Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Codex Year of the Donut
So rusty_shackleford, how many hours have you been playing this game? Can you somehow estimate how many hours more you will have to play in order to finish it?
no idea total
iirc, took me about 200 hours to do a single class + expansions, solo content only
there's 8 classes each with their own unique story, expansions have varying stories based on imperial/republic + your alignment + other things

Holy shit, now I know why they are charging 120 bucks a year. :shredder:

They definitely made sure no one would ever complain about a lack of content again.
the base story(all 8 class stories + planet missions + side quests + bunch of other stuff) + first 2 content expansions are available to F2P players
oh and I forgot, if you subscribe it permanently unlocks all expansion content released up to that date for your account and when your sub runs out you become a preferred member instead of F2P(less restrictions compared to F2P)

The fact that Anthem is basically dead means they pretty much have to double down on SWTOR lol, it's their only game right now that's making any money whatsoever with DA4 far off in the distance.

Do we have any concrete numbers regarding the profit it's making? How many subscribed users does it have? Is it barely breaking even or is it raking in gazillions of dollars per month/year (after taxes)?
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/01/...llion-dollars-and-ea-is-pleased-most-pleased/
“Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history,” EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. “So it’s a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses.”
It's a low cost investment that prints money. It's basically EA's wet dream.

Huh, I wasn't aware it was that successful. Or even successful at all, tbh.

I remember reading about the game before and during its release, wondering if I should get it too. But after only a few weeks, there were reports of (hardcore) players complaining, because they had already completed the game - much sooner than the devs or anyone else were expecting. And running out of content is usually code word for "It's dead." for MMORPGs.

I stopped reading articles about the game from that point on, because I really thought it would die. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known it was still alive.
Same.
They did a really poor job marketing it. It was marketed as WoW in space, if they marketed it as online KOTOR I probably would have checked it out sooner.
because it *was* wow in space. only with the latest changes it's become online kotor. a slightly worse kotor.

the base story(all 8 class stories + planet missions + side quests + bunch of other stuff) + first 2 content expansions are available to F2P players

Wut? Why would they do that? The publisher is EA, after all. What's the catch?
limitations. the limitations imposed to f2p accounts are... how to put it without offending anyone... retardedly jewish. can't use rare or better items, can't use account bank, can't use guild bank, only 10 pvp matches per week, only 4 char slots in a very alt-intensive environment...

Codex Year of the Donut
The fact that Anthem is basically dead means they pretty much have to double down on SWTOR lol, it's their only game right now that's making any money whatsoever with DA4 far off in the distance.

Do we have any concrete numbers regarding the profit it's making? How many subscribed users does it have? Is it barely breaking even or is it raking in gazillions of dollars per month/year (after taxes)?
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/01/...llion-dollars-and-ea-is-pleased-most-pleased/
“Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history,” EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. “So it’s a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses.”
It's a low cost investment that prints money. It's basically EA's wet dream.

Huh, I wasn't aware it was that successful. Or even successful at all, tbh.

I remember reading about the game before and during its release, wondering if I should get it too. But after only a few weeks, there were reports of (hardcore) players complaining, because they had already completed the game - much sooner than the devs or anyone else were expecting. And running out of content is usually code word for "It's dead." for MMORPGs.

I stopped reading articles about the game from that point on, because I really thought it would die. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known it was still alive.
Same.
They did a really poor job marketing it. It was marketed as WoW in space, if they marketed it as online KOTOR I probably would have checked it out sooner.
because it *was* wow in space. only with the latest changes it's become online kotor. a slightly worse kotor.
I like the combat a lot more than the combat in the abomination that is the aurora engine.

Codex Year of the Donut
limitations. the limitations imposed to f2p accounts are... how to put it without offending anyone... retardedly jewish. can't use rare or better items, can't use account bank, can't use guild bank, only 10 pvp matches per week, only 4 char slots in a very alt-intensive environment...
This is 100% true.
They try to nickel and dime you but give away the best part of the product. It's really weird, like they found a low IQ jew to monetize their game.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This is 100% true.
They try to nickel and dime you but give away the best part of the product. It's really weird, like they found a low IQ jew to monetize their game.

They just found a Wyrmlord, I guess.

Codex Year of the Donut
What craftable items are worth selling besides augments and augment kits?
Crafted gear/mods seems like a joke for the amount of effort vs just doing vet FPs. Looking at prices vs cost of mats, there's no way I'd ever get a return.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Used to be, clueless proles - or people gearing alts - would lap up any shit armoring/barrel/hilt/mod/enhancement you would craft. The profit you get is from critical successes (when you produce 2 items instead of one). Has been like that for years, sadly.

Codex Year of the Donut
Used to be, clueless proles - or people gearing alts - would lap up any shit armoring/barrel/hilt/mod/enhancement you would craft. The profit you get is from critical successes (when you produce 2 items instead of one). Has been like that for years, sadly.
problem is that gear is bind to legacy now so people just leapfrom from 74 to 75 with 306

Honestly it seems like they had two separate teams designing crafting & gearing and they never bothered to share notes.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
problem is that gear is bind to legacy now so people just leapfrom from 74 to 75 with 306

Honestly it seems like they had two separate teams designing crafting & gearing and they never bothered to share notes.

Sounds like BugoWare allright.

Is biochem the only skill that provides a unique bonus to your character? (The biochem-restricted stims)

Yeah.

Codex Year of the Donut
Did companions originally incrementally get abilities as you raised their influence(or whatever the equivalent was then)?
I noticed that all of them seem to have a couple dialogues about learning new techniques.

Codex Year of the Donut
I see Qyzen get a lot of dislike, not sure why. He compliments the consular perfectly, and understanding Qyzen is (imo) a key point to understanding the role of the consular.
Qyzen, both his character and as a Trandoshan, challenges the consular's interpretation of what is good(light) vs what is evil(dark)
Also, the consular story should be played as Sage and not Shadow. Shadow really doesn't fit it at all IMO. The inquisitor/consular should have been two force-based "casting" classes instead of a caster/rogue.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I see Qyzen get a lot of dislike, not sure why. He compliments the consular perfectly, and understanding Qyzen is (imo) a key point to understanding the role of the consular.
Qyzen, both his character and as a Trandoshan, challenges the consular's interpretation of what is good(light) vs what is evil(dark)

Yes, Qyzen was my favourite companion on my Consular playthrough.

Also, the consular story should be played as Sage and not Shadow. Shadow really doesn't fit it at all IMO. The inquisitor/consular should have been two force-based "casting" classes instead of a caster/rogue.

Acknowledged. In an ideal world, the sneaky Force user classes should get their own storylines. Alas, voicing everything in 3 languages strained BWs budget.

Codex Year of the Donut
I accidentally crashed the augmentation kit mk-11 market
It's literally the only thing you can craft that actually makes money though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom