Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

ind33d

Learned
apparently mission boards are unique to the system you're in, so if you build a settlement in deep space you can farm credits since boards will send you to nearby planets.

cruising high-level space in your custom Star Destroyer is fun, it's just obvious there was supposed to be an in-game radio. did beth make StarfieldRadio.com and it's just not in the game for censorship or legal reasons? SF is so generic they could have licensed literally any soundtrack and bumped up the game's ratings by a full point. shit they could have L. Ron Hubbard reading bedtime stories and it would still be preferable to awkward silence

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Curious: are modders still saying this is unmoddable?

(A couple of months ago I was reading despairing comments from modders that while you could certainly mod piddling things in, like items and quests, any more serious overhauling, as has been done with Bethesda's other games, is out of the question due to a clash between the way the game realizes local space in relation to universal space, or something like that, a function of the game still being built on the same Gamebryo core, which works with fantasy worlds of the size of their previous games, but isn't really a suitable foundation for something that's supposed to be coping with much bigger virtual spaces.)

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Curious: are modders still saying this is unmoddable?

(A couple of months ago I was reading despairing comments from modders that while you could certainly mod piddling things in, like items and quests, any more serious overhauling, as has been done with Bethesda's other games, is out of the question due to a clash between the way the game realizes local space in relation to universal space, or something like that, a function of the game still being built on the same Gamebryo core, which works with fantasy worlds of the size of their previous games, but isn't really a suitable foundation for something that's supposed to be coping with much bigger virtual spaces.)
I have not heard that, do you remember where you've read it? the modding scene is healthy from what I can tell, but I was never big into modding games, with starfield tho it's kind of necessary.

jackofshadows

Magister
Kinda funny that the map makes even more obvious the fact Atlantis is just a small ass district in the middle of nowhere instead of being something great, imposing.

Vic

Savant
yeah but, it's still bigger than any city in their previous games, except for maybe vivec or imperial city? can't remember. It's just that the map is so huge. Those are not shrubs on the map but giant ass trees.

PlayerEmers

Educated
if bethesda devs were smart, they would add multiple coomer baits like Serana on the new DLC to pump user scores up

they cant fix the gameplay and story, might as well appeal to bottom tier users that leave positive reviews to everything that pleases their dick

ind33d

Learned
ind33d is still playing it
I have six days clocked. Starfield as a concept is one of if not the best idea for a video game. The game isn't "fun" because it's not supposed to be fun: it's a simulation. The problem right now is that while all the ship stuff and gunplay is good, everything else is unfinished. Could modders fix it? Yeah. Will they? I don't know.

Vatnik Wumao
What kills it for me is the NG+ bullshit. Perhaps I'm too OCDish to just ignore it, but yeah. Feel like I shouldn't invest in other aspects of the game until I go through with it to get all the associated stuff. Might do that later in anticipation for the expansion tho.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's been said before but one cool thing about this game is that you really can feel the DNA of games like Starflight in it. It actually does feel in some areas and some design choices like a game from 1987.

I'm playing a game called Planet's Edge from 1992 right now and, along with games like Starflight and Star Control and (sort of) Space 1889, you really can see that the designers of Starfield played these games and took inspiration from them. Flying around a vast galaxy on your own terms, landing on any planet and switching to a different gameplay mode to explore, gathering resources and looking around mostly-empty terrain, adjusting the specifics of your ship and choosing a crew and trading.

The problem is that this was really cool 30 - 35 years ago, but it's profoundly boring in 2023, and also a stupid thing to make into the core of a game that people were not unreasonably expecting to be a bit like Skyrim. I think it's an interesting study in how, as much as people might constantly opine that games were better decades ago, nobody really wants a return to the exact same design philosophies that were popular in those days (though you could argue of course that Starflight/Star Control/etc are better games than Starfield on their own terms).

Vatnik Wumao
landing on any planet and switching to a different gameplay mode to explore, gathering resources and looking around mostly-empty terrain.
Issue is that there is nowhere near enough diversity (& complexity) in the procedurally generated content. They did a somewhat ok job (for release anyway) with the diversity of the fauna to give each planet some extra character beyond just biomes, but the types of points of interest are way too few. The fact that going forward with expansions they intend to focus on fewer locations and have more handcrafted content for them is a good thing, but they should also add extra stuff for the procedurally generated content outside of those few planets that get the special treatment. Leaving it to modders is somewhat of a gamble for Bethesda at this point imho.

Vic

Savant
yeah it's no skyrim, I'm actually getting a bit excited to play looking at the mods and checking the NO SODIUM starfield reddit (jk). What I want to do this time is more outpost building and set up huge production chains, install ship mods and build a badass ship and also, hopefully, mod in a twilek waifu.

I've seen mods that improve the NG+ making the grind a bit more rewarding, and a mod that changes enemy scaling so that they level past 100, and of course better loot mods. All these combined can turn starfield into a pretty satisfying grinder imo

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Planet's Edge! One of my favorite games as a kid and have a soft spot for it for sure. Been back a couple times to play it again.

Maybe Starfield is worth a look after all...I havent been amazed with Bethesda in the past but everyone else loves them, then the majority panned Starfield but I have a theory that games I like are inversed to what most people like...Now Im wondering if I might like it after all.

Vic

Savant
some good advice is to watch what everybody else is doing and do the opposite, the masses are retarded

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom