Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Crispy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    They might have been putting their budget into the next expansion. Bc a lot of changes, namely that Storyline is no longer tied to Class - though it's limited in that the Force classes can play different Force storylines, the Techs can play the other ones. And of course you're stuck with the voice actor for your storyline choice. I think that's a fine addition. Then it looks like they're renovating the "talent trees" and a bunch of other stuff.

I dunno, it seems like sounds like Kira + Scourge have lotta Children of the Emperor stuff coming up, and the Spirit of Vengeance is a usable setup for some Shae Vizla/Mandalorian quests. Not to mention Malgus running around.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You also can't really do any crafting (no idea how important it is, since I never subcribed) and are limited to human and zabrak (Darth Maul's race) at character creation. But you can buy some of the convenience stuff for credits. And you can get cartel credits monthly by using their 2FA app

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    after kotet they were siphoning devs from swtor to try and fix anthem

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Been thinking of trying this out. Do I understand correctly that it's better to just focus on main missions so that content wouldn't be laughably easy vs just being decent?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Your character gets scaled down to the level of your current area. Higher level still gives you access to abilities though so it is still easier but not as brain dead as before.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    I just reminded myself that years ago there were class vendors on Odessen with armor, what happened to them?

^ Top  
  7. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Just finished KOTFE Vet mode, I think I was slightly too overgeared but I did have to pay attention for any unique fights. Playing a skank tank Kinetic Shadow full DPS spec except with a shield, which also should be DPS-geared. Put the rest in crit or crit+alacrity. No need for accuracy bc tank discipline. No need for power/endurance/mastery since I'm still doing KOTFE/KOTET.

Also, rank the fuck up my companions because they're a source of DPS too (toggle off their channeled heal so they only use instants and thus shooting in between)

I'm just enjoying the project and cascading debris animation. Except with a class that actually uses the weapon in his hand. And the problem with Infiltration is that it replaces Project with some weird energy shit.

So if you wanna throw shit at enemies while smacking them with a lightsaber every now and then for kicks. (Not to mention Kinetic/Darkness have two strong AOEs.)

^ Top  
  8. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Wow they let me kick Jakarro off the game.

I wish I could set the whole game to Veteran mode.

^ Top  
  9. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    hate how boring modern MMORPG character statistics/equipment are thanks to copying WoW

BIG NUMBER GO UP WHEEEEEEEEEE

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    And if we are talking about numbers, item rating bloat in newest expansions is ridiculous, at lvl 60 you had like 190-210 with mastery 5000-7000 and at current lvl 75 this bullshit is literally over 10000 with 280-306 item rating.

^ Top  
  13. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    It's very easy, though. The loot you get always takes into account your overall iRating so it always progresses.

Now, the very easy part comes from going to the Spoils of War vendor and then buy equipment replacing your slot with the lowest iRating. Because that new equipment will be matched to your overall iRating. Rinse and repeat all the way.. I zoomed to 306 in like half an hour doing that lol. I also didn't even have many tech frags.

Then after you are at 306, since drops match, your Renown/FP loot is going to provide ~306 gear AND tech frags. I can immediately stock up any alts hitting 75 with 306. Granted, it'll cost credits to extract augments/enhancements.

And I literally haven't played the game for years.. Just started ~2 months in.

On that note, there is a 2x XP going until Nov 2nd (and XP = Renown when you hit 75). So that kinda helps lol.

^ Top  
  14. Ulysa Scholar

Ulysa
    Been playing for years, nowadays just pvp. I stopped caring about the story with all that Valokorian family melodrama. Each time they have an update they screw pvp more and more. Now they are removing abilities god knows why, apparently 28 abilities instead of 30 will make non MMO players try this game :roll:.

^ Top  
  15. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    You should give ESO a try. Dunno if the mechanics will suit you, but otherwise it's a gorgeous game with decent content & a quite active community.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ESO has the same nu-mmo issues as swtor with regards to class being meaningless and character progression being heavily streamlined/dumbed down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Actually I'm not sure how to make of it (as I don't play PTS). This is what it looks like:
    https://sites.google.com/view/merlyn-swtor/7-0-lots-of-swtor/7-0-pts-jedi-guardian

For each of those rows I think you can only pick one. Some are passives and some are other abilities.

For example this Defense Guardian, at level 20, you have to choose one and only one of the following: (1) A passive that improves Blade Storm, (2) the ability Cyclone Slash, and (3) a passive that improves Blade Barrage.

I don't think they're taking away abilities but rather that you can't take all of them, so you'll have less at the end. Level 70 is probably a better example: You cannot have Saber Reflect and Blaze Blitz on the same character.

Whether that is dumbing down... I think that depends if they design the trees smartly or if they do it dumb. And whether/how many of those are cosmetic.

^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    prediction:
    it's going to be shit

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Yeah probably. Lol.

^ Top  
  20. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Woah.

I accepted Valkorion's help twice... The third time I disagreed... But he actually overrode my choice because I gave him too much access. In terms of game mechanics, oops. (I've made the same choice in other runthroughs but this is the first time I'm bending over for Valky. I'm surprised. Literal C&C.)

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    Was this choice during Arcann fight?

^ Top  
  22. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Yeah the one on Asylum. I've both avoided and made the choice voluntarily before, this is the first time Valky got me.

^ Top  
  23. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    Nu expansion will launch at December 14th, probably there will be new cinematic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Honestly I'm just excited to play two different classes on the same character. Well, two different disciplines I think. Either way, I like it for the tech classes because depending on the mission - say if it's guaranteed fighting against Jedi - I would totally throw on some Mando armor just for that battle, although I'm an agent.

Better case scenario is if they emphasized Agents as Super Spec Ops, a la 40k's Officio Assisinorum. Your character is basically the crème of the crop so... Load him up with an advanced lightweight powertech armor. Go Vindicare.

Or better yet - realize that the Force is not just for lightsabers. That is, realize that Luke blew up the Death Star using a force-guided torpedo. I liked Kylo Ren at the end of TRoS because he was using the Force to just shoot his blaster at people behind him. The only reason he took up a lightsaber is honestly just to show off. You can tell these things because it's good acting. Adam Driver, good actor.

In other words. Any weapon can be guided by Force. You could simply be Force-sensitive only to shooting people.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    Also it seems that Valkorion armour will be finally available to the players in 7.0

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.