Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I am honestly impressed at the ability to talk about something for 12 straight hours. If I were to give a very detailed account on my life, with tangents and rants on any topic, even if it's just barely related and I had a month to prepare for my speech I still would be surprised If I manage to talk for more than max 5 hours.

Quality > Quantity

Some people have a gift for using a lot of words and time to say nothing. So I agree with you, but only if the time is well used and the material is substantial. Otherwise, I'd just recommend doing a proper editing pass and trying again.

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter."

I agree when talking about essays, but in real life quality often trumps quantity. In social situations the ability to talk for 12 hours without problems, even if the talk is not the best, is like being a superman on the battlefield. It's the I win button.

You assume the entire 12 hour video has not been rehearsed and has been recorded in one piece. I don't think this is the case.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't really care how low quality is, it's still impressive in an autistic sort of way. I sincerely doubt any of you could possibly come up with twelve hours worth of material worth talking about for any video game.
I don't think you guys fully appreciate just how long 12 hours is. The Hobbit audiobook by Rob Inglis is only 11 hours long, including all the various musical parts.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The same guy made a retrospective of Morrowind.

Both videos are really well done and interesting and they are not meant to listen in a single sitting.

They have some interesting historical information about development of the games that even as a TES fan I didn't know.

Also he has some interesting theories about main quest of Oblivion.

All in all I enjoyed listening to both videos and I recommend them.

I am honestly impressed at the ability to talk about something for 12 straight hours. If I were to give a very detailed account on my life, with tangents and rants on any topic, even if it's just barely related and I had a month to prepare for my speech I still would be surprised If I manage to talk for more than max 5 hours.

Quality > Quantity

Some people have a gift for using a lot of words and time to say nothing. So I agree with you, but only if the time is well used and the material is substantial. Otherwise, I'd just recommend doing a proper editing pass and trying again.

I agree when talking about essays, but in real life quality often trumps quantity. In social situations the ability to talk for 12 hours without problems, even if the talk is not the best, is like being a superman on the battlefield. It's the I win button.

You assume the entire 12 hour video has not been rehearsed and has been recorded in one piece. I don't think this is the case.

There are people who can talk for 12 hours straight.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>There are people who can talk for 12 hours straight.
That reminds me of filibuster. I think one of my politicians set the world record for talking 48 hours straight or something in order to delay a bill from being passed in Congress. Do other countries have filibuster?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Quality > Quantity

Yes, we all know Master Seller of your order, Jedi.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Maybe so, but why assume this was done all at once? Especially considering the whole video is broken into segments and the techology to link separate videos into a single entity exists?
Guy makes videos so rarely, I thought his channel was dead. He definitely doesn't do them in one sitting.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I dont really think that this remake is needed.
BTW is there a total conversion mod that allow us to play story of KOTOR in Jedi Outcast or Academy? This idea materialised inside my head for whatever reason few hours ago and i think it would be cool.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak.../kotor_remake_will_have_different_play_modes/
This comes from Matty of Defining Duke (odd given this is a Playstation exclusive but whatever) and he claims a source who has shared multiple correct rumors with him like the announcement date and its production says that KOTOR will have different play modes similar to God of War and Nioh.

How this will work remains to be seen but I thought it was interesting given KOTOR play style is so synonymous

Also, I can't post the Defining Duke video because its still pateron exclusive but it will go public later this week.

Edit: when he says like God of war and Nioh, he means instead of the semi-turn based combat its more like real time God of war fighting (think Darksiders 1 and 2)

popamole.png

Sykar

Arcane
Who does care about Star Wars "canon", though? Especially now that Disney owns the franchise and is replacing the old EU with their own terrible stories anyways? At the end of the day there are the original films, and then there is everything else. This was true even for the old EU, which contained plenty of stories that were nominally canon but basically glorified fan-fiction. There was some good stuff too, but plenty of bad as well, and canon here just means that it all has to co-exist and be treated with the same amount of relevance. The advantage of something like KotOR/TotJ is that it was so far removed from most everything else in the setting that you could do (potentially) do some creative things without worrying too much about continuity.

You can make your own canon. Ergo I consider $hitney to be nothing but the lowest of the low fanfic.

Larianshill

Arbiter
While I'm not overjoyed to see KOTOR turn into an action RPG, and I'm very scared of how they'll ruin the game, let's not pretend that the original KOTOR combat was something great, even for its time.

Harthwain

Magister
While I'm not overjoyed to see KOTOR turn into an action RPG,
Really not surprised. The game was designed to hide the underlying combat system to make it feel action-oriented, and would be how many remember it.
And the action-oriented Jedi games are probably more popular, which is likely the main reason behind the change.

Combat was pretty shit tbh. I just spammed my party's best attack most of the time, like Flurry or Force Storm over and over and over.
It was pretty much Neverwinter Nights in Star Wars. At least for me.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I loved force push. Seeing all those bad guys go flying in all directions. It's only the last time I played that I started wishing there was real ragdoll physics.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Really not surprised. The game was designed to hide the underlying combat system to make it feel action-oriented, and would be how many remember it.
Bioware has been doing this shit for years. I wish they would just pick either action or tactical combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom