Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Starcraft

I recently have started to play this game. What is your opinion about it? I play Starcraft 1 in skirmish mode with computer and so far it looks excellent. Nice 2D graphics without any lag, interesting choices in build and strategy. Interestions factions ( Terran, Zerg, Protoss ).

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Played it through back in the 2000s and again last decade. It's a good game, although some of the (later?) Protoss campaign missions started to feel more like work than having fun. I like the cheesy cinematics and how the Terrans are portrayed. Multiplayer is not for me, I suck too much.

jackofshadows

Magister
A brilliant game. And even skirmish mode alone is able to provide countless hours of joy, yeah. When I was still new to the game, my favorite setup (inspired by Starship Troopers) was terran vs 3-5 zergs and playing defensively until all the minerals were depleted and then phase two: the cleanup started.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The game is pure incline. The atmospheric campaign was one of the best I have ever played in a RTS game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
One of the best if not the best rts of all time,the Brood War expanson is pure incline too

Neat setting. Great soundtrack. Gameplay was good for its time, has aged badly, but that goes for basically every older RTS since SupCom demonstrated how to do the genre properly.

d1r

Patron
Neat setting. Great soundtrack. Gameplay was good for its time, has aged badly, but that goes for basically every older RTS since SupCom demonstrated how to do the genre properly.

How exactly did it age badly?

Locked camera, bad pathing, bad unit AI in general, lack of templates, non-flux economy, bad instruction queuing, land and air units aren't meaningfully different, low unit cap, projectiles aren't simulated, no relief dependency, no battlefield reclaim, no build assist / build force mechanic, etc.

d1r

Patron

Locked camera, bad pathing, bad unit AI in general, lack of templates, non-flux economy, bad instruction queuing, land and air units aren't meaningfully different, low unit cap, projectiles aren't simulated, no relief dependency, no battlefield reclaim, no build assist / build force mechanic, etc.

There is almost nothing in your list that would somehow diminish my joy with this game if I were to come back and replay the game's campaign. And I am pretty sure that 95% of all the other players out there who played and loved Starcraft will think the same.

There is almost nothing in your list that would somehow diminish my joy with this game if I were to come back and replay the game's campaign.

For me personally when I go back to playing older RTS which I loved in their time - AoE2, StarCraft, WLBC2, etc - I actually can't enjoy them anywhere near as much as I did back in their day, having experienced so much better since then. The gameplay is so bad by comparison that it actively hampers my enjoyment.

Johannes

Arcane

So because it isn't Total Annihilation it's crap. Ok

So because it isn't Total Annihilation it's crap. Ok

I know you think you've posted some sort of "gotcha!" but yes, that's correct.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
You can get good by getting stomped constantly by the South Koreans. SC is a national sport.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Amazing game. Superb campaign with a rad story, great character interactions and perfect voice acting. Never cared much for the competitive nonsense though, so outside the campaign I mostly played team games with AI or custom games.
Shame how Starcraft 2 absolutely raped its characters, story and just about everything else.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I admire how well they managed to design & balance 3 such completely unique factions. Most other devs would've just copied, recolored & reskinned the units, maybe added a couple unique ones, and done a few stat tweaks.

The Terrans are one of my all-time favorite factions. Love the "Confederacy in space" design, and the gritty kinda redneck feel (like Firefly). Makes most other sci-fi factions feel sterile by comparison.

Favorite jukebox song from the sequel:

It was and is fun and good. Awesome campaign from start to finish, with maybe a bit of a dip in protoss campaign in brood war. Become queen bitch of the galaxy/10.

I found the enhanced re-release felt really choppy to me, the animations just did not seem as smooth.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

RTS has been my favorite genre in my teens and I still like it, but despite all the RTS fans claiming Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are the BEST EVER!!! I never really got the appeal of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom