Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
So is bethesda going to do mass effect

No. Several soy-dripping focus groups suggested that red, blue, green were too complicated for 2020 'general audiences.' It is recommended, considering the current political climate, to make a super-evil space dictator that looks like Trump and make the player have to kill him and return the forest to the cute Disney animals save the universe.
Bethesda(Games Studios) is one of the game companies that has managed to keep contemporary real-life politics out of their games though.

And people wonder why their writing is soul less.

Ehhh - A game doesn't need to have contemporary commentary to be good. And I'm not one of those 'GEDYERPOLITICSOUTTAMUHGAMES', it's just acknowledging a basic tenet of game-building, that I dare tie to story building, which aids with immersion and memorableness. If you DO shove in contemporary commentary you better have a solid ground to stand on and not care that a quarter or half of the populace won't ever like it; otherwise you get spineless centrism like the Bioshock games.

It just has to stand for SOMETHING, it has to have a coherent theme and message to build around. For example- 'Hey being a nobody when you can be somebody is sort of stupid, so be someone and stop being stomped on by the world' is a basic message, a basic theme but could flower into something huge and memorable down the road.

But what are the themes of the last few games?

Skyrim? Oblivion? 4, 3, 76? I honestly don't know. 76 might get a pass as it was a BR cash grab that some weird fans bashed into becoming a 'rpg'; but what do the others 'stand' for? What, the Nords are fucked but better to die standing than die kneeling like the Empire? I mean that's good enough; if bare bones. Oblivion - fuck if I know. 4 felt like a rip-off of NV - 'choose a side to determine the fate of the wasteland' which is a goal but not a theme; while NV delved not into just 'what side is better' but also about revenge, longing for the past, looking to the future. 3 - I'm honestly drawing a blank. Don't kill everyone because they didn't go into a vault in time?

That is what I feel weighs down these games. What are they trying to tell me is right, what are they trying to tell me is wrong, what are their moral codes and themes? Again, it doesn't have to be incredibly specific; it can be very vague but at least a good axiom to live by such as the 'don't be walked on' as above.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Surprise Bethesda Softworks Digital Showcase on July 11th

Pete Hines used very specific wording in his "No showcase in June" tweet to leave open the possibility for a future showcase as, at that time, higher ups havent decided yet if they truly were going to put together a digital showcase or not this year. Apparently the plan was to actually not have one at all and to just drop one announcement after another, with no mention of Starfield, until Zenimax stepped in and put pressure on Bethesda to actually throw together a showcase. Everyone is scrambling now and rushing to get this showcase together, lots of overtime and extra pay for in office work. Expect Bethesda to announce this event towards the end of June once our showcase is more ironed out.

Here is what is on the docket:
  • Additional Deathloop info and gameplay
  • Additional Ghostwire info and gameplay with mention of Ikumi's original vision
  • Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor
  • ESO Community Spotlight
  • "The Future of ESO"
  • Fallout 76 Community Spotlight
  • New Fallout 76 Content Announcement
  • "The Future of Fallout 76"
  • DOOM Eternal's Huge Expansion Announcement
  • Commander Keen (Redone since original announcement)
  • Starfield Teaser (With 4k Gameplay)
  • There will be no Todd Howard
This is the current plan right now although some things may get taken out or added in. Additional note is the recent Starfield website "glitch" wasn't a glitch. Starfield is complete and going through content overhaul and extra world building, similar to the Cyberpunk delay. Starfield is set for 2021 so please be patient. You will be surprised, although the game may not be for everyone. There will also be online social components and a mobile Starfield app for use alongside playing the main game. Todd didn't want it but Zenimax did.

There you go. Believe it or don't. I just wanted to drop this information so I could follow up with it by saying employees right now within Bethesda are being treated like shit over this sudden change in showcase plans and we are stressing. It is clear higher ups are not happy about being forced into throwing a showcase together last minute. I don't blame them. I just hope you all like what you see. We could use the good vibes here
:shittydog: :shittydog: :shittydog:

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Surprise Bethesda Softworks Digital Showcase on July 11th
If anyone's wondering, source here, unverified Reddit leak: http://archive.is/C95tY

Starfield is set for 2021 so please be patient. You will be surprised, although the game may not be for everyone.
This means it will be true sci-fi RPG 'cause RPGs are not for everyone nowadays. Bethesda getting back to its roots.
You'd hope so, and yet
There will also be online social components and a mobile Starfield app for use alongside playing the main game.

ADL

Prophet
Yes. I, for one, can not wait for No Man's Sky on the GamebryoCreation engine behind such technical masterpieces like Fallout 76, Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
Interstellar travel was the next natural step for them as I was bitching about their idea of three shacks and eight NPCs.

I guess it depends what kind of sci-fi you do. Small settlements and wilderness would be fine in a game about visiting uninhabited planets and exploration/survival, but knowing Bethesda's logic, they will probably have metropolis type planets, with 3 shacks and 8 NPCs. That Todd Howard rascal...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I bet they are worried about Cyberpunk. They know they have a slightly comparable product that is yet going to be inferior. How the fuck do you tackle the competition?

Trouble is, at the speed they are going, the Elder Scrolls 6 team better be worried about Witcher 4.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
I bet they are worried about Cyberpunk. They know they have a slightly comparable product that is yet going to be inferior. How the fuck do you tackle the competition?

Trouble is, at the speed they are going, the Elder Scrolls 6 team better be worried about Witcher 4.

Considering that Fallout 4 came out six months after The Witcher 3 and Starfield is probably an autumn 2021 game, which is one year after Cyberpunk 2077 *current* release date it seams quite likely to me that Elder Scrolls 6 will release at around the same time as The Witcher 4. As far as I know both Bethesda and CDPR have wanted to do the whole "have two AAA games in full production at the same time" thing for a number of years now, but I think in practice neither has been able to pull it off. The Witcher 4 and Elder Scrolls 6 both appear to still be in pre-production at the moment.

CDPR is definitely Bethesda's primary competitor for the type of game that they make (massive AAA open-world RPG light's), so they definitely don't want to compete with them directly in a launch window, but as long as there are a couple of months separating their releases I don't think they worry all that much. Bethesda games and CDPR games fullfill slightly different niches. CDPR is all about muh cinematic storytelling and muh voiced protagonist, while Bethesda games are more about open-ended sandbox gameplay where the world is the story and the main quest is almost an afterthought. CDPR are definitely better at catering to their niche than Bethesda are, but they are still slightly different niches.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Bethesda(Games Studios) is one of the game companies that has managed to keep contemporary real-life politics out of their games though.
To be honest, i would love a Black lives matter faction in the next openworld Bethesda CRPG. So i can create my based white male cowboy and slaughter them all. Add Bill gates in there too. Make him an end game boss.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't know. But I do remember than when Fo4 came out, the low quality writing and questing was noticed by a lot of reviewers, saying it was unacceptable after Witcher 3.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
To be honest, i would love a Black lives matter faction in the next openworld Bethesda CRPG. So i can create my based white male cowboy and slaughter them all. Add Bill gates in there too. Make him an end game boss.

This shitpost is accidentally hilarious when you take into consideration that Elder Scrolls 6 is probably going to be set in Hammerfell and that two of the most popular theories about what the main quest will be about are: 1. A three-way war between the Thalmor (High elf supremacists), The Empire (panhuman supremacists) and the Crowns (anti-Empire black nationalists) and 2. The Bethesda trademark Redfall refers to the redskinned plague mentioned in Skyrim and the game is about a magical plague that is released uppon the world by Peryite, a demonic lord who takes the form of a flying serpent/lizard, which is basically how Alex Jones-viewers view Bill Gates. Although the second theory is probably out of the question now due to coronavirus.

Norfleet

which is basically how Alex Jones-viewers view Bill Gates
To be fair, Bill Gates was a source of evil back when he was at Microsoft, too. If anything, his departure brought about an era in which Microsoft was mostly forgotten about as far as being evil was concerned, which makes you wonder if he was the source of evil all along.

The more BG3 info that comes out, and the more Fallout 76 burns, the less hope I have for even remotely enjoying Starfield and TES6. This is coming from a guy who rather enjoyed Skyrim and Fallout 4, despite how unbelievably flawed those games were.

duke nukem

Augur
Well, despite them using gamebryo engine im still far more interested in Starfield than in Cyberpunk2077.
Atleast Starfield will be entertaining to play and it wont be full of woke trash like cp2077.
Starfield will have better rpg mechanics than in cp2077(most likely). Lets face it, so far even Fo4 has better rpg mechanics than cp2077, so Starfield also surpassing cp2077 is very likely scenario.
Also writing in cp2077 in those gameplay trailers was far worse than in Fo4. Atleast bethesda dont try to make their games more "mature" by adding curses every sentences.
+it will have amazing mods.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Starfield will push paid mods hard. There will be some backlash, but none from the presstitutes. By tes6 nexus won't have a future, and they'll probably close shop.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Starfield still going to use Gamebryo, right? Can't wait for them space vistas in glorious 2002-era Morrowind graphics.
They've used Skyrim profits to hire a bunch of engineers to work on the engine.

I'm optimistic it'll look pretty good.

Big if true. I don't care about looks as much as a better-running engine.

Though if it's just another Elite/StarCitizen/Cockpit in space I'll fucking pass. Tired of those.

But what are the themes of the last few games?

Skyrim? Oblivion? 4, 3, 76? I honestly don't know. 76 might get a pass as it was a BR cash grab that some weird fans bashed into becoming a 'rpg'; but what do the others 'stand' for?

Actually, 76 does have those. The most prominent one is (lack of) trust, how all different groups and factions kept bickering for petty reasons and were wiped out by initially manageable threat of Scorchbeasts because they refused to cooperate and reason with each other. Others brought on by their greed, much more ruin than nuclear war ever did.

With Wastelanders it's definitely their best game since Morrowind, and the bleakest Fallout since the 1st one, especially by the time you reach Cranberry Bog and go from the Asylum to Whitesprings. I picked it cheap to check it out and, well, I'd say many other games deserve to be a bigger butt-monkey (at the very least FO3/4 instead of 76, or lazy EA-type cash grabs), you can tell that a lot of care, thought and detail was poured into it by devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom