wars shows in the game system. This was the perfect system, not clumsy or random like Star Wars D20. An elegant system from a more civilized age.

We never did get to work with the Star Wars D6 system. Not because they didn't want us to, but because they started to run into serious trouble after their MasterSystem game system failed horribly, and they went under within a few years.

I'm a little biased, I guess, but Star Wars D6 is awesome.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
The old WEG sourcebooks were incredible, and IIRC most of the designs (ie. the Imperial sourcebook) were drawn from preproduction materials from the movies.

I will now necro the thread but can't be arsed to do the Gif with the necro rat.

I just picked up the fan made version of SWd6. It fixes nearly every problem I had with it and successfully convinced my group to part with the walking abortion that is FFG SW. We're having a game of D6 this coming weekend. Thank god this exists. I was beginning to lose hope for SW RPGs.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I will now necro the thread but can't be arsed to do the Gif with the necro rat.

I just picked up the fan made version of SWd6. It fixes nearly every problem I had with it and successfully convinced my group to part with the walking abortion that is FFG SW. We're having a game of D6 this coming weekend. Thank god this exists. I was beginning to lose hope for SW RPGs.

I'm running a group using REUP now. People are having a blast with and enjoy the game very much. The group consists of Ninjerk, JarlFrank, and Alienman from here plus 2 other people from reddit and my longest best friend.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
not clumsy or random like Star Wars D20.

Since this thread was necroed, I point out that while d20 is indeed pretty bad, Saga Edition is actually pretty damn good.

D20 in SPAAAACCCCEEEEE! was really bad. The best version will always be WEG's as it allowed you to play any type of character you wanted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom