Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's new game "Elemental: War of Magic"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
MoM is the prettiest game in history of mankind, and this is a fact.

Zeus

Cipher
Jasede said:
MoM is the prettiest game in history of mankind, and this is a fact.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

catfood

AGAIN
Solohk said:
catfood said:
Unfortunately it's being made by Stardock.
As someone who is a fan of Stardock, I'm curious why you say that.

I was very underwhelmed by the demos of GalCiv 2 and Sins, they completely failed to grab my interest. I really really really tried to like them but I just couldn't get into them. Compare that to MOO 2 which grabbed me instantly even though I played it like 10 years after its release.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The overland map looks like sword of the samurai.

Ok, i'll buy it.

catfood said:
Solohk said:
catfood said:
Unfortunately it's being made by Stardock.
As someone who is a fan of Stardock, I'm curious why you say that.

I was very underwhelmed by the demos of GalCiv 2 and Sins, they completely failed to grab my interest. I really really really tried to like them but I just couldn't get into them. Compare that to MOO 2 which grabbed me instantly even though I played it like 10 years after its release.

Out of curiosity, did you play the vanilla version of GalCiv 2 or with both expansion paks? The expansions really flesh out the game. I wasn't a huge fan of vanilla, but once I got the 'full' version I truly enjoyed it. Now if they'd only grow a set and include tactical combat I'd be one happy sob.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Takeda Kenshi said:
Out of curiosity, did you play the vanilla version of GalCiv 2 or with both expansion paks? The expansions really flesh out the game.

No they don't. The main problem of Stardock's games is a lack of soul. Brad & Co just think that if they will copy from the best in the genre it will make their games good. It never did.
Even writing in those random GalCiv2 events lacks something. In Civilization and its spinoff AC nations had their own character and agenda, even in MOO2 there was some of that - in GalCivs those feel like token filler AIs.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There's another problem with the Galciv games. I have GalCiv 2 with both expansions, because Stardock offered me a great deal for them by e-mail (I'm not sure why). I really enjoyed playing it for some time. But in such games, after a while, if you want to play them "seriously", you need to be able to get all information on the mechanics. And that's where the problem starts: it's so convoluted that I simply couldn't pass from the "hey, it's a pretty game which I can easily win on easy just by using some common sense" stage to the "all right, I'll now plan all my moves carefully and try something more difficult" stage. The most important reason is: the way the military/social/research sliders work is (for me) very, very strange and unintuitive.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
What was strange and unintuitive about them? The way something received more funding when you slid it to the right? Or how the other areas received less funding when you did so?

I have no love for GalCiv2, but this seems to be more of a user problem.

Elwro

Arcane
If you dig around, you'll find out that somehow the best strategies involve setting the sliders so that the second digit is "9". If the system was so simple as you paint it to be, people wouldn't be talking about such things. What you say ("something receives more funding when you slid it to the right") works on easy difficulties but not when you want to be able to calculate things exactly.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I'm looking forward to Elemental, though there are some things that seem questionable. Regardless, it's good that there's an emphasis on modability, just in case the game is lacking modders can still have a run with the games toolset. Maybe even lucky enough to get Fall From Heaven type quality. We shall see.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
For everyone's information, the phase one of beta testing has already started a while ago, just tick the 'show prerelease versions' option in Impulse in order to get access to it. Cloth map only at this point.
Give this a read first before downloading (download it you will, right?), then post bug reports plus suggestions here.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
image_thumb.png

Heh

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
VonVentrue said:
For everyone's information, the phase one of beta testing has already started a while ago, just tick the 'show prerelease versions' option in Impulse in order to get access to it. Cloth map only at this point.
Give this a read first before downloading (download it you will, right?), then post bug reports plus suggestions here.

The graphics engine in Elemental will not be enabled until January. Why? Because if the game is good it should be able to be fun without super good graphics.

That... makes sense.

obediah

Erudite
Elwro said:
There's another problem with the Galciv games. I have GalCiv 2 with both expansions, because Stardock offered me a great deal for them by e-mail (I'm not sure why). I really enjoyed playing it for some time. But in such games, after a while, if you want to play them "seriously", you need to be able to get all information on the mechanics. And that's where the problem starts: it's so convoluted that I simply couldn't pass from the "hey, it's a pretty game which I can easily win on easy just by using some common sense" stage to the "all right, I'll now plan all my moves carefully and try something more difficult" stage. The most important reason is: the way the military/social/research sliders work is (for me) very, very strange and unintuitive.

I lost interest in GalCiv 2 pretty fast, but slider-fu was definitely my problem with GalCiv. I was doing ok on easy, but getting spanked on normal. I went to the forums and found out I was an idiot, because I didn't realize a game consisted of 3 or so phases, each with clearly superior slider settings. So I did that and it was like immediately turning the difficulty down by 3 settings. I don't like that kind of design at all.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Galciv 2 AI sucks and cheats. It can't think tactically, only economically. Use quick strike tactics, and build a shitload of economic starbases and you can win on suicidal. It's a very boring game with a bad interface, too much micromanagement, and very simplistic ship design and combat.

ever

Scholar
I agree.

After an initial good impression with Galactic Civs 2, I decided it was not all that great. The game ought to take itself seriously a bit more. However the game did give me one of the most satisfying victories ever with those dragon people. I had two worlds but teched my diplomacy and war profiteering and made sure everyone was always at war with everyone, except me and convinced each weakened civ to surrender to me.

So far, the most enjoyable 4x space game for me has been Master of Orion original due to its subtle mechanics. I have fond thoughts of Master of Orion 2 as well, which I found to be more engaging than the first iteration.

I find the graphics in this new game by stardock jarring.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jeff Graw said:
Galciv 2 AI sucks and cheats. It can't think tactically, only economically. Use quick strike tactics, and build a shitload of economic starbases and you can win on suicidal. It's a very boring game with a bad interface, too much micromanagement, and very simplistic ship design and combat.

spacemoose said:
stardock games have no soul

1eyedking said:
Zeus said:
Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.
This is true. MoM has a very alluring isometric charm about it.

Also, GalCiv2 sucks.

All of this.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think sometimes you guys are too much concerned with your classics. I am looking forward to Elemental, it promises to be at least a decent new game, of which there aren't that many these days, you know.

1eyedking said:
Also, GalCiv2 sucks.

Didn't suck for me. It was the only positive surprise in a rather dissappointing gaming year (2006). The campaigns are absorbing, the AI is good, the game requires and rewards strategic moves. I played MOO2, which was great, but I don't know why some people can't enjoy GalCiv2 too, especially since it's the only recent offering in the genre.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are many other (mediocre) offerings in the genre. Lost Empire: Immortals, Space Empires V and Sword of the Stars. SE5 and SotS were better games than GalCiv2 for me. Dunno why, I just didn't enjoy GalCiv much. Maybe because it feels too much like Civ4 in Space to me, but with a lot less to do. It was fun for one or two games, but it doesn't have any lasting appeal to me.

Elemental looks better, from what I've seen, though, and I will give it a chance. I'm craving for a good 4x game so I'll take anything I can get.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
dont like elementals art style at all, fortunately there s FFH2 and Orbis so my search for a worthy MoM-like fantasy 4x with remotely decent graphics and better AI (well, FFH2 is still far from a good AI too though ... but its getting there slowly ) is over since a while.

i might give it a chance but i think 90% of the fun will boil down to customizing your units with the actual game being rather meh, see Galciv II (which i used to think a lot better off until i realized the only real fun i had with that came from the spaceship editor )

so while my desire for a MoM-like game is satisfied by FFH2 ..... i d kill for a proper SMAC and/or MoO replacement ;)

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ricolikesrice said:
(well, FFH2 is still far from a good AI too though ... but its getting there slowly )

The AI is getting some major work done in the next patch.

dragonfk

Erudite
Whatever negative comments people(me included) say about their games you just gotta love their attitude towards players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom