Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Crispy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    OH I get it. When Valkorian is disappointed in your efforts he's talking about your destroying externally AND destroying you "internally," as to hollow out for Valkorian's next vessel.

This may be how Valkorian has done what he's done.

You could consider Vaylin a failed attempt at "conditioning" a person for Valkorian because she was way too powerful.

And Arcann didn't gain attention until he killed his brother, aka turning him more into his father. Only then did Valkorian approve of him.

He wants to be me.

^ Top  
  2. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Yeah, the biggest problem with Valkorion is that both the Empire and Republic hate him because the last thing he did was Darth Nihl-ify Ziost. Thus, even as a Sith Warrior or Inquisitor, I couldn't let that happen. That just makes too much sense.

And yet, almost everybody talks about how we have to do things differently, work with the people you thought were enemies. Major example being Satele and Marr. (Assuming those weren't Valkorion's illusions)

So on my JK I'm really tempted to just end the world.

Whoa I just realized that JK can be used as an acronym for "Jorjelu Kes."

Edit: Funny thing is that I am so tired of this type of MMO combat... but Kotor's Aurora-derivative engine is SOOO BAD that at least this is schlocky and enjoyable.

^ Top  
  3. Zariusz Savant

Zariusz
    And if we are talking about technical side of things, Biofags are so fucking lazy 10 years of textures are all next to eachother, something that was low resolution even on premiere is next to something that has actuall details like KOTFE stuff. Even worse compare newest models to older ones, those faggots should make a great graphical overhaul to make something from all of this mess.

^ Top  
  4. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Still 100% better than Aurora engine. ESPECIALLY the Kotor version for.. too many reasons. NWN2 was the peak of Aurora engine, and that peak wasn't even that high.

That being said, you could spend hours and hours playing very good custom modules in NWN. I think they tried to do many things with NWN. Because the module-building aspect/tools are really really good. So half the product is actually good. The other half - such as the OC - they are shit. (Well also that the community could write better than Gaider)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    hwut

mechanically? dragon age origins/DA2, no contest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Does Dragon Age Origins use the Aurora Engine?

Edit: Nope, it runs Eclipse.

Kotor (and probably Jade Empire) uses Aurora-ported-to-console derivatives.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    You know the Aurora Engine began with NWN1 and ended with NWN2 right lol. DAO is almost the opposite, both mechanically and also in terms of mod tools.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    DAO uses an updated Aurora engine.
    The only one specifically referred to as "Aurora engine" is the one used by NWN, but they(NWN, Kotor, Kotor 2, NWN 2, DAO, DA2, ...) all use the same underlying technology that was updated over the years.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    NWN2's engine was referred to as "Electron"

Yes, each version had their own differences obviously, in the same way Skyrim and FO4 have engine differences but nobody would claim they run on different engines. If you want to understand the underlying technology, check out the xoreos reimplementation project.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Uh, no.

Aurora Engine was the successor to the Infinity Engine.

Odyssey Engine was an adaptation of Aurora Engine for consoles, as well as for NWN2.

Eclipse Engine is the successor to the Odyssey Engine.

It's not even the same, in terms of production history.

NWN1 was designed for a single player playing a single character online with other individuals, with a GM who used the tools to make mod campaigns for them. Yes, this was the original goal. Online tabletop. The Aurora Engine was not intended for the player to control more than one character. Thus, all through NWN1, vanilla to HOTU, you were provided with henchmen.

Odyssey was a bad a attempt to control a party of three, as it still relied on one player playing one character, allowing you to switch between the 3 characters. To assist that type of gameplay Bioware added with (broken) action-queuing so that you can switch to another character and do the same thing, then switch to the next character and do the same thing.

NWN2 was essentially the best they could do to hackjob a party system using an engine that specifically tied one player to one character.

It's not simply about engine names, you gotta look up the production history.

Skyrim, FO4, and almost any close-to-mainstream games usually cannot legally claim they run different engines. Because usually they all use the newest Unreal Engine. I am very, very familiar with Unreal's prevalence I'm a tweak-a-holic, the configuration *.ini are almost always the same format, with the same variables, to the point where I can look up shit in https://docs.unrealengine.com/ (For example, a custom graphics setting that uses high textures/shaders but without postprocessing... You'll need to create a *.ini for that... And then test.. and test and test.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Yes I'm fucked in the head and I actually look up this shit for fun when I'm bored. lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    I betcha that Dragon Age's Engine drew a lot more from Infinity than Aurora.

Just consider - do you think Aurora Engine has any efficient pathfinding code for a 6 party group?

Probably not because you are suppose to play one character.

That's one element of the engine - pathfinding.

^ Top  
  13. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Hory shit, academia has answers. The date is a bit off (I guess that's before NWN2 came out using Odyssey).

Succintly:
    https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/949611

Three distinct engines, honestly:
    • Infinity
    • Aurora ~> Odyssey ~> Electron as it ported from PC to console back to PC
    • Eclipse

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Eclipse wasn't a brand new engine, it was just another revision of the same aurora engine with new shiny features. Bioware was already discussing the "eclipse engine" as far back as 2004, prior to the release of Jade Empire(which is another game using an aurora engine derivative.)
    Yes, marketing material says otherwise because that's the point of marketing material. Buy our game with a brand new shiny engine with brand new shiny features.

In much the same way that PS4's OS is FreeBSD, Dragon Age's engine is Aurora.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Uuuuh wut? Are you talking about the Sith trooper sergeant? I don't remember her like that. In fact I remember her as a pretty nice "just a lowly grunt" type who served well to show that the empire does not entirely consist of babbie eating edgelords.
    I liked her, because she fit well with my (slightly crazy) reformist chars. :obviously:
    Sure, if you are the "hulk smash lol evil" type, she will obviously cramp your style a little, but that is true for pretty much every companion, bar some some of the lunatic beasts.

^ Top  
  16. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    You are mixing up and generalizing two different things here.
    Bethesda is still using the Gamebryo engine, which ironically was used for Civilization 4 as well IIRC, they just rebranded it "Creation" to imply it would be something new, because they are too cheap to aquire spmething new.
    The Unreal engine itself is mostly used as an affordable engine by smaller companies without access to inhouse solutions, but it also serves as a foundation to create something new, like EA's Frostbite engine. While it is still "based" on it, it does deserve it's own name. It just becomes a problem when marketing slaps a v2 on it just because someone changed a shader.

Pure Unreal engines are mostly used for consoletard games these days, so they can quickly pump out their shovelware on a proven plattform
    But the big "mainstream" players like EA, Rockstar, Ubisoft or CDPR have all built their own engines.
    Probably because the Unreal engine fees are based on sales. :hahano:

^ Top  
  17. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    First, you're mixing up one thing here: The question is whether DA:O's engine is a different engine from Aurora.

Secondly, No. The Unreal Engine is behind almost all games.

Thirdly, Unreal Engine 3 is already free, go download the UDK. Plenty of documentation online. Unreal Engine 4 is free unless you're publishing.

Fourth, they'll sue you if you just change a name. Unreal Engine is behind the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games, from which Epic Games is already rich as fuck. Edit: Remember Doom 3?

Fifth, it's being used in film-making now, according to a friend who does that crap. (Don't know why they get paid to learn it when you can easily learn it for free) Apparently Epic Games worked with Disney The Mandalorian to adapt UE for visual fx.

UE2:
    Advent Rising
    Bioshock 1/2
    Brothers in Arms + expies
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Star Wars: Republic Commando
    SWAT 4
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Ghost Recon 2
    GRAW
    Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
    Splinter Cell + sequels
    Tribes: Vengeance

UE3:
    Batman Arkham Asylum - Arkham Knight
    Gears of War
    Alpha Protocol
    America's Army
    Bioshock Infinite
    Borderlands 1/2
    Injustice: Gods Among Us
    Killing Floor 2
    Mass Effect 1,2,3
    Mirror's Edge
    Mortal Kombat X
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 1, 2
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM2

UE4:
    Warmachine Tactics
    Borderlands 3
    Darksiders 3
    Final Fantasy 7 Remake
    Fortnite
    Jedi: Fallen Order
    Street Fighter V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    ^ Top  
  18. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

What is a game engine?

OS?

lol.
    lol..

^ Top  
  19. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    She talked too much.

^ Top  
  20. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon...r-biggest-what-if-moment-from-its-development

But I don't even need to know that. If you've worked with games at all it's obvious

^ Top  
  21. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Anyways, I just realized that Darth Marr could be related to Visas Marr.

^ Top  
  22. Zariusz Savant

Zariusz
    [​IMG]

And its finished, i didnt expect that this story would be so enjoyable. Playing as honorable knight who wants best for the Empire feels glorious. And that music at the end just adds to whole experience, you can just feel like a victorious hero(starts 3:44).

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    That's such a good and useful outfit, eh? Well, not the boots. But those trousers work for anything, in case you get armor sets that have shitty pants.

I grabbed the Cutthroat Buccaneer

[​IMG]

Because I have a Twi'lek that's specially designed for Twi'leks. Or rather, it's Paxton Rall's armor.

Really damn hard to get a hat for a Twi'lek. I can't even wear robes with their hoods down (like Revered Master) because I would NEVER be able to actually pull the hood over my huge lekku.

Also its boots a perfect replacement for Dark Marauder's shitboots.

^ Top  
  24. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Just wait until you get to the Weasel song. I mean Revan. Sorry. All I hear is "weasel"...

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zariusz Savant

Zariusz
    This is also great, though i prefer former.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.