Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This stuff is cool, but Morrowind is still one of the most immersive games ever, and all the NPCs just stand around the same spot 24/7. The focus on full day schedules and stuff almost comes across as anal to a degree. I agree with what Trash said last page, that The Witcher felt more real and interactive when people ran for cover in the rain, or kids followed you around the streets, than the focus on a schedule does in games like Oblivion.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The scheduling shit never made any sense to me. As a sop to realism, it is fairly shallow. Okay, people go into their houses at night FOR THE REALISM but for some reason I can walk into that same house at 2 am, wake them the fuck up, turn in a quest or sell them a stack of dremora hearts and a fucking sword, and it is no big deal? Nobody is ever like "Hey, get the fuck out of my house!" or anything like that.

It's like they know they cannot follow to a reasonable conclusion the logic of their own system. I personally think it would be cool for NPCs to not talk to you at night, or try to murder you for breaking and entering like we do here in the USA. But I have a feeling that Todd et. al. decided that was a bridge too far and making players come back to a house or shop at 8 am would just be too inconvenient.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The scheduling shit never made any sense to me. As a sop to realism, it is fairly shallow. Okay, people go into their houses at night FOR THE REALISM but for some reason I can walk into that same house at 2 am, wake them the fuck up, turn in a quest or sell them a stack of dremora hearts and a fucking sword, and it is no big deal? Nobody is ever like "Hey, get the fuck out of my house!" or anything like that.

It's like they know they cannot follow to a reasonable conclusion the logic of their own system. I personally think it would be cool for NPCs to not talk to you at night, or try to murder you for breaking and entering like we do here in the USA. But I have a feeling that Todd et. al. decided that was a bridge too far and making players come back to a house or shop at 8 am would just be too inconvenient.
I'm pretty sure most NPC's in Oblivion and Skyrim lock their doors at night, and if you pick the locks and wake them up, they'll go "Get out or I'll call the guards!".

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
They do that in Skyrim, if they also do that in Oblivion I owe Todd an apology. But I'm pretty sure you can do things like wake a person up to turn in a fucking quest.

But I'm pretty sure you can do things like wake a person up to turn in a fucking quest.
Thats good?
Hurray, you saved my wife from vampires. But fuck off now I need to sleep. She can go with you until im awake.
Honestly I dont think they went far enough, For example with merchants, where they only operate at certain hours. Would you REALLY pass on buying shit like dragon bone from that moron who is willing to sell it for like 1/100 of their real market value just because you should have closed the shop 10 minutes ago?

JDR13

Arcane
I'm pretty sure most NPC's in Oblivion and Skyrim lock their doors at night, and if you pick the locks and wake them up, they'll go "Get out or I'll call the guards!".

The AI is very inconsistent though or at least it was the last time I played either of those games. Sometimes you could pick a lock or open a chest with no one around and yet the city guards would magically know you did it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly I dont think they went far enough, For example with merchants, where they only operate at certain hours. Would you REALLY pass on buying shit like dragon bone from that moron who is willing to sell it for like 1/100 of their real market value just because you should have closed the shop 10 minutes ago?
You're suggesting that simulationist AI would be a good thing if only developers managed to perfectly capture all the nuances of realistic interaction 1:1. Just saying this is not a highly controversial or illuminating viewpoint.

Codex Year of the Donut
Just doing x at y time isn't very interesting, it's interesting when they do things because it's part of their character.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Quill-Weave
On the 7th of each month, she will get out of bed at 6am and start her long journey towards Chorrol to visit her good friend and colleague, Casta Scribonia. She will take the Gold Road all the way to the Imperial City, then head north on the Red Ring Road and then turn left on the Black Road towards Chorrol. After 36 hours of traveling, she will arrive there at 12pm on the next day. Once there, she will actively seek out Casta and follow her around to her various destinations, which include both the Chorrol chapter of the Mages Guild and The Oak and Crosier. Her departure time varies (see notes), but if she chooses to stay in Chorrol, she will sleep in Casta's bed between midnight and 8am. While on her trip and during her time in Chorrol, she will offer training 24 hours a day. Note, that if Casta Scribonia is dead, Quill-Weave will cancel the Chorrol trip altogether, returning to her normal schedule at 7am.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This stuff is cool, but Morrowind is still one of the most immersive games ever, and all the NPCs just stand around the same spot 24/7. The focus on full day schedules and stuff almost comes across as anal to a degree. I agree with what Trash said last page, that The Witcher felt more real and interactive when people ran for cover in the rain, or kids followed you around the streets, than the focus on a schedule does in games like Oblivion.

FWIW in Morrowind there is a tiny bit of environmental reactivity: NPCs (and you) will try to cover their eyes during ash/blight storms. A small thing but i always liked that detail.

Codex Year of the Donut

FWIW in Morrowind there is a tiny bit of environmental reactivity: NPCs (and you) will try to cover their eyes during ash/blight storms. A small thing but i always liked that detail.
Reminds me of NPCs in Witcher 1 running to cover when it starts raining.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The Witcher felt more real and interactive when people ran for cover in the rain
Reminds me of NPCs in Witcher 1 running to cover when it starts raining.
we've come full circle
guess I should read the quoted post before replying

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/BethesdaSo...eally_not_sure_what_to_title_this_but_i_have/
Hey guys. To start, I’m not going to say where exactly I work or who I might know, because I like job security and leaking information is the first huge step to losing that job security. Suffice it to say I’m close with Bethesda Game Studios and I understand what it’s like to itch for news on a favorite game, and I’m on this and related subs a lot under a different account, so I see how badly you guys want info. I actually have really mixed feelings on having those trailers shown at 2018’s E3 because now everyone is dying for info. I find it easier to be patient when the dev hasn’t even said anything, but having a taste of what’s to come is just plain painful in my opinion. With that said, I don’t want to spoil too much for you guys because discovering new things is part of the magic of Bethesda games, and slowly watching you guys find secrets or react to quests and such is really fun. With that said, here we go.

STARFIELD:

This one, I REALLY don’t want to spoil too much because man oh man Todd, Ashley, Emil, and even Pete are bursting with excitement about. This is largely Todd’s baby as hes the one that really started bringing it up and shooting the idea out there. Everyone slowly fell in love with it and Emil was excited to explore something completely new for the first time. I won’t say much about it because frankly, you’ll see plenty of it soon ;) But! I will say this...
  • Multiple alien species you get to meet and interact with.
  • The quests are incredibly interesting and subvert your expectations in unique and interesting ways. Few of them are “go to X, kill Y, bring back Z” and even fewer of them are exactly what they are supposed to be initially. Most times you’ll run into complications from r you’ll gain new knowledge on the matter and be presented with a choice.
  • RPG mechanics that make you feel like your build matters. Admittedly, this is something Bethesda as a whole hasn’t done terribly well, except for maybe Fallout 3. But this game rewards you for being who you want to be, and I’m confident in saying that.
  • All in all, your playtime per playthrough will probably be somewhere between 70-120 hours, give or take. That’s assuming you properly learn about every faction, do most if not all the major side quests, complete the main quests, recruit almost all the companions (obviously some are faction-locked) and explore the majority of the “map.”
That’s all I’m willing to say in Starfield. Be looking around the Bethesda twitter accounts/Instagrams/Facebook pages/these subs because you guys will be enjoying a nice teaser right before E3 ;)
incline.png
incline.png
incline.png

deuxhero

Arcane
The only part I'd believe is the claim of NPCs having simulated incomes and needs. I could totally see Todd Howard claiming it would have that, even though the final version wouldn't.

ADL

Prophet
Just because you added an income field in the NPC editor doesn't mean it's a totally simulated, living breathing economy Todd.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The only part I'd believe is the claim of NPCs having simulated incomes and needs. I could totally see Todd Howard claiming it would have that, even though the final version wouldn't.

That's really easy to implement though.
<<if $genderstudiesmajor == 1>>
<<set $income to 0>>
<</if>>

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Everyone slowly fell in love with it and Emil was excited to explore something completely new for the first time.

Even if this ever comes out, everyone knows it'll basically be Fallout in space. It's not like this is a mind-blowing concept.

Man, that sounds awesome.

Oh wait...

Everyone slowly fell in love with it and Emil was excited to explore something completely new for the first time.

Even if this ever comes out, everyone knows it'll basically be Fallout 3 in space. It's not like this is a mind-blowing concept.

:negative:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On a more serious note, there is zero possibility this will *not* come out. Unlike other studios, Bethesda actually does have effectively unlimited productive resources and the stakes for their reputation as the leading market force in RPGs is far, far too high to acknowledge that a space opera RPG is so far beyond their creative capabilities that they can't make one.

It's just taking forever because again, due to aforementioned stakes, they are trying to make sure they get it right.

Whether or not they still have the ability to do that or if the market is still suited to their style, I have serous doubts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom