Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah yes, DS Trooper is basically Mr. Warcrimes and it's a lot of fun at times (think something akin to Soldier Boy from S3 of The Boys TV show). Story itself is very bland however, I played it last and it took me... well, years.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
There are also additional stories and expansions. About these I have this to say. It makes the most sense - from thematic point of view - to play all of these as either a Warrior or a Knight. First expansion is decent enough, it has a lot of KotOR charm to it, though I think I remember that at the time it wasn’t very well received. After that there comes Revan expansion - in short it’s shit - and after that Eternal Empire storyline. I’m torn on this one. Devs evidently wanted to finally make KotOR3 and it’s all over the place. I would say give it a go, it’s at least something, it’s a plotline which has a lot of identity, which cannot be said of some original class stories (I’m looking at Inquisitor and Smuggler here especially). After EE duology enters absolute mediocrity, don’t bother. Some side stuff is fun though, I quite liked Ziost for example.

Vatnik Wumao
Inquisitor was my favorite class. :M

That being said, if you want some MMO to play akin to a single player RPG and get immersed into its world and story, ESO is miles ahead of SWTOR. And it's quite the gorgeous game.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Sure, but in terms of settings these two can't be further apart IMHO. What I mean to say is that you won't necessarily buy into ESO even if you like story-driven MMOs and TOR.

Vatnik Wumao
Sure, but in terms of settings these two can't be further apart IMHO. What I mean to say is that you won't necessarily buy into ESO even if you like story-driven MMOs and TOR.
That's true. I'm personally more into TES lore than SW's though, so yeah.

dacencora

I quite liked the Consular story and definitely went more of a mixed route, and it was very interesting to me, but if you think The Phantom Menace is a boring movie, you probably won’t like the Consular story at all.

Still haven’t done Inquisitor or Trooper. Probably should one of these days. Knight was fairly boring. I definitely liked Warrior and Bounty Hunter the most.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Still looking to try some MMO's I havent played in long time or never at all. Was mostly looking to kind of chill out, explore and have a decent story without much expectations. My only concern is that its looking a bit preachy. Just not in the mood to get talked down too atm. Anyone speak on that before I waste time downloading it?

Codex Year of the Donut
Terrible MMO, great singleplayer game if you're a storyfag. Overlooked by most of the codex due to the MMO aspect but it's a very decent "KOTOR 3".
Not "preachy".

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Terrible MMO, great singleplayer game if you're a storyfag. Overlooked by most of the codex due to the MMO aspect but it's a very decent "KOTOR 3".
Not "preachy".

Yeah, just looking to chill out so some story is sounding good right about now. A lot of people saying not to subscribe via Steam as they aren't getting credit for it. Did you subscribe via steam or another method?

Codex Year of the Donut
Not "preachy".

Yeah, just looking to chill out so some story is sounding good right about now. A lot of people saying not to subscribe via Steam as they aren't getting credit for it. Did you subscribe via steam or another method?
both, steam subscription worked fine for me

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I don't get why people have issues with Steam subscriptions. They worked fine for me while I subbed this game.

As was already said, it's a good game if you just want to chill and absorb the story and lore. Main content is as of now piss easy, so you're in just for the story. MMO aspect is not terrible, just very, well, secondary, and it shows.

Shuruga

Educated
I'm not an MMO guy but I enjoyed KOTOR I and II back in the day and a few months ago I figured I'd give TOR a whirl since the story classes are now free. I played an Inquisitor and it was fun, if a bit longer than it needed to be for the story it wanted to tell... but my goodness the combat was dull. The progression of skills was OK and it was fun blasting away with different variations of force lightning for a few hours, but every single encounter was either (1) a small group of enemies that I'd start targeting with my AOE chain of skills or (2) one or two tougher enemies that I'd start targeting with my direct attack chain of skills. Even in the story zones that were only accessible by one player/party, they didn't do much by way of varying encounter design.

About 5 hours into it I was thinking, "yeah, I could see continuing on to the expansions or going through another storyline", but by the time I wrapped up the class story I was looking forward to being done.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
anytime I think of playing swtor and see this I instantly lose all interest
MwKKUUN.png

They could have submitted a proposal on codex to make the most racist, repulsive caricature possible and it wouldn't have been half as good

I shouldn't have scrolled past this post. Here is the launcher picture.

kdECH7B.jpg

:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
No way, they actually made her look significantly better there. The image I posted is how she was portrayed since she was introduced in multiple art pieces.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also pretty good. Basically being a rational Sith rather than some stupid evil caricature.
Rule of the thumb is - plotlines where you go with an alignment opposite to your standard alignment are just better, more entertaining and interesting.
I found the DS Trooper quite entertaining too. Defender of the Republic, but someone who doesn't give a shit about morality or legality (having no qualms about extracting information through torture or committing war crimes even against civilians). Just a tough as nails son of a gun.
Sounds like a Serb

Codex Year of the Donut
No way, they actually made her look significantly better there. The image I posted is how she was portrayed since she was introduced in multiple art pieces.

It's still (((Kathleen Kennedy))) approved bullshit. I agree with you though, the game itself isn't too bad.
as EA/Bioware's deal predated disney's acquisition of Star Wars I don't think they have any creative control over SWTOR.
SWTOR is the only pre-Disney piece of Star Wars & Star Wars Extended Universe content still being developed.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The problem with SWTOR nowdays when it's relatively smooth to play (took them almoust 10 years to get there) is that it's just braindeadly easy and nothing really matters between the CYOA dialogues.

Humanophage

Arcane
anytime I think of playing swtor and see this I instantly lose all interest
MwKKUUN.png

They could have submitted a proposal on codex to make the most racist, repulsive caricature possible and it wouldn't have been half as good

I shouldn't have scrolled past this post. Here is the launcher picture.

kdECH7B.jpg

:negative:
It's supposed to make you empathise with Darth Something.
YdkygVL.png

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Rusty on suicide watch:
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-the-old-republic-development-third-party-bioware

Star Wars: The Old Republic Going Third-Party as BioWare Focuses on Mass Effect and Dragon Age​

It's preparing to be taken over by Broadsword Online.​

Rebekah Valentine

BY REBEKAH VALENTINE

UPDATED: JUN 6, 2023 4:05 PM

POSTED: JUN 6, 2023 3:00 PM

EA is nearing an agreement to move the ongoing development and operation of MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic from BioWare to third-party studio Broadsword Online Games, IGN has learned.

According to sources familiar with the matter, Broadsword and EA have signed a letter of intent, with the deal expected to be finalized as soon as this month. The agreement would see The Old Republic handed over to current Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot developer Broadsword Online, which is run by former Mythic Entertainment co-founder and BioWare VP Rob Denton, who previously worked on The Old Republic in its early days.
After the publication of this story, EA addressed the news in the following statement:
“Almost 12 years after launch, Star Wars: The Old Republic remains a success and continues to grow its dedicated and passionate community. We’re so proud of the work the team has done, and the future of the game and the community continues to be very bright. We’re evaluating how we give the game and the team the best opportunity to grow and evolve, which includes conversations with Broadsword, a boutique studio that specializes in delivering online, community-driven experiences. Our goal is to do what is best for the game and its players.”
Currently, roughly 70-80 people are part of the core development team of The Old Republic, more than half of whom are expected to move to Broadsword. Those remaining with EA would have an opportunity to look for roles elsewhere within the company, but may otherwise face layoffs.
The Old Republic will continue to see planned content updates, such as the upcoming patch 7.3 and the next PvP season, with more expected down the line. EA will remain as the game's publisher, while BioWare will focus its resources on single-player games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The two series announced new games in 2018 and 2020, respectively, but details for both have been scarce ever since and Dragon Age: Dreadwolf in particular seems to be suffering from an exodus of senior leadership. Its QA workers voted to unionize last year
Star Wars: The Old Republic is leaving BioWare. Image source: IGN.STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC IS LEAVING BIOWARE. IMAGE SOURCE: IGN.

A new hope​

The Old Republic was first launched in December of 2011, and IGN gave it a 9/10 in our review at the time. It was initially released as a subscription game but was converted within the first year to free-to-play after a steep subscription drop-off, and has remained that way ever since to steady success.
The Old Republic is still being updated regularly, with numerous expansions over the last decade, and while it never quite reached the heights of competitor World of Warcraft, it did achieve nearly $1 billion in lifetime revenue as of 2019. Last year, its creative director Charles Boyd left the company after 16 years.
The Old Republic remains a popular period within the Star Wars universe, with Lucasfilm acknowledging it as a potential setting for future movies and shows. A remake of the original Knights of the Old Republic is currently in development, but its status is unknown after being delayed indefinitely.
One way or another, the Old Republic is on the cusp of a new era.

leuMOX

Literate
Tried it out recently. Absolute garbage for free players, and the incentive to get me to pay isn't there. It's just not a good MMO.

I couldn't believe how dated it felt, as if they just didn't bother to keep up with the times.

Back to LoTRO, I go.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Sad to see that this game is more or less getting sunsetted so Bioware can disgrace themselves again on the new Dragon Age. This game is still worth it for the Class Stories and KotFE/KotEE, horrible monetization notwithstanding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom