Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't played the game for almost two years now, so things could have changed... but isn't there a utility point allowing you to reset your bitchslap interrupt by Force-charging to the enemy? Or even better! There definitely IS a utility point allowing *your charge* to become an interrupt. And then the charge cooldown resets because of using... something I can't recall. Ravage, probably. Then add Force choke and the bitchslap interrupt and you should be fine.
I did all that, still no good. I guess I'm just undergeared.

As for heals... what is your companion doing? Is it maxed out on affection, however its called?
Sadly due to STORY REASONS you're stuck with Marr for this section, with influence set to 28. And he's a melee, and melee companions suck at healin'.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I thought companions can be set to either melee or tank or heals since like 10 years now.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I thought companions can be set to either melee or tank or heals since like 10 years now.
They can, but companions who are ranged by default are better healers than those that are melee by default. Ranged companions have healin' skills which do not require them to move to your character, by consequence they glitch less and are more effective. I think they only mitigated this with strictly post-KotFE companions,
like Lana

Deleted member 7219

I miss the days when it actually mattered which companions you used, your influence with them and how you geared them. Vette was like a walking font of death with endgame gear.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I hated those days. It forced you into using a companion you did not like, which depending on your own spec was the healer most of the times for me. Fucking "woohoo Ima jedi!" Gus. :argh:
Plus availability. Booty Hunters dominated the early servers, because they got their healing companion slapped in their faces 5 mins in. No downtime.
Good luck playing a dps Jedi, when YOUR healer comes after Balmorra. I spent more time sitting than fighting. Or even kill your healing comp off in the beta. :hahano:
Everyone and their mother ran with the ewok for a reason...

Universial companions was a dumbing down decision I actually approved of. Although they went overboard with no gearing and influence being pretty much pointless.
But whiny entitled brats bring in the money, gotta make it easy enough for them...

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
So, I’m done with Bounty Hunter. ‘Cause of double XP event I even managed to drag her to 75 lvl, which made me laugh, I didn’t expect that. I already started Smuggler and went through Ord Mantell with her, but that’s for another time.

BH gets a lot of hate (it’s consistently voted/ranked everywhere as the worst storyline, or shares this spot with Smuggler/Consular, last of which I don’t get at all, Consular is a stellar piece), and a lot of it is deserved. It’s a very mundane story with very low stakes up until the very, very end. It’s pretty much completely disconnected from TOR’s overarchin’ narrative. There are some bizarre choices when it comes to themes and plot. You’re supposedly just a random (but talented) bounty hunter who joins the Great Hunt to grab some fame and glory, but then you’re forced to become a Mandalorian and even though game doesn’t strongarm you to adopt all their prestige honour battle blah blah schtick your character still from time to time acts independently as if she did – and you can’t do anything ‘bout it. BH’s companion rooster is rather week, even though you get Gault and Blizz, who are at least funny in a good way. All the rest of them are pure vanilla, and I don’t take it well after already playin’ so many stories and meetin’ so many companions, most of them much better than fuckin’ Mako or, God forbid, Torian Shitorian the Mandalorian.

Still, as usual with TOR, there were good things ‘bout this plotline. Act 3 gets interestin’. Darth Tormen is an entertainin’ fella. You get to meddle in some politics. Jun Seros was surprisingly decent. He was mostly an absentee antagonist, even more so than Darth Thanaton, but you always had a sense of bein’ pursued by him and his lackeys. A true sinister Jedi Master workin’ from the shadows and not afraid to get his hands dirty in service to the Republic – even though Ardun Kothe from the Agent story had much more screentime and was basically the same type of character, Seros still worked nicely for me. And then there’s the Chancellor, who only plays a role in this particular storyline, which is strange considerin’ that he’s theoretically more important than whole Dark Council combined. Still, he’s a goody two-shoes old grandpa, so I get why they guessed he won’t be as engagin’ as them all.

BH is a nice class to play, in summary, but it’s nothing special and there’s way too much more good stuff in TOR to recommend it, save for one thing: BH plot is most definitely the first one chronologically, all others plots happen after it, so it might be good to know the big picture from where it begins.

In the meantime I also finally finished Onslaught with my Consular main character. It’s quite a piece of shit to be honest, I completely don’t resonate with general TOR fanbase, which praises it for goin’ away from KotFE/KotET model – yet I enjoyed these two ones infinitely more than this OH MY GAWD PUB VS IMP WAR AGAIN WOOHOOO schlock.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. Skavak, a prologue villain for Smuggler, looks exactly like my Sith Warrior :lol: Quite an immersion breaker here.

Stories ranked as of now: LS Warrior = LS Consular > LS/neutral Agent > DS Knight > LS/neutral Bounty Hunter > DS Inquisitor

Deleted member 7219

I only play Dark Side in SWTOR (apart from completing the original storyline as LS Knight) because I find the writing too twee and goody-two shoes with LS.

I've done all the class stories and my ranking is as follows:

DS Sith Warrior > DS Jedi Consular > DS Agent > DS Trooper > DS Knight > DS > Bounty Hunter > DS Smuggler > DS Inquisitor > LS Knight

Very similar to Popiel 's.

I've completed all expansions with DS Warrior and DS Knight, going to attempt the same with my DS Bounty Hunter only because I want to execute people in the expansions by shooting them with my blaster pistol, and I'm curious to see how they do the force user battles with the Bounty Hunter.

Also, I've seen The Mandalorian recently and want to play a Mandalorian for a bit (but Star Wars: Bounty Hunter was the best game about Mandos).

Last edited by a moderator:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
DS Jedi Consular
My plan is to eventually, in the future when I get extremely bored, run counterparts of each of my main cast of characters, or at least of the main ones (which I consider to be Force-users + Agent). My main Knight is Dark Side (and male), so I’ll be goin’ Light Side (female), main Warrior is Light Side – so aforementioned run will be Dark Side (and, again, female). I already have some of these mirror characters made. First one I created was a female Miraluka Consular (Shadow spec) – chiefly ‘cause I don’t believe that DS story of Consular will work under any circumstances, so I'm most curious. It’s made for a LS run. How would you judge that, how does that even work? Consular plotline is a very strong piece IMHO precisely ‘cause it seems to be suited for one particular style (LS), which allowed writers to focus on content and not on divergent paths instead (writers for Warrior especially needed to consider those, and they did brilliantly IMHO).

Deleted member 7219

DS Jedi Consular
My plan is to eventually, in the future when I get extremely bored, run counterparts of each of my main cast of characters, or at least of the main ones (which I consider to be Force-users + Agent). My main Knight is Dark Side (and male), so I’ll be goin’ Light Side (female), main Warrior is Light Side – so aforementioned run will be Dark Side (and, again, female). I already have some of these mirror characters made. First one I created was a female Miraluka Consular (Shadow spec) – chiefly ‘cause I don’t believe that DS story of Consular will work under any circumstances, so I'm most curious. It’s made for a LS run. How would you judge that, how does that even work? Consular plotline is a very strong piece IMHO precisely ‘cause it seems to be suited for one particular style (LS), which allowed writers to focus on content and not on divergent paths instead (writers for Warrior especially needed to consider those, and they did brilliantly IMHO).

Same. I already did it with LS male JK / DS female JK, want to ultimately experience all class stories with both because I think every class story has good reactivity with LS and DS choices.

The DS Consular story is actually the best DS story apart from Warrior because you travel the galaxy executing the plagued Jedi instead of saving them. Basically you play either a psychotic cunt (classic KOTOR DS) or a powermad cunt who wants to take power on the Council. I found it to be one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in a SW game because of how unexpected your behaviour is to those around you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

That said, you should play DS Consular as a female, the male voice actor is boring as hell but the female voice actor is great with DS dialogue.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
That said, you should play DS Consular as a female, the male voice actor is boring as hell but the female voice actor is great with DS dialogue.
My main character is a LS Consular male and, well, agree to disagree. Nolan North is great for LS Consular IMHO, has this wise master feelin' to him, and he does polite smugness very well if you want that. Don't know 'bout his DS performance though.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
LS Warrior is the best deal. They did a great job allowing you a pragmatic approach without looking like a weak pussy. :obviously:
I did have a soft spot for my DS Sorc tho. The story crumbled halfway in, but her malkavian charme kept me going, until she rightfully became collocoid empress. :hug:
She simply had the best lines.

Yeah, booty hunter's lineup was pretty weak aside from the comedy value. Especially the dark and egdy fag... Torian?
At least that made the "choice" later hillarious.
Game: "You can only rescue Vette or Torian, the other will die! Chose wis-
Pretty much every player: "Vette. Kthxbye."

Torian, Koth and Theron are prime examples how Bioware's writers are all dreamy eyes over a character aimed at female players, who just end up getting killed by most players.:hahano:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
LS Warrior is the best deal. They did a great job allowing you a pragmatic approach without looking like a weak pussy. :obviously:
I did have a soft spot for my DS Sorc tho. The story crumbled halfway in, but her malkavian charme kept me going, until she rightfully became collocoid empress. :hug:
She simply had the best lines.

Yeah, booty hunter's lineup was pretty weak aside from the comedy value. Especially the dark and egdy fag... Torian?
At least that made the "choice" later hillarious.
Game: "You can only rescue Vette or Torian, the other will die! Chose wis-
Pretty much every player: "Vette. Kthxbye."

Torian, Koth and Theron are prime examples how Bioware's writers are all dreamy eyes over a character aimed at female players, who just end up getting killed by most players.:hahano:

Yes my wife hated so much the Card and Disciple so much she played as male Raven/Disciple, the men got the three prime ladies in KOTOR II to choose, the Blind Sith with BDSM kink, the Mandalorian wanabe - who unlike current year strong independent wombyn is kind of cute when you get to know her better and f... ing Kreia daughter the wombyn got only Atton who according to my wifu words: Is kinda hot in rougue way when hardened and f... ing disciple who can bore you to death.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Speaking of waifus, did anyone here actually keep Lana? I ended up ditching her with EVERY toon in the end. Made me feel a bit of an asshole going from "let's marry" to "I knew I was just a stand in until your love returned" at least 7 times, despite vowing "this char will keep her" every time... :cry:

On paper she would probably the best match for half of my toons, but there was nothing about her that rustled my jimmies...
Her model went from horrible to just "meh", and her voice was an emotionless robot.
I even picked Khem over her, because him wanting to eat my sorc or smth was too hillarious to pass on. Sad.

Vatnik Wumao
Lana is nice.

iu

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speaking of wifus I picked Ensign Temple ( I know she is not of glorious and :obviously: Hiss race but she digs at least the culture and is not treacherous and slut like the rataka whore you get earlier) as Warrior bred with this ex Jedi chick (totally bimbo but with at least good genes) and as Bounty Hunter stuck to Mako... cause this girl from hood appeal.

Oh I did got a bit onto Republicuck soldier... picked the soldier chick? Dunno cant remember this class was dull and stopped to play it when it forced me to rescue somebody I did not cared a bit literally had one option in this quest, to brake ceasfire with Empire to rescue some alien shit who deserted his post... cause you can't RP here as Republican sympathizer to Empire or strick disciplinarian for (((some)) reason. :decline:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got some cartel coins since I'm using the 2FA, bought a stronghold piece with it and then realized it's too big for where I wanted to place it :negative:. Why did they use the same color for both size of hook:argh:?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
treacherous and slut like the rataka whore
Hey, no slutshaming Kaliyo! She was such a refreshing break from the usual Bioware waifus that always follow the same concept. Kal does not give two fucks, you follow HER around and she uses you as she pleases. :hahano:
And she helped me get rid of Koth.
All the butthurt from players who felt threatened in their manliness by her was just the icing on the cake.

"You and me agent, you and me." :obviously:

My agent was a womyn tho, so I didn't have to worry if bakta tanks can cure spez STDs...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom