Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's new game "Elemental: War of Magic"

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
SCO said:
The overland map looks like sword of the samurai.

Ok, i'll buy it.

This makes me want to play that game again. Microprose was teh awesome.

Rhalle

Magister
Can we start a petition that stops game developers from using the word "War" in their game titles?

I mean:

World of Warcraft
Order of War
God of War
Empire: Total War
Napoleon: Total War
Medieval 2: Total War
Rome: Total War
Call of Duty: World at War
Star Wars
Gears of War
Guild Wars
Halo Wars
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Dark Reign: The Future of War
Starcraft: Brood War
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Age of Empires 3: The War Chiefs
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Tom Clancy's Endwar
The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Ace Combat: The Unsung War
Red War: Edem's Curse
Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars
Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Theatre of War
Cossacks 2: Napoleonic Wars
Act of War: Direct Action
Mount and Blade: Warband

And the piece de resistance: Empire: Total War: Warpath

2 "Wars" and needs not one, but 2 Colons...Holy Fuck that is EXTREME

Those are from the first 22 pages of 160 pages of hits for "War" at Gamespot.

Similarly, "Rise" "Reign" "Battle" "Sword" "Call" and "Throne" should also be stricken from the videogame-titling lexicon, ffs.

Texas Red

Whiner
Rhalle is correct, gentlemen! You can use a name to stand out and draw attention to the game, or you can make absolutely no use of it, like with this title.

I remember myself clicking through Sins of a Solar Empire, looking for information. When I went to Gamespot forums, there was a thread specifically about how they were drawn to it just because of the name. "Sins of a Solar Empire" immediatelly evokes thoughts and wonder about the said sins the the empire that caused them.

Actually, I think I read somewhere that they specifically chose this name because it was so generic sounding.

Chadeo

Liturgist
Don't look now but Stardock reads the codex =)

http://forums.elementalgame.com/368295

Frogboy said:
I don’t just read the feedback on Elemental in our forums. I read the feedback on lots of other forums. So I lurk on sites like RPG.net, Octopus Overlords, PCCohort, Qt3, CnardPC, WArgamers.com, rpgcodex.net, tacticularcancer, colonyofgamers, bay12games.com, Shrapnel Games, penny-arcade forums, etc.

I think the level of feedback the Stardock guys give is great and a huge part of their success. Not being dicks and treating your customers with respect rather than criminals also helps. If only we could get a developer of their quality to do RPGs.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The research system looks interesting:

Some technologies will require a pre-requisite. You can’t simply (by luck) get access to say plate metal armor. You would have to research warfare, then defenses, then armor and then after that you would have a chance to get plate metal armor. The more points you have in a particular category, the greater the odds that one of those techs will pop up.

So let’s walk through this:

I choose warfare: level 1 and I see:

* Barracks (green)
* Weapons (green)
* Defenses (green)
* City Walls (yellow)
* Archery (yellow)

Warfare level 1 costs 10 technology points (which at this stage means 10 turns).

I know I want to get to plate mail so I pick Defenses.

10 turns pass…

The breakthru window pops up and I choose Defenses. City Walls also showed up but Archery didn’t.

The research window comes up again and I see this:

Warfare: level 2

* Barracks (green)
* Weapons (green)
* Armor (green)
* City Walls (yellow)
* Archery (yellow)
* Fortify Position (red)

Warfare Level 2 costs 20 tech points (which at this point in the game is taking 14 turns).

14 turns pass…

The breakthru window pops up and I get to choose between Barracks, Weapons, Armor, and Fortify Position. Now, because it was red, it means I got pretty lucky that it is an option and next time, it may not show up as an option. Do I pick that now or do I go with Armor? I choose Armor anyway.

Now I see this:

* Barracks (green)
* Weapons (green)
* Leather Armor (green)
* Plate Armor (yellow)
* City Walls (green)
* Archery (green)
* Fortify Position (red)

As you can see, City Walls and Archery have become green which means they will always be choices because enough points have been put into Warfare that they’ve gone from being maybes to certainties.

Warfare level 3 costs 40 points (which at this point will take 20 turns to get).

The other thing about this system is that we can have a giant pool of minor but interesting techs that normally don’t show up in a game but when we go through the new game generation, we will randomly give them a slight chance to come up during a game. So, for instance, you might get a tech called “Forest Defenses” where if you have it, it will give your units extra defensive bonuses in a forest. All players would have access to such a tech (i.e. it’s not per player though we might make some race-based).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Chadeo said:
I think the level of feedback the Stardock guys give is great and a huge part of their success.

I think the deciding reason for it is what the other companies have turned into.

Solohk

Scholar
Chadeo said:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/368295

Frogboy said:
I don’t just read the feedback on Elemental in our forums. I read the feedback on lots of other forums. So I lurk on sites like RPG.net, Octopus Overlords, PCCohort, Qt3, CnardPC, WArgamers.com, rpgcodex.net, tacticularcancer, colonyofgamers, bay12games.com, Shrapnel Games, penny-arcade forums, etc.

I think the level of feedback the Stardock guys give is great and a huge part of their success. Not being dicks and treating your customers with respect rather than criminals also helps. If only we could get a developer of their quality to do RPGs.

I know I've read an interview of Brad Wardell where he mentions interest in creating an RPG along the lines of Baldur's Gate. I can't find the interview I'm thinking of, but this will do:

What game would you make if you had limitless time?

Wardell: We'd be doing an RPG right now. A Baldur's Gate style RPG or an Ultima V style RPG. I'm not talking about Oblivion, but a traditional, top-down party sort of game. Because I don't see them - Neverwinter Nights has that, but there hasn't been that many. I don't understand it, because I think there's still a market.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much it'll cost you to make the game and how many do you think you can realistically sell.

If you made a Baldur's Gate with good graphics and story, that's well produced.... well, I don't think it'll be very hard to sell 200-300,000 units worldwide. If a turn-based strategy game could do that, certainly a well produced RPG could.

How much money that translates to? Six to eight million dollars. And it just becomes a matter of "Can I produce a game with that?" And unfortunately, a lot of studios can't any more.

Frogboy

Stardock
Developer

Not just read. :)

The RPG-elements of Elemental will become more obvious once we get into the full-engine beta (this Spring).

dragonfk

Erudite
Are you participating in the beta Frogboy? If so can you describe what are your opinions on the game as of now? Or are you a Stardock employee and from PR department? :cool:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
dragonfk said:
Are you participating in the beta Frogboy? If so can you describe what are your opinions on the game as of now? Or are you a Stardock employee and from PR department? :cool:

That's Brad Wardell, the founder, current President, and CEO of Stardock.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yep Frogboy = Brad Wardell

I've been frequenting the journal updates on the Elemental site. It's nice to see the details of the development, and the game looks to be going the right direction overall. I'm especially curious to see how the tactical battles are implemented.

Monocause

Arcane
Don't mark him as a developer, for Christ's sake. Sooner or later he'd leave like the other devs did - just wait until the more frustrated codexers would catch his scent.

I've always considered it strange how certain members here consider it p. cool to bash developers instead of being nice to them.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Monocause said:
Sooner or later he'd leave like the other devs did - just wait until the more frustrated codexers would catch his scent.

He was visiting Usenet (which is something like codex with a small difference of lacking a moderator), so he is probably used to stuff.

Frogboy

Stardock
Developer
I get flamed on my own forums. Heck, I get flamed in abstentia here. :)

But like Raghar, I started out on Usenet.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dear Frogboy,

Make everyone who will be working with the quest system play King of Dragon Pass for them minimum of two weeks.

And should you discover anyone in the development team who does not like it...

...off with their heads!

Thank you!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Monocause said:
Don't mark him as a developer, for Christ's sake. Sooner or later he'd leave like the other devs did - just wait until the more frustrated codexers would catch his scent.

Unfortunately, so horribly true. David Gaider left for this very reason.

Twinkle said:
Stardock gets my respect and money thanks to the stuff like that http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/ar...lopers_mainstreaming_themselves_into_oblivion. Basic concept that lots of devs fail to grasp.

Also, nice oblivion reference. :D

A true patriot you are, Mr. Wardell.
:Salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom