Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcraft 2 fries your GPU.

relootz

Scholar
I play on 1920*1200 its the resolution of my screen.

denizsi

Arcane
1920x1200 is pretty cool. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, though I can do with 1650x1080 perfectly. I think I only play at 1920x1200 in online shootan gmaes.

Lesifoere said:
Secretninja said:
Some are willing to spend the extra money, and have the most full gaming experience available today. Why have an overclocked 6 core processor, 2 hd 5970s in crossfire, and a mouse with 38 buttons if you AREN'T going to render the menus hundreds of times faster than your eye can perceive or your monitor can refresh.

:thumbsup:

Now I want to know if anyone actually has a rig set up like that and why the fuck anyone would want to. Running Crysis at 19200x12000?

Those extra 0s isn't a slip, right? Anyway, don't forget the faggots who have multi-display setups with 3+ monitors.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
why the fuck anyone would want to. Running Crysis at 19200x12000?
I'd want to...

Running ArmA2 with 10km viewdistance, with everything maxed out and 4x FSAA at 1680x1050 at 40+ FPS is my wet dream

CrimHead

Scholar
Oh so that's your dream? That? That right there? Running a game with next gen graphics smoothly? Get the fuck out of here. You're the newfag. No respectable pc gamer gives a flying fuck about graphics, that's why everyone else on these forums are playing 2d rpgs and you're drooling over some stupid fucking new shit popamole shooter with 10K DRAW DISTANCE OMFG! IM SO GLAD I SHELLED OUT 3K FOR THIS COMPUTER SO I CAN PLAY ARMA2 AT 15FPS FAP FAP FAP

Secretninja

Cipher
CryptRider said:
It is a Codex' meme, are you saying it isn't so?

yes i am saying it isn't so

You are obviously. I like how you instantly went into a butthurt defensive mode trying to weasel out by posting shit that doesn't mean anything. Keep it up.

actualy you went first into defensive mode , just go back one page ,

you've said "don't be a retard" after my statement , you've must have been in some way BUTTHURT by my statement , if you weren't you would say "don't be a retard" to me , you wouldn't even care and would say anything. Obviously the keyword here was - POPAMOLE.

going into butthurt mode and not dealing with others shit are 2 different things.So while you go into butthurt mode , i don't deal with your shit.
irony again.

3/10, but you do get 2 bonus points for successfully trolling skyway. All in all, a great success.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
denizsi said:
Those extra 0s isn't a slip, right? Anyway, don't forget the faggots who have multi-display setups with 3+ monitors.

Not a slip. I threw the extra zeros in for hyperbolic purposes. Maybe I should've said 192000x120000 to be more obvious? Speaking of multi-display, is there much use for that when gaming?

Prosper

Educated
my engine already accounts for a real fps controlled game loop.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
CrimHead said:
Oh so that's your dream? That? That right there? Running a game with next gen graphics smoothly? Get the fuck out of here. You're the newfag. No respectable pc gamer gives a flying fuck about graphics, that's why everyone else on these forums are playing 2d rpgs and you're drooling over some stupid fucking new shit popamole shooter with 10K DRAW DISTANCE OMFG! IM SO GLAD I SHELLED OUT 3K FOR THIS COMPUTER SO I CAN PLAY ARMA2 AT 15FPS FAP FAP FAP

Skyway is totally revealed as a run of the mill, generic graphics whore no different than the consoletards he rages against.

What's so bad about liking good visuals in addition to good gameplay? You people freak me out sometimes.

CryptRider

Educated
Multidirectional said:
What's so bad about liking good visuals in addition to good gameplay? You people freak me out sometimes.

good visuals can mean different things , for me good visuals are cartoony graphics , games should be a form of art and not chasing into super realistic wannabe life looking thing , that's why older games were fun , because they were meant to be fun and not like todays games "super ultra physx like in real life" " mmos to make you grind into oblivion without having a life "

settlers2_gold_1.jpg

2.jpg

Obviously you're way codex-cooler than me, so forgive me if I don't understand you very well.
Ok I'll rephrase then - what's so bad about liking technically advanced visuals (and physics) in addition to good gameplay?
There are some legitimate reasons to be pissed of at skyway, but bashing him for wishing to run ArmA 2 at max settings with good FPS (which is my wish too, I get max 25 FPS in bigger battles with any acceptable view distance, hence me not playing it) smells of retardation to me.

1eyedking

Erudite
CryptRider said:
Multidirectional said:

good visuals can mean different things , for me good visuals are cartoony graphics , games should be a form of art and not chasing into super realistic wannabe life looking thing , that's why older games were fun , because they were meant to be fun and not like todays games "super ultra physx like in real life" " mmos to make you grind into oblivion without having a life "

settlers2_gold_1.jpg

2.jpg
Hi Drog.

denizsi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Lesifoere said:
why the fuck anyone would want to. Running Crysis at 19200x12000?
I'd want to...

Running ArmA2 with 10km viewdistance, with everything maxed out and 4x FSAA at 1680x1050 at 40+ FPS is my wet dream

I gotta try this to see if my system can handle it. I'll not remove ArmA2 from inventory just for this.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think that various simulation games are the only thing that could get me to buy a high-end computer (if I would have lots of money, that is) as it's probably the only game genre where I really get the bang for the bucks when I upgrade computer. In other genres, high-end graphics are something that I don't need and I'm not interested in paying for.

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Skyway is totally revealed as a run of the mill, generic graphics whore no different than the consoletards he rages against.

ZOMG what a discovery!
I always was a graphics whore and never tried to hide it, what are you talking about?

Also console games have shitty graphics

Monocause

Arcane
Just so you know, adding the variables.txt lines mentioned in the OP improved performance on my rig considerably and significantly reduced the "paged pool memory" issue. Perhaps even if some of you guys didn't overheat you should try adding it and see what it does.

I even think I noticed an improvement in loading speed, but that might just be my imagination.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't see how clamping the FPS could lower paged memory use. Are you sure the patch didn't do that? Because it was released about the same time as this.

Monocause

Arcane
Xor said:
I don't see how clamping the FPS could lower paged memory use. Are you sure the patch didn't do that? Because it was released about the same time as this.

No idea too, but the improvement is definitely there. Might be that there's some sort of a big fuck up that hogs up your resources along with overheating your hardware if you let it.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't standard VM.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=113433

A possible explanation is this: in the menus your card works at 100% capacity to render these insane 300 frames. Your graphics card drivers start to use up more and more resources because of that. Once you cap the framerate, the usage doesn't go crazy except when there's a shitton of things on the screen and the resource management is better.

EDIT: No, it's not because of a patch. I've yet to purchase the game and am playing a pirated one.

CrimHead

Scholar
Multidirectional said:
Obviously you're way codex-cooler than me, so forgive me if I don't understand you very well.
Ok I'll rephrase then - what's so bad about liking technically advanced visuals (and physics) in addition to good gameplay?
There are some legitimate reasons to be pissed of at skyway, but bashing him for wishing to run ArmA 2 at max settings with good FPS (which is my wish too, I get max 25 FPS in bigger battles with any acceptable view distance, hence me not playing it) smells of retardation to me.

The development of photo realistic visuals is one the worst things to have happened to gaming. There's no artistry there, no style, just reality. It seems like every game strives to have the most realistic visuals possible, when they should be doing the exact opposite, striving to have the most stylistically innovative visuals possible. In that way, 2d games are superior to 3d games, in that the developers had to stylize their games, because the realistic or photo realistic options weren't 't available.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The development of photo realistic visuals is one the worst things to have happened to gaming. There's no artistry there, no style, just reality.
Except ArmA2 is about reality, that includes rendering realistic environments. There is no place for "style" and "artistry" even in "civilian" version of VBS2 which several NATO countries use to train their troops with.

So your comment comes out as silly to say the least.

Edit: As for other things - that's the problem of the developers. Cool 3D has nothing to do with it, if anything it only allows games to render visuals as good as 2D games did with pre-rendered backgrounds - like BG2 and Stronghold. The problem is the developers which just keep slapping bloom to cover up crappy textures and low-poly models of multiplatform titles and use the same UE3 engine for everything.

CryptRider

Educated
MetalCraze said:
The development of photo realistic visuals is one the worst things to have happened to gaming. There's no artistry there, no style, just reality.
Except ArmA2 is about reality, that includes rendering realistic environments. There is no place for "style" and "artistry" even in "civilian" version of VBS2 which several NATO countries use to train their troops with.

So your comment comes out as silly to say the least.

simulators are the only ones that can and should strive to be 'realistic' , hence their name - they try to simulate our world.
but other games for 'fun' should be artistic

Yes it's bad software... stuff to not cap the frame rate at the menus. It's not unheard of though, several other games did this, including Crysis. If that's what killed your GPU card, it was probably going to go soon anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom