Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What are you even talking about? Have you even played Morrowind?!?
Out: Porky the Popamoler plays games in the fashion of a demented gopher, complains on the Codex about the supposed failings of the games, becomes butthurt when Codexers point out his errors, rages impotently in response
In: Porky the Popamoler pretends to play games in the fashion of a demented gopher, complains on the Codex about the supposed failings of the games, becomes butthurt when Codexers point out his errors, rages impotently in response

ql3q60.png

The endless cycle of eternal butthurt from Porky.

FriendlyMerchant

Out: Porky the Popamoler plays games in the fashion of a demented gopher, complains on the Codex about the supposed failings of the games, becomes butthurt when Codexers point out his errors, rages impotently in response
In: Porky the Popamoler pretends to play games in the fashion of a demented gopher, complains on the Codex about the supposed failings of the games, becomes butthurt when Codexers point out his errors, rages impotently in response

ql3q60.png

That doesn't sound very kosher.

ql3q60.png

... says the little man who just moved the argument from actual points about his shitty beloved game to attempted ad hominem attacks. Also the little man who spends his codex time to shit rate my posts, lol. :) Yeah..., I am the butthurt one. Oh Doink...

notpl

Arbiter
Morrowind had day/night cycles for NPCs. Nothing terribly exciting, and no animations to make it stick, but they were there. I don't care about whatever else is being discussed but this point is apparently causing confusion for people.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
We have real Galaxy of opportunities to explore
Yeah, I know what you are saying.
Giants like Fallout(the Interplay games) and Arcanum were made by people who truly wanted to create something awesome and had the creative drive and vision to make it happen. The steampunk setting of Arcanum alone is a result of that creativity.
Now we have midget Todd unleashing pronouns on us nerds.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
PorkyThePaladin Simping hard for Glitcher 3 and Geraldo Del Rivero.
C'mon brah, you can do better. A great rpg is defined by more than just day/night cycles and whether or not npc's have thousands of lines of dialogue.
Then again, since when is Witcher an RPG? It's an overglorified action fantasy hack&slash with some rudimentary rpg elements thrown in.

zapotec

Liturgist
:lol:
Called it

No idiot
When people talk about day and night cycles, they do literally mean the process of the sun going up and down
What you described are NPC schedules, an entirely different gameplay system

Yeah, I guess when someone has double digit IQ like you, everything has to be pointed out to them word by word. Why would anyone care about the literal day/night cycle in an RPG past mid 90s? Every single one has them. It's like talking about a graphical UI or sound effects. But keep grasping at semantics, Morrowind is still shit. ;)
Saying that every RPG past the mid 90s has a NPC scheduling it's a maliciuous statement that makes you less of a man becase you are lying and you know it.

Here a small list:
Fallout I-II: No npcs scheduling
Bg I and II does not have it (Well, Beregost's blacksmith was empty at night)
Wizardry 8
Wizard and warriors
The Exile series
The NWN series
Wasteland 2-3
Planescape

You lack the reading comprehension to even read what I wrote in the post you are quoting. "Why would anyone care about the literal day/night cycle in an RPG past mid 90s? Every single one has them." I was talking about day/night cycles here.

You disgusting bastard just you would spit on your ancestor just to be right

Codex Year of the Donut
Basic NPC scheduling should be considered the bare minimum in The Year of Our Lord, 2023. Now it's rare to even get it at all because they're so obsessed with telling you a bad story.
Hate on Bethesda all you want, at least they're one of the few devs that bother to care at all about making the characters in their world feel like they actually live there.

ATOM RPG & Trudograd is one of the better recent games for this, btw. Loved going through the populated areas and seeing people going about their day, talking with each other, etc.,

In terms of things that stick with me after playing a game, characters that act believable is definitely up there. I still remember in Witcher 1 that characters would seek cover when it was raining.

Codex Year of the Donut
Basic NPC scheduling should be considered the bare minimum in The Year of Our Lord, 2023.
Totally agree. By the way, Swen said to tell you that you're fired.
BG3 has NPC scheduling, and taking too long or resting too much fucks up a bunch of things.

Like how there's a goblin assassin in the druid camp who will start killing off people if you don't find and kill him the very first time you get there.

PorkyThePaladin Simping hard for Glitcher 3 and Geraldo Del Rivero.
C'mon brah, you can do better. A great rpg is defined by more than just day/night cycles and whether or not npc's have thousands of lines of dialogue.
Then again, since when is Witcher an RPG? It's an overglorified action fantasy hack&slash with some rudimentary rpg elements thrown in.

A great RPG can be defined by many different things. Only retards use one single template/guideline. Fallout 1 is great in its own way, Witcher 3 is great in a different way, BotW is great in a yet a different way, as is PST, Deus Ex, Gothic, etc. The problem in this particular discussion is that a typical Bethesda game (including Morronwind) is not great at anything.

What are you trying to say here, that you are a monkey?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Morronwind) is not great at anything
I know you're too pig-headed to ponder the following arguments and reconsider your own, but here's them anyway...

Morrowind's positive qualities :
+ excellent lore
+ great world design
+ great atmosphere
+ great artstyle
+ great music
+ very good sense of adventure
+ very good main quest
+ good character writing
+ good character leveling system

porky.gif

Morronwind) is not great at anything
I know you're too pig-headed to ponder the following arguments and reconsider your own, but here's them anyway...

Morrowind's positive qualities :
+ excellent lore

Positive yes, but not great like say PS:T or Witcha games.

+ great world design

Hell no. Dead world, mostly empty streets in large cities, settlements built unrealistically compared to better games, boring wilderness, too much PoI copy-pasting, no NPC scheduling as already discussed, etc. It was really not a very interesting world at all.

+ great atmosphere

The dead world feeling above kills the atmosphere to a large degree. As do no voice-overs and wiki-style dialogues. It feels more like perusing a boring encyclopedia rather than being immersed into a living, breathing world.

+ great artstyle

This is more subjective, but personally, I am not a huge fan of mushroom trees, blatant Romans rip-off Empire, and so on.

+ great music
+ very good sense of adventure

Terrible combat, copy-paste PoIs, ugly graphics and boring dialogue killed the sense of adventure for me. But perhaps it was different for you.

+ very good main quest

It's alright, definitely one of the better things in Morronwind.

+ good character writing

Meh, most NPCs are wikis. The few important ones with actual personal dialogue are ok, but nothing special compared to the better games in the genre.

+ good character leveling system

Join every guild, get unbalanced spells to cheese the game, walk everywhere to level up walking... Not what I would call great.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hell no. Dead world, mostly empty streets in large cities, settlements built unrealistically compared to better games, boring wilderness, too much PoI copy-pasting, no NPC scheduling as already discussed, etc. It was really not a very interesting world at all.
Yeah, nothing like the vibrant typical medieval fantasy world of Witcha, right?
It's not like Morrowind has swamps, ash storms, grasslands, a fucking volcano(Red Mountain), isles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom