Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
I still have never bought Skyrim.
repeat that again
Eq_5vQ8XEAUTU8U.jpg:large

Duraframe300

Arcane
I still have never bought Skyrim.

Or GTA V.
You mean like, this year?
Never.

I remember playing a bit when it came out in 2011, but IIRC that was a pirated version. Then I probably had the game when I was subscribed to GamePass, but I never downloaded it.

Otherwise nah.

There's no particular reason either (other than me disliking Bethesda), just was never cheap enough for me to give it a go.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Why every bethesda thread devolves into skyrim bashing? Sadly there's no better alternatives than bethesda when it comes to modability and freehand exploration. It is a turd but its a workable turd that you can appreciate from time to time when you fancy particular kind of turd.
Starfield just as F4 won't be fairing better than skyrim, because somehow guns and sci-fi is less popular than high fantasy stuff like skyrim. To be honest, they should ditch fallout franchise, as they already milked whats worth from it, focus on new projects, and revisit fallout when new graphic/physics breakthrough in pc happens, to yet again remade the classic story in better environment. IMHO Starfield is a move in good direction, but that should not slow down their work on TES games. TES games were and are a golden goose, and there are still TES lands the franchise didnt explore.

Nelka

Educated
Why every bethesda thread devolves into skyrim bashing? Sadly there's no better alternatives than bethesda when it comes to modability and freehand exploration. It is a turd but its a workable turd that you can appreciate from time to time when you fancy particular kind of turd.
Starfield just as F4 won't be fairing better than skyrim, because somehow guns and sci-fi is less popular than high fantasy stuff like skyrim. To be honest, they should ditch fallout franchise, as they already milked whats worth from it, focus on new projects, and revisit fallout when new graphic/physics breakthrough in pc happens, to yet again remade the classic story in better environment. IMHO Starfield is a move in good direction, but that should not slow down their work on TES games. TES games were and are a golden goose, and there are still TES lands the franchise didnt explore.
They won't drop Fallout because this franchise is still very profitable, and they are ready to release even shit games like F76 to make that profit.
And you will see I'm right. We'll probably find some Easter Eggs in Starfield, that suggest it's the same (Fallout) universe.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
They won't drop Fallout because this franchise is still very profitable, and they are ready to release even shit games like F76 to make that profit.
And you will see I'm right. We'll probably find some Easter Eggs in Starfield, that suggest it's the same (Fallout) universe.

Not telling them to drop it completely, im telling they should drop it for now, give a break like 5 years, revisit it later when there are graphical and physical breakthroughs which could warrant an upgrade over existing immersion vs let say Fallout 4. Ray tracing and completely reworked anim system, meaning most likely ditching creation engine, with destructible environment could be a good excuse to restart franchise, like Fallout 1 and 2 remake.

Nelka

Educated

Not telling them to drop it completely, im telling they should drop it for now, give a break like 5 years, revisit it later when there are graphical and physical breakthroughs which could warrant an upgrade over existing immersion vs let say Fallout 4. Ray tracing and completely reworked anim system, meaning most likely ditching creation engine, with destructible environment could be a good excuse to restart franchise, like Fallout 1 and 2 remake.
Starfield is already built on new Creation Engine 2, but I don't feel like it will be something more than just your typical graphical upgrade, with Ray Tracing implemented I believe. They are aware that first of all this engine needs to be still be very moddable and stable so even excessive modding won't break it. Beth will probably stick to proven solutions, since modding scene is very important to them.
But, we will see, I don't want this game to flop.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Real time raytracing is not something client side hardware will be ever good at, also they are quite inept making server side stuff and that will be done from scratch anyway.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm sure they will make TES VI in 5 years after Starfield and then Fallout V in another 5... using the same engine. They won't write a new engine from scratch for sure. The best hope is that they'll move to UE5 and write an editor for it, but something grand has to happen for such changes.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm sure they will make TES VI in 5 years after Starfield and then Fallout V in another 5... using the same engine. They won't write a new engine from scratch for sure.
Good.

The best hope is that they'll move to UE5 and write an editor for it, but something grand has to happen for such changes.
No, the best hope is that they carry on with Gamebryo and just fix up some of the more egregiously antiquated subcomponents, like the AI pathfinding and the collision model.

On an unrelated note, it's mid-February already, where's the fucking game, Todd?! WHERE'S MY FUCKING FIELD OF STARS?! :argh:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I think people always gush about morrowind directions despite them sometimes being shit because they're more interested in the idea than the execution. If a game did what morrowind tried to do successfully it would be a great experience. I would also say that despite some really bad examples they mostly worked.

At the end of the day explore fags will be explore fags and will take anything that encourages that type of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom