Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Zariusz

Arbiter
And if we are talking about numbers, item rating bloat in newest expansions is ridiculous, at lvl 60 you had like 190-210 with mastery 5000-7000 and at current lvl 75 this bullshit is literally over 10000 with 280-306 item rating.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
And if we are talking about numbers, item rating bloat in newest expansions is ridiculous, at lvl 60 you had like 190-210 with mastery 5000-7000 and at current lvl 75 this bullshit is literally over 10000 with 280-306 item rating.
It's very easy, though. The loot you get always takes into account your overall iRating so it always progresses.

Now, the very easy part comes from going to the Spoils of War vendor and then buy equipment replacing your slot with the lowest iRating. Because that new equipment will be matched to your overall iRating. Rinse and repeat all the way.. I zoomed to 306 in like half an hour doing that lol. I also didn't even have many tech frags.

Then after you are at 306, since drops match, your Renown/FP loot is going to provide ~306 gear AND tech frags. I can immediately stock up any alts hitting 75 with 306. Granted, it'll cost credits to extract augments/enhancements.

And I literally haven't played the game for years.. Just started ~2 months in.

On that note, there is a 2x XP going until Nov 2nd (and XP = Renown when you hit 75). So that kinda helps lol.

Ulysa

Scholar
Been playing for years, nowadays just pvp. I stopped caring about the story with all that Valokorian family melodrama. Each time they have an update they screw pvp more and more. Now they are removing abilities god knows why, apparently 28 abilities instead of 30 will make non MMO players try this game :roll:.

Vatnik Wumao
Been playing for years, nowadays just pvp. I stopped caring about the story with all that Valokorian family melodrama.
You should give ESO a try. Dunno if the mechanics will suit you, but otherwise it's a gorgeous game with decent content & a quite active community.

Codex Year of the Donut
ESO has the same nu-mmo issues as swtor with regards to class being meaningless and character progression being heavily streamlined/dumbed down.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Been playing for years, nowadays just pvp. I stopped caring about the story with all that Valokorian family melodrama. Each time they have an update they screw pvp more and more. Now they are removing abilities god knows why, apparently 28 abilities instead of 30 will make non MMO players try this game :roll:.
Actually I'm not sure how to make of it (as I don't play PTS). This is what it looks like:
M7PiJ64KA41JLA3LgM21jXqCrXojWHlRGM-AN1N7F9LdgMpVxBQ1fzREuJPxzByk-dvYHaiijsJtb25J-9--mJeA8XkRy6doP1bFblK6pTmOeJR2v-Zd9_JVvw0lM6Ij4w=w1280
https://sites.google.com/view/merlyn-swtor/7-0-lots-of-swtor/7-0-pts-jedi-guardian

For each of those rows I think you can only pick one. Some are passives and some are other abilities.

For example this Defense Guardian, at level 20, you have to choose one and only one of the following: (1) A passive that improves Blade Storm, (2) the ability Cyclone Slash, and (3) a passive that improves Blade Barrage.

I don't think they're taking away abilities but rather that you can't take all of them, so you'll have less at the end. Level 70 is probably a better example: You cannot have Saber Reflect and Blaze Blitz on the same character.

Whether that is dumbing down... I think that depends if they design the trees smartly or if they do it dumb. And whether/how many of those are cosmetic.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Woah.

I accepted Valkorion's help twice... The third time I disagreed... But he actually overrode my choice because I gave him too much access. In terms of game mechanics, oops. (I've made the same choice in other runthroughs but this is the first time I'm bending over for Valky. I'm surprised. Literal C&C.)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Honestly I'm just excited to play two different classes on the same character. Well, two different disciplines I think. Either way, I like it for the tech classes because depending on the mission - say if it's guaranteed fighting against Jedi - I would totally throw on some Mando armor just for that battle, although I'm an agent.

Better case scenario is if they emphasized Agents as Super Spec Ops, a la 40k's Officio Assisinorum. Your character is basically the crème of the crop so... Load him up with an advanced lightweight powertech armor. Go Vindicare.

Or better yet - realize that the Force is not just for lightsabers. That is, realize that Luke blew up the Death Star using a force-guided torpedo. I liked Kylo Ren at the end of TRoS because he was using the Force to just shoot his blaster at people behind him. The only reason he took up a lightsaber is honestly just to show off. You can tell these things because it's good acting. Adam Driver, good actor.

In other words. Any weapon can be guided by Force. You could simply be Force-sensitive only to shooting people.

Sykar

Arcane
Honestly I'm just excited to play two different classes on the same character. Well, two different disciplines I think. Either way, I like it for the tech classes because depending on the mission - say if it's guaranteed fighting against Jedi - I would totally throw on some Mando armor just for that battle, although I'm an agent.

Better case scenario is if they emphasized Agents as Super Spec Ops, a la 40k's Officio Assisinorum. Your character is basically the crème of the crop so... Load him up with an advanced lightweight powertech armor. Go Vindicare.

Or better yet - realize that the Force is not just for lightsabers. That is, realize that Luke blew up the Death Star using a force-guided torpedo. I liked Kylo Ren at the end of TRoS because he was using the Force to just shoot his blaster at people behind him. The only reason he took up a lightsaber is honestly just to show off. You can tell these things because it's good acting. Adam Driver, good actor.

In other words. Any weapon can be guided by Force. You could simply be Force-sensitive only to shooting people.

Wasted on a shitty trilogy sadly. Probably should have been the main character instead of Miss Daisy "I cannot keep my mouth closed" Ridley. Her only good role for her career:
MV5BNzdjNmE3YWEtNDEwNi00OTUwLWFiOWQtZWEwOTFmMWJlODNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM1MjQzNTk@._V1_.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Wasted on a shitty trilogy sadly. Probably should have been the main character instead of Miss Daisy "I cannot keep my mouth closed" Ridley. Her only good role for her career:
MV5BNzdjNmE3YWEtNDEwNi00OTUwLWFiOWQtZWEwOTFmMWJlODNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM1MjQzNTk@._V1_.jpg
Because Disney is progressive that they gave us the typical white Prince-Princess romance. No tolerance for Finn-Rey. Worse, no tolerance for Finn-Poe.

They should've had Isaacs play one of the main mains so that there'd be more than one acting talent in front.

Sykar

Arcane
Isaac and Boyega were both better than Ridley though that is not a high bar to clear since she cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag. I guess Admiral Gender Studies might be a match for her.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Been getting back into this for the first time in... 10 years I think? I played at launch and finished the Trooper and Sith Warrior storylines before dropping off entirely. Want to up and finish the rest of the class storylines so I can finally stop feeling the urge to come back to this thing. Everything I've read about the updates and expansions makes it seem like they've been doing almost everything they can do make it into a largely single-player experience. Do all of the expansions have some single-player story component or just the Fallen Empire stuff?

The explosion of experience you get from regular play is amazing to me, I remember it being so much slower in the early days. Heroics and Flashpoints are wholly do-able with only you and a companion, and it all feels so much easier as a result. I do hear that changes later on though.

Nevertheless the fact this thing is still alive and churning enough profit with supposedly worthwhile content and writing to sustain itself after all these years is amazing to me. I'm excited to see what all the hell has been put into this thing.

dacencora

Been getting back into this for the first time in... 10 years I think? I played at launch and finished the Trooper and Sith Warrior storylines before dropping off entirely. Want to up and finish the rest of the class storylines so I can finally stop feeling the urge to come back to this thing. Everything I've read about the updates and expansions makes it seem like they've been doing almost everything they can do make it into a largely single-player experience. Do all of the expansions have some single-player story component or just the Fallen Empire stuff?

The explosion of experience you get from regular play is amazing to me, I remember it being so much slower in the early days. Heroics and Flashpoints are wholly do-able with only you and a companion, and it all feels so much easier as a result. I do hear that changes later on though.

Nevertheless the fact this thing is still alive and churning enough profit with supposedly worthwhile content and writing to sustain itself after all these years is amazing to me. I'm excited to see what all the hell has been put into this thing.
Everything is able to soloed now, except Operations. You can do all the Flashpoints and most, if not all, the Heroics by yourself these days. The Eternal Throne is similar to Dragon Age: Inquisition but about 100x times better. Still not anything super noteworthy per se, but it was fun enough to go through both of those xpacs. The December update will allow you to have much more freedom in combat. Before the only class that could use a Blaster Rifle was Imperial Agent. Now any tech class could use a Blaster Rifle. You can be a Sith Juggernaut as an Inquisitor, and all that.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ehh i hate armour clipping in this damn game. So much searching, waiting and trading on GTN and then when you finally collect every item...

BaWBBfG.png

:rage:
I dont know if thats bad moddeling, Biofagian inability to implement physics or that fucking HeroEngine but its fucking shit.
Atleast with magical powers of GIMP i can see how it should look

GQcuAv5.png

:argh:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like it for the tech classes because depending on the mission - say if it's guaranteed fighting against Jedi - I would totally throw on some Mando armor just for that battle, although I'm an agent.

Can't you already use whatever armor you want with the outfit designer? So you'd have one outfit with mando armor, one with the powertech... At least I do that on my characters

Zariusz

Arbiter
Right is the Starwars equivalent of MMORPG chainmail bikini?
I can has Leia slave outfit?
Can a male wear one?
Actually chest was from some swimsuit set, first i tried to use it to make an outfit that would have that bronze age Tales of the Jedi feel but i ditched it later after some dye problems, i still used half of it cause why the hell not? There is nothin wrong with some nice thighs in the background.
And this swimwear has also male version with visible chest, there are dancer outfits that look like slave Leia (though those are only for ladies), there was also slave set though probably it was removed or renamed after Disney went apeshit with word "slave" and started to remove it from everything.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Too lazy to write anything right now BUT I think these sources will help "guide" the solo path.

Click for full screen.

Or prose version: https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-solo-story-path/

What's interesting now is that there are two possible storylines, and each of the two have a variation. You can either join a faction (Republic or Empire) for reals, or you can do it as a "saboteur." The game doesn't offer the choice of openly joining an opposite faction but I'm pretty sure that's a shitload of work. So instead you get alternate bonus quests for sabotage and you can even sabotage certain story events.

So far I've only been a Republic-turned-Empire saboteur, Commander Jorjelu Kes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom