Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcraft 2 - RPGCODEX / Friend List

ScottishMartialArts said:
FFA is kinda lame as Terran. Turtle then build a crap load of Thors. Press "I Win" button.

Kind of true in general though. What are the counters to Thors? Because they seem massively overpowered at the moment.

Thors are only good against light air units (muta especially). Otherwise they do something like 8 DPS to non-light. In other words, an unstimmed marine does as much damage against non-light air as a Thor, minus the splash. Broodlords absolutely screw them up, as they are forced to waste fire on the broodlings. Terran should be able to mess them up with a standard siege tank line, or Marine/Marauder combo (or both). You can also completely neuter their AA with a raven using PDD if you were going Banshees or BCs. Protoss have Immortals which are pretty good. You can also use High Templar's feedback for a cool 200 damage instantly. Frankly, anyone who masses Thors is a noob. There are much better units.

FFA generally leans more towards air units. Void ray/Carrier or Battlecruiser/Viking spam. Course, 99% of players have no idea how to macro and try to get 200 supply worth of Battlecruisers off 1 base with 1 starport while I just play a standard game and wipe them out 20 mins before they have an army :roll:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
attackfighter said:
Azarkon said:
Is this you kingcomrade

Pretty sure it's him...

kingcomrade United States. August 09 2010 04:14. Posts 67 PM Profile Quote #
Blizzard has some amazing programmers, artists, and animators, but boy do they not have any good writers. It wasn't until I got back to the title screen and saw the SC2 logo that I realized I wasn't playing a sonic the hedgehog fanfiction or watching a Syfy Original movie.

Blizz also needs to lay off the opera music. That stuff is fine for Warcraft which is supposed to be corny, but Starcraft is supposed to have some dignity.
Opera music as in music with an orchestra? Lol someone's ignorant.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Overweight Manatee said:
FFA generally leans more towards air units. Void ray/Carrier or Battlecruiser/Viking spam. Course, 99% of players have no idea how to macro and try to get 200 supply worth of Battlecruisers off 1 base with 1 starport while I just play a standard game and wipe them out 20 mins before they have an army :roll:
If that's really true maybe I am ready to start multiplayer.

Dicksmoker said:
Overweight Manatee said:

If you can beat the comp consistently on insane with legit tactics, you are probably at least a high platinum level. If you can beat Very Hard, probably low platinum. And I am being conservative with these estimates. I still have troubles with a few insane comp match ups but I haven't fought a diamond player who was obviously absurdly better then me.

The good players who actually know how to play are outnumbered 1000:1 by noobs who rush you with 4 zealots and, upon failing, turtle up for the rest of the game and hope you go away.

Antihero

Liturgist
Overweight Manatee said:
FFA is still somewhat interesting for the early or mid game usually. If you're busy staying alive against two other opponents, it seems like 99% of the time the one sitting out of the action is some bronze-league Protoss that cannoned off their base and is massing up void rays, carriers, and a mothership. Just gets kind of predictable.

I'm not that great a player, but it just seems like you can't as easily expand while they turtle because you have other enemies elsewhere that are being aggressive - especially as Zerg anyway.

Generally FFA is pretty damn low skill level anyway, and players aren't good enough to harass your natural expo while you are killing someone else. It seems everyone is turtling and afraid to move beyond 1 or 2 bases. You can usually fast expand to your natural and any other out of the way bases there may be with little threat.

As long as you send a few units to hold important watch towers or otherwise just check up on opponents every once in a while, you shouldn't have too many problems with getting surprised buttsexed while you are finishing off someone else. I've played about 15 FFA's and so far I was the most aggressive player in every game, the only time I've lost is when I was finishing off the 2nd player and the 3rd comes in with 40 void rays he made off 1 base in the corner, which I should have scouted.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Yeah I wasn't saying you couldn't. That's why I said work TO BECOME a normal. Either that or you need to learn how to stop worrying and love the decline.
dr_strangelove.jpg

HAHA nicely done

attackfighter

Magister
Overweight Manatee said:
Dicksmoker said:
Overweight Manatee said:

If you can beat the comp consistently on insane with legit tactics, you are probably at least a high platinum level. If you can beat Very Hard, probably low platinum. And I am being conservative with these estimates. I still have troubles with a few insane comp match ups but I haven't fought a diamond player who was obviously absurdly better then me.

The good players who actually know how to play are outnumbered 1000:1 by noobs who rush you with 4 zealots and, upon failing, turtle up for the rest of the game and hope you go away.

And if you can 'A move marines' like me you're probably diamond.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Dicksmoker said:
attackfighter said:
Azarkon said:
Is this you kingcomrade

Pretty sure it's him...

kingcomrade United States. August 09 2010 04:14. Posts 67 PM Profile Quote #
Blizzard has some amazing programmers, artists, and animators, but boy do they not have any good writers. It wasn't until I got back to the title screen and saw the SC2 logo that I realized I wasn't playing a sonic the hedgehog fanfiction or watching a Syfy Original movie.

Blizz also needs to lay off the opera music. That stuff is fine for Warcraft which is supposed to be corny, but Starcraft is supposed to have some dignity.
Opera music as in music with an orchestra? Lol someone's ignorant.
Please direct me to the wikipedia articles you learned this from so I can give a shit about whether the term is technically correct or not on internet forums as well. It will give me the chance I want to finally be righteous about something.

I'm talking about the chorus shouting they put in at every non-dramatic moment in every cutscene.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
kingcomrade said:
Please direct me to the wikipedia articles you learned this from so I can give a shit about whether the term is technically correct or not on internet forums as well. It will give me the chance I want to finally be righteous about something.
Instead of directing you to a wikipedia article, how about instead I direct you to the university where I got my music degree? Then you can know what an opera is and isn't, just like me.

I'm talking about the chorus shouting they put in at every non-dramatic moment in every cutscene.
Chorus shouting is just chorus shouting, and can be a part of lots of different genres. An opera first and foremost has to have soloists, which admittedly I think I've heard a little bit in Starcraft 2 but I know you weren't talking about that exclusively.

Luan

Educated
Ulminati said:
2 immortals (250 minerals, 100 gas, 4 supply each) will take out a thor (300 minerals, 200 gas, 6 supply) without losses. 3 immortals will take out 2 thors with one immortal surviving. Possibly 2 if properly microed.

Just want to chime in that unupgraded, a thor and immortal almost kill each other. It can come down to simply who gets the first shot off. Both with upgrades though, an immortal will straight out rape a Thor unless you use the Thor's 250mm cannon barrage (the +damage vs armored for Immortals scales much better than the Thor's +generic damage).

Also random trivia, an Ultralisk will kill a Thor even if it uses it's 250mm cannon barrage as they are immune to stun. They are left alive with 2 hp consistently. lawl.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Sugarbooger 816

USA

Multiplayer has been rather shit because none of my irl friends play and all my online friends are from europe it seems and blizzard are a bunch of faggots for no between region play.

Fuck you kc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
kingcomrade said:
Instead of directing you to a wikipedia article, how about instead I direct you to the university where I got my music degree? Then you can know what an opera is and isn't, just like me.

Chorus shouting is just chorus shouting, and can be a part of lots of different genres. An opera first and foremost has to have soloists, which admittedly I think I've heard a little bit in Starcraft 2 but I know you weren't talking about that exclusively.

I think you missed KC's point, so let me spell it out for ya:

WHAT THE FUCK DO I CARE WHETHER I USE THE CORRECT WORD FOR ORCHESTRAL MUSIC ON THE INTERNET

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
OK, I got my name changed to Anomandaris and my new character code is 391. I'm also ready to play multiplayer now with anyone who is interested. Yes, even you, Wholesale.

Last edited:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Instead of directing you to a wikipedia article, how about instead I direct you to the university where I got my music degree?
oh god he is a stupid as I think he is

He went to collage to lern that opera music is different from like symphony and shit

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Actually I already knew that before I even went to college, but I thought I'd at least point you in the right direction since you're so obviously clueless on the subject.

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Dicksmoker said:
OK niggers, I got my name changed to Anomandaris and my new character code is 391. I'm also ready to play multiplayer now with anyone who is interested. Yes, even you, Wholesale.

:love:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've never even used roaches in melee yet. Everyone gears up vs armored units anyways, so I just go ling + hydra/muta.

Technoviking

Novice
Ulminati said:
Depending on the environment, a zerg player can try to get the Thor with broodlords. They do a surprising amount of damage and they outrange the thor. Thors anti-air is kind of weak, but splashes. The main reason thors rape mutalisks is because they clump up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68H8FeZHkWg

Just note the text comment he gives at the start of the video. This isn't some 'I win' tactic, but just figured I'd point this out in case you hadn't seen it before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom