Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - sequel to Fallen Order

Ryzer

Arcane
The trailer spoiled the villain and showed nothing, wow.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Teasers never show anything, that's why it's called a teaser.

I thought it was pretty good for a teaser, tbh. It set a tone and drew my interest for what else they might show. The actual game will probably be disappointing since it's current year, but their marketing department is earning their salary.

Meh, it’s not as though the writing or plot were great in the first game. It was the combination of nailing Star Wars OT aesthetics and providing generally decent 3D Soulslite gameplay and level design that made the game work.

And to be fair, anything coming from Disney Star Wars that isn’t a complete dumpster fire in writing is already above like 90% of their output, so…

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The trailer spoiled the villain and showed nothing, wow.
The first game introduced you to the main villain within 15 minutes of the first level. It's not like it's a shocking revelation you're going to be fighting against more Inquisitors and Vader.

Meh, it’s not as though the writing or plot were great in the first game.
Neither was the writing in Jedi Knight or KOTOR games, but the point is that they respected the IP unlike most of the dreck Disney shits out, which is actively spiteful towards established characters, lore and the fanbase.

It's just proof that you don't need much to make a good SW game (or SW anything really), but even that low bar is something Disney is seemingly incapable of reaching.

deuxhero

Arcane
MCA's writing was the only reason 1 wasn't horrible. It's not even like it will let me play as a cute Twi'lek girl, so I have no idea why one would bother with this.

Star Wars Galaxies is basically the only videogame that treated Jedi like how they should be in that era. Incredibly rare, and if you became a jedi, you always died eventually.
Of course people's power fantasies caused them to revise this so that anyone could be a jedi and there was no downside to doing such.
It makes me genuinely angry that WoW was successful and Star Wars Galaxies wasn't. The MMO crowd chose mindless repetition over dynamic and personal experiences and I have still not gotten over that.
Star Wars Galaxies was always going to succeed or fail based on how it treated Jedi. They fucked that up. Either by not understanding how important it was or by having no idea how to solve it.

Really, the biggest problem with how the Galaxies update was immediately making the player "Jedi". If they called the class "force adept" (or, better yet, made it a sub-class any class could get by devoting points to) and made getting a lightsaber, robes and title as "Jedi" something late game it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Stuffing Dark Souls into Star Wars to that extent was so stupid. Star Wars feels much more real, so having the enemies all reappear when you rest is eye-roll inducing. Then you add that the Dark Souls-like exploration is wasted on 90 percent of the chests containing shitty cosmetics, in the typical EA fashion.

The collectibles/secrets be almost exclusively cosmetics was indeed a baffling design decision. Hopefully the pushback was large enough that that will be changed for the sequel.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
First game was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed exploring and unlocking the levels.

The biggest issue was how empty the world felt, no towns, very few NPCs, etc.

I wish the sequel would try to build up the world to be more than go to x and fight anything you meet along the way.

Zibniyat

Arcane
The first one was good, I've enjoyed it greatly. If they improve upon exploration, combat and world building, the sequel may be even better. They should tone down the extravagant newStarWars fads like outrageously looking lightsabers and similar, instead of focusing on a more fluid use of the Force.

I certainly hope the plot and overall story and world holding (in literary sense) will be even better.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Star Wars is dead. It's been dead since the Prequels. Move on.
This is only true for the movies and tv shows. I've never liked shit wars but the games have always been good and there is still plenty of potential for good games, even in current year. Fallen Order was great compared to most of the shit released these days so I'd say even when everything is shit, Star Wars games have the potential to be less shitty than the competition.

SilentSeeker

Novice
We will never get another Jedi Knight game again, will we?
No- but why would we? Kyle's story is finished. Let him rest. Besides, would YOU trust Disney with him? Look at the makeover they gave him for Rogue One!

If, on the other hand. you just mean "a well-made game with solid gameplay and writing, then, well, also no, but it's much more depressing. LucasArts, we hardly knew ye.

Star Wars is for bug men
No, no- gas arrows are for bug men. Star Wars is for burricks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom