Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Neeshka said:
I'm surprised that even RPG codex has an almost 4chan-esque irrational hatred for WoW and wants to see blizzard and it's games "die".

Hating on WoW is also getting very old and very tired.

Well, since WoW is the very reason we do not have any good MMOs today, every ounce of hatred against WoW is welldeserved.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Neeshka said:
I'm surprised that even RPG codex has an almost 4chan-esque irrational hatred for WoW and wants to see blizzard and it's games "die".
I'm surprised that people still think the codex is some sort of hivemind.

raw said:
Neeshka said:

Well, since WoW is the very reason we do not have any good MMOs today, every ounce of hatred against WoW is welldeserved.
Maybe you should instead hate the shitty games that keep trying to be the next wow? I don't blame Blizzard for being succesful.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hating on wow, wow-clones or the retards that made wow successful is all equally futile.

Shannow

Waster of Time
SuicideBunny said:
hating on wow, wow-clones or the retards that made wow successful is all equally futile.
And "hate" is a feeling and can't be switched on/off as one chooses. And while it usually has "reasons" it's not neccessarily subject to rationality... :M

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
From what I'm seeing they are pulling in bigger numbers in game sales then previous "wow killers". So maybe it will actually hurt WOW in a noticeable manner... depends on whether SWTOR actually has any end game or no.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sergiu64 said:
From what I'm seeing they are pulling in bigger numbers in game sales then previous "wow killers". So maybe it will actually hurt WOW in a noticeable manner... depends on whether SWTOR actually has any end game or no.
Actually it depends not on big sales numbers for TOR but on whether or not a significant number unsubscribed from WOW for good to move over to TOR...

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Shannow said:
SuicideBunny said:
And "hate" is a feeling and can't be switched on/off as one chooses. And while it usually has "reasons" it's not neccessarily subject to rationality... :M

i am not even sure whether you can "hate" a computer game.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
raw said:
Shannow said:
SuicideBunny said:

i am not even sure whether you can "hate" a computer game.

Hohohoho hahahhahaa

How naive

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Neeshka said:
ToR is like WoW 3 years ago. And in a bad way. It's obviously very similar to WoW but lacks all the improvements that have happened to the original game.
So very true. Not just that, but improvements made on the WoW model by other games (public quests).

Personally I have a lot of gripes about the game (the casual community sucks, end-game heroic raid balance seems to always favor ranged); but parroting the same subjective bullshit is completely useless to any mmorpg discussion.
I think you're simply just jaded of WoW hate because you've played it for many years and, well, griped for so long too.

Majestic47

Learned
I can't even be bothered in hating WoW, what's wrong with the game is usually the players. It's very hard to find the people compatible to play with. The amount of requirement for encounters 'You must have a good warrior, two dps, cc and healer' creates all sorts of annoyance that I'd rather avoid when playing games.

I had one time where I just roamed around, killing random things, skinning while my group members tried desperately to find a healer to fill the last slot.

That was how weeknights were spent. Once my third month sub ended, I decided it wasn't worth carrying on like this and just let it expire.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WOW Killer or not, KOTOR OL is line to be an easy success. EA has stated they need just need to have 500k subscribers for a eyar to make their investment back. And, 1mil subsricbrs would put them into healthy profit territory. Consideirng that WOW has what? 10mil subrisbers.. WOW iller or not, EA will be laughing all the way to the bank.

However, you know what one full price sale they won't be getting? Mine.

In the end, I always win. :)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
ToR is like WoW 3 years ago. And in a bad way. It's obviously very similar to WoW but lacks all the improvements that have happened to the original game.
That's the main problem with most new mmos for me - they follow the EQ type of gameplay, offer a spin on one or two features but in the end it's nothing really exciting. I've played a lot of WoW and I can't be arsed with new mmos that are like WoW+ but without 7 years worth of content.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hoaxmetal said:
That's the main problem with most new mmos for me - they follow the EQ type of gameplay, offer a spin on one or two features but in the end it's nothing really exciting. I've played a lot of WoW and I can't be arsed with new mmos that are like WoW+ but without 7 years worth of content.

WoW is very different from EQ and most new MMOs have been following WoW rather then EQ.

Anyway, been playing SWTOR for a couple of days now and I'm kinda impressed. The gameplay itself is WoWish sure, but with voiced cut-scenes for every quest it kinda feels like I'm playing the first Mass Effect, except it's like 16 times bigger/longer. I'm having more fun leveling with this MMO then I did with any previous MMO I've played. Best Bioware game since BG2. I'm still not sure how good of an actual MMO it will be though since I don't know what there is to do once I get to 50, seems like then all there will be is make a new char and experience their story all the way to 50.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I noticed a facebook friend (I have to use facebook for my job so don't piss and moan) commented about getting TOR and a ton of random people posted their interest and boredom with WoW.

I guess if I could somehow extrapolate massive data from that I could agree with the topic.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have three types of friends who play MMOs: The ones playing TOR, the ones that stopped playing WoW, and the ones who stopped playing WoW and started playing TOR. Strangely enough there doesn't seem to be many in the last category but plenty in the two others.

Volourn said:
WOW Killer or not, KOTOR OL is line to be an easy success. EA has stated they need just need to have 500k subscribers for a eyar to make their investment back. And, 1mil subsricbrs would put them into healthy profit territory. Consideirng that WOW has what? 10mil subrisbers.. WOW iller or not, EA will be laughing all the way to the bank.

EA openly brags about their game being cheap?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What you posted just doesn't make any sense. 500k susbribers a year at about 100$ each (being gentle) is quite a lot of money.

Here's a hint: One does not need their MMO to be a wow killer to be a success. To say one does is to be plain bullshit.

Repressed Homosexual
SWTOR has indeed a good story and good writing, but the gameplay is the same inane WoW stuff as ever. I can't understand for the life of me how some people can spend most of their waking time walking 15 minutes between objectives and staring at refreshing skill icons to spam the same few ones over and over again. My head starts feeling like it will pop after 2 hours in. Not to mention that the environments are always based on the same pattern of camp, path, plain, camp, path, plain…. the quests no matter how well disguised, are always just go meet x, activate x switches, bring me x stuff… this is supposed to be fun?

It feels really awkward, it feels like constantly switching abruptly between WoW and KOTOR, and not in a good way.

Also are there completely separate storylines for the sith and the jedi?

The only game with that sort of gameplay I enjoyed was Everquest 2, because at least there was much more variety and complexity in the environments and a much bigger focus on wonder and exploration, instead of just prettying up the same boring three quest patterns over and over again.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Easy. You play a stealth class, avoid all the trash mobs, and sometimes even have to do some clever shit to avoid combat so you can activate switches and stuffies. I do feel sorry for the other classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom