Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's new game "Elemental: War of Magic"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Only two races with 6 factions each. So we'll be missing a lot of cool races from MOM.

Oh please. I will take well thought-out 2 races with 6 factions AND non-linear development of each one over 12to15 MoM/AoW2/AOWSM races with their absolutely linear development where you have to build the same buildings over and over and the point of which is to build more uberunits that each race has, making older units obsolete.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
YourConscience said:
hahaha this game has been amazingly disappointing so far ...

Amazing, so many conclusions about a game in pre-alpha stage that's two years off of release. I wish I would know so well how my software projects turn out to be two years in advance. That would make me a rich man really quickly!

What can I say, I knows what I likes. Turn based combat, conventional mechanics, conventional art, the classic generic fantasy non furry races. Some might call me really boring, I say I just appreciate the classics.

Your tastes may be different.

But one thing I'd argue there is little doubt that Rome and Medieval 2 Total War sieges were a gigantic clusterfuck compared to AOW2 or especially AOW1 sieges. The AI couldn't handle them at all. It'll be a tough task for the vaunted AI developers at Stardock.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
ricolikesrice said:
cant someone simply remake MoM 1:1 with civ4-like graphics, good art design, better AI & interface ? :(

Fuck yeah. I doubt any clone will have such badass magic and stuff. You know: death gaze, cracks call, spell of mastery and shit.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
Seboss said:
Gamespot first look

About battles, here's an excerpt:
Gamespot said:
Battles do not play out in real time per se but are continually turn-based. You could pause the game to queue up various attacks or let the battles play out, issuing orders on the fly and playing the battles out as if they were in real time.

This makes me think a bit of Space Rangers II. I liked that mechanic quite a bit.

When I think of RTwP I always think of some RTS that allows commands while paused. Or maybe Baldur's Gate as another example. But what they're talking about here feels more like turn-based with the actions then occurring simultaneously, which avoids quite a few of the turn-based exploits but still allows for detailed strategy. I guess you could call that RTwP, but it seems like something more to me.

Seboss

Liturgist
skyway said:
Stardock has all rights to MoM franchise. Why aren't they making a sequel is beyond me.
Not sure about that. I seem to remember they wanted to acquire the rights from Atari but they got too greedy or something.

Only two races with 6 factions each. So we'll be missing a lot of cool races from MOM.
Stardock games have always been largely moddable, and not in the Bethesda "here's a broken game, fix it if you care" way.
Like skyway said, I'd rather take a handful of fully developed and balanced factions instead of dozens of hastily implemented ones. The community, or yourself for that matter, can fill the gaps.

Psycroptic said:
This makes me think a bit of Space Rangers II. I liked that mechanic quite a bit. [...] I guess you could call that RTwP, but it seems like something more to me.
I hope it will be something like that too.

YourConscience said:

Amazing, so many conclusions about a game in pre-alpha stage that's two years off of release. I wish I would know so well how my software projects turn out to be two years in advance. That would make me a rich man really quickly!

FOOL! The Hivemind has insight beyond your mere human senses. We know ALL the possibilities of the future, puny fool!

Lightknight

Liturgist
Still this is stardock they are pretty good at making games
Well...that depends on how you look at it. I personally found all their games rather bland and/or boring, never could get into GalCiv, despite all the hype. Its just so...static and clumsy. And dont get me started on the huge disappointment that was the ship constructor in GalCiv2.
Oh, and for the last few years they dedicatedly churn out add-ons, one after another, what is this, Sims Jr. ?

Stardock games have always been largely moddable, and not in the Bethesda "here's a broken game, fix it if you care" way.
Thats probably the best merit of their games.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
I do agree with Galctic Civs being a very static game, almost like playing a slow board game on the computer. For some reason Civ III feels more dynamic, the Galctic Civs, maybe becuase theie is more movement and management of cities and roads and improvements compared to far out removed view of planets and tons of space.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Looks good so far, I like how they are incorporating PRG elements with the stratagy. Not to mention it will be moddable, allowing modders to make King of Dragon Pass or Birthright type Stratagy/RPG games.

YourConscience said:

Fool, the Hivemind can see the future!

And this looks like a strange mix of MOM, Age of Wonders and Total War. Will keep looking with interest.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Did you see the shoulder pads ? :roll:

I really like most things about the presentation, the map and UI, so it will all be down to the gameplay. The only thing I can't stand is this horrible huge blue thing around the character.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
GlobalExplorer said:
Did you see the shoulder pads ? :roll:

I really like most things about the presentation, the map and UI, so it will all be down to the gameplay. The only thing I can't stand is this horrible huge blue thing around the character.

At this point in the era of the evolution of gaming, I will give Stardock the benefit of a doubt compared to about 90-95% of other companies where I wouldn't!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That's very much how I am feeling too. For some reason I cant get back into ToA, but if they make strategy / RPG / whatever I will be interested. You have got to be happy about every developer that continues to support the PC, with genuine PC interfaces and such.

I also never played MoM so can I see this just as a new game.

So far the art and UI looks really good, and I am a sucker for good interfaces.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's pretty much the best 4X game ever. At least the best "fantasy" one, with Alpha Centauri / MoO2 tied for "sci-fi".

Judging by the title its going to have that highly original elemental magic system pioneered by pokemon y'know water defeats fire etc.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Sounds pretty cool, being the only one in the kingdom with magic do we face off against other kingdoms with their own elementalists or are we one of a kind?

Sounds cool so far!

DiverNB

Liturgist
Jasede said:
It's pretty much the best 4X game ever. At least the best "fantasy" one, with Alpha Centauri / MoO2 tied for "sci-fi".

What'd you think of GalCiv2? Although I agree it is no AC, I thought it was pretty good. Maybe because I just got lost in the ship customization.

Eldritch

Scholar
GlobalExplorer said:
I also never played MoM so can I see this just as a new game.

Hey, GlobalExplorer. This link includes an excellent XP-compatible DOSBox package of Master of Magic and Daggerfall with links to both a small torrent and more preferably a MegaUpload download.

http://talon.punt.nl/

Make sure you have DOSBox 0.72 and prepare to get your face rocked by one of the best games ever made in the known universe... And play AoW:Shadow Magic with the mods on multiplayer after experiencing the MoM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom