Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Exar Kun

Scholar
Would love to create a Codex guild, but unfortunately I'm on Jung Ma US.

After I finish Macrobinocular and Seeker droid missions on my Marauder, I'll have completed ALL story content from the Empire side on my main. Including flashpoint storyline missions as well....

I'l probably grind the hardmodes to get a full set of the decent PVE gear, but without a guild I'l probably pass on operations for now.

I always found it difficult trying to persuade a bunch of random people to take me with them on operations, as most raiding groups know each other in real life or have been playing since launch.

Looking forward to see the Republic side of Makeb and also leveling an Agent.

J1M

Arcane
Don't worry guys, they will merge all of your servers soon enough. :smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
tumblr_li31ubQHMt1qeoz5xo1_400.gif

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So I gave TOR a try, and it surely isn't half as bad as I'd think. I'm actually enjoying it as a fun single-player experience with some also fun multiplayer action mixed into it. I've tried the Agent and Inquisitor storyline and they both start out as quite interesting indeed.

F2P model is pretty lulzy but TBH the locked out stuff is completely bearable - but again, I'm not much of a real MMORPG player so I don't care much about many stuff other people seem to care a lot for. Most convenience unlocks that I care about can be bought off the AH for credits and you can now earn some (not nearly as much as you should for a healthy F2P) free cartel coins for progress. While the combat system feels antiquated indeed, the quests are fun, combat itself can be interesting, looting and gearing is fun as well and - colour me surprised - there's actually some exploration involved and they managed to make it fairly interesting; I also really dig their multiplayer conversation system.

Where are you guys playing? I've joined at the Tomb of Freedon Nadd. I could start a new char on one of the NA servers if that's where I can find some Codexers, just IDK if it wouldn't get laggy. I'll have to start over my Agent char anyway 'cause it turned out that the Sniper advanced class is just plain boring, especially for soloing; while it's certainly fun to see the numbers go up, it's not fun when you can't do anything else and most of your skills require you to stay in place. Need to start again as an operative.

The main storylines starts out pretty well but they start to get worse and worse after the first chapter or so, and The Bioware Writing gets so grating about half-way through the Sith Warrior and Inquisitor storylines that I wanted to tear my eyes and ears off. The first impressions are deceiving, the planets becomes very boring after a while and gameplay becomes very repetitive too.

The engine is still unbelievably fucking horrible and buggy, and thanks to bugs which still haven't been fixed, armor/robe/clothing textures shows up like this for lot of players:

swtor+blurry+high+quality+textures.jpg

And

s6Xgx.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I still don't get what the big deal with high-rez textures is in TOR. Can't they just, you know, give you an ULTRA option to use or something? I remember they were actually streaming high-rez textures at one point after launch. Just... so much fuss about nothing, a common feature in games. If you have a good PC you can use better textures, if you don't you can't.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I still don't get what the big deal with high-rez textures is in TOR. Can't they just, you know, give you an ULTRA option to use or something? I remember they were actually streaming high-rez textures at one point after launch. Just... so much fuss about nothing, a common feature in games. If you have a good PC you can use better textures, if you don't you can't.

As far as I know, not only they disabled high resolution textures, they also have the bug what makes the low-res armor/robe/clothing textures even more blurry, as you can see from the screenshots.

Exar Kun

Scholar
They fixed the textures literally about a year ago in patch 1.2.

We are now at patch 2.1.

Exar Kun

Scholar

We are now at patch 2.1.

I still have that bug and so does several others.

Go to options, then make Texture Aliasing set it to High. You need to scroll down to see it. That should fix it for you, unless its actually a bug which I would be quite surprised to see at this point because it was fixed for me in 1.2.

Exar Kun

Scholar
ofx4I7g.jpg

The wreck of the Endar Spire, the ship you start on in KOTOR. Taris remains in shambles since Malak destroyed it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

We are now at patch 2.1.

Go to options, then make Texture Aliasing set it to High. You need to scroll down to see it. That should fix it for you, unless its actually a bug which I would be quite surprised to see at this point because it was fixed for me in 1.2.

I've tried everything I can think of, tried every setting from TORtanic and everything possible from NVidia Inspector, already uninstalled it though.

Exar Kun

Scholar

We are now at patch 2.1.

I've tried everything I can think of, tried every setting from TORtanic and everything possible from NVidia Inspector, already uninstalled it though.

Thats unfortunate. The game engine is quite bad. Lucky for me I have had almost no problems.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Thought the game was entertaining for what it was. Honestly, there's plenty of worse MMOs out there.

Thought the game was entertaining for what it was. Honestly, there's plenty of worse MMOs out there.

True, there certainly are. I think TOR earns the ire of so many (myself included) because of the pre-release hype train and the ensuing flood of apologists for its mediocrity when it launched, like so:

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Layers of story frame your character's actions in context to make you feel like you're playing a role, making this is no more of a World Of Warcraft clone than Half-Life was a Doom clone - even if the mechanics are largely similar due to both games existing in the same sub-genre that existed long before WoW. 9/10

Sauce (scroll to the bottom)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Pretty sure it just focused on the wrong things for the target market. Singleplayer people aren't going to pay for an MMO and are annoyed by the MMO bloat and grind. MMO players are like "WTF this is singleplayer."

It's a decent game it just didn't know who its market was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom