Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I shall perform the ritual.

tumblr_li31ubQHMt1qeoz5xo1_400.gif

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've started playing this again as a "preferred user" and it's not that bad of a free experience, really. The lack of med probes and 20% XP penalty are the main things that effect me as a solo quester, but the game isn't hard enough for med probes to be a huge issue and I constantly get XP boosts as quest rewards.

Maybe an end-game guy would need a sub but for RPG questing in the Old Republic universe this is pretty enjoyable. I got my old launch era Agent from 30 to 40 and am now messing with an Inquisitor.

Exar Kun

Scholar
I've started playing this again as a "preferred user" and it's not that bad of a free experience, really. The lack of med probes and 20% XP penalty are the main things that effect me as a solo quester, but the game isn't hard enough for med probes to be a huge issue and I constantly get XP boosts as quest rewards.

Maybe an end-game guy would need a sub but for RPG questing in the Old Republic universe this is pretty enjoyable. I got my old launch era Agent from 30 to 40 and am now messing with an Inquisitor.

Glad your enjoying it. I always said subbing is really for endgame content but you can go preferred the whole story experience and only have minor annoyances. Most you can also fix by just buying the unlocks on GTN which usually aren't expensive depending on which one.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Glad your enjoying it. I always said subbing is really for endgame content but you can go preferred the whole story experience and only have minor annoyances. Most you can also fix by just buying the unlocks on GTN which usually aren't expensive depending on which one.

Yes, I bought the "hide helmet" and "companion customization" unlocks on the auction house for chump change, relatively. Those are pretty much the only thing I would want. Maybe title unlocks at some point. Nothing I would pay real money for.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Meh, I've been given this game as a gift for a looong time time now, but I haven't even unwrapped it. IF you are an owner of the game you can play for free without any restrictions, right ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Meh, I've been given this game as a gift for a looong time time now, but I haven't even unwrapped it. IF you are an owner of the game you can play for free without any restrictions, right ?

You can play for free no matter who you are. Having bought the box will give you preferred status, same thing I got. Gives you some decent perks.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Wait, why is there a radial dialogue menu when you can't use a gamepad?
Modern gamers can't be expected to read all the options in a dialogue menu before choosing one, because reading is hard. The radial dialogue menu lets players choose the top option if they want to be a good guy, and the bottom one if they want to be a bad guy. Isn't it great that Bioware trusts the players with such complex decisions?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Modern gamers can't be expected to read all the options in a dialogue menu before choosing one, because reading is hard. The radial dialogue menu lets players choose the top option if they want to be a good guy, and the bottom one if they want to be a bad guy. Isn't it great that Bioware trusts the players with such complex decisions?
But you can do the same thing with a list, lol.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
But you can do the same thing with a list, lol.
True, but a radial menu is better because it's a circle. A list is a rectangle, and rectangles have edges that Bioware fans might cut themselves on.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nothing wrong with a radial menu if it responds quickly and smoothly to mouse movement, which this one does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom