Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Some lucky cancer patient will be getting a shitty NPC in some RPG after he is dead. Oh boy!

Readher

Savant
Some lucky cancer patient will be getting a shitty NPC in some RPG after he is dead. Oh boy!
That's not how it works. Someone bids on an auction to design a character for Starfield, while the money from highest bidder goes to cancer treatment instead of Bethesda.

is anyone else bored of retro futurism?

If you mean 50s and 60s, yeah.
I have been for a while now suggesting a "used" sci fi setting similar to the old Star Wars movies, original Battlestar Galactica, and the old Buck Rogers show. I always loved a lot of the spaceship and space station designs in those.

Humanity perhaps spread throughout the galaxy, megacorps owning their own sector of the galaxy, Earth having become some kind of galactic backwater. The player being a spacer who is looking for opportunities to strike it rich and against their will being dragged into something that ends up becoming a situation of stellar proportions.

Funnily, the future of space travel will look more like retro futurism pulp sci-fi than what we use for space travel now. The new space suits they've been working on are more skin tight and look like they're going to have bubble helms, and the future of commercial spaceships are going to be reusable rockets that look more like something you'd see on the cover of Amazing Stories than what NASA used.

These 3D printed buildings I've seen (which I'm sure will only get bigger) also have a retro art deco kind of look to them.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
I've thought long and hard about this.

Here is the solution:

There will be no humans in Starfield.

Zero homo sapiens.

No space suits. No human-centric design.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It isnt that simple, Oblivion story wasnt made by him so I think Down's Syndrome disease is actually a structural problem on Bethesda.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I suspect he's using it as a digital speaker to play Sam Cooke, and just put a custom wallpaper on it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Keeping toys at your workstation seems to be a tribal thing for games developers, signaling that they work on fun things and not boring web apps and customer databases like other software devs do.

He seems to have lost a lot of weight based on that twitter pic though. I remember Emil being a fatass in Fallout 3 promo pictures.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Keeping toys at your workstation seems to be a tribal thing for games developers, signaling that they work on fun things and not boring web apps and customer databases like other software devs do.

He seems to have lost a lot of weight based on that twitter pic though. I remember Emil being a fatass in Fallout 3 promo pictures.

theres a handful of ex-developers here on the codex who tell me that they're very, very, extremely happy to not be a game developer anymore, and coding accounting software is their dream job

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Nah, it is something a lot of programmers and even non-programmers nowadays do, assuming they do not work in stuck-up places with pointy haired bosses. It is a way to personalize your tiny space in the environment where you'll spend a significant part of your waking hours per day (especially in "open offices").

theres a handful of ex-developers here on the codex who tell me that they're very, very, extremely happy to not be a game developer anymore, and coding accounting software is their dream job

Depends on the developer, IME there are many game developers (especially programmers) who join but aren't really that interested in games and leave soon later, but there are others who like working in games (one of the best programmers i worked with actually used to work on regular non-gaming software). Personally i'd only work in non-game software only as a short term job if i have nothing else to do. But long term i can't see myself not working in games, i worked in non-game software at the past, it was boring :-P.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Nah, it is something a lot of programmers and even non-programmers nowadays do, assuming they do not work in stuck-up places with pointy haired bosses. It is a way to personalize your tiny space in the environment where you'll spend a significant part of your waking hours per day (especially in "open offices").

Agreed on the cubicle stuff, although IME the trend over the past decade (which was starting to die finally when I retired) was to do away with cubicles and have "open, collaborative team environments" (aka, we're shoving you fuckers into one big room with a bunch of tables and no interior walls because a consultant told us it would foster teamwork and improve overall quality), which made toys and decorations at the office much less likely.

Of course, they soon found that putting ten-to-twenty developers in a big room (often with people from other departments) led to ten-to-twenty developers wearing headphones at all times, so cubicles and even offices were making a comeback pre-covid.

Depends on the developer, IME there are many game developers (especially programmers) who join but aren't really that interested in games and leave soon later, but there are others who like working in games (one of the best programmers i worked with actually used to work on regular non-gaming software). Personally i'd only work in non-game software only as a short term job if i have nothing else to do. But long term i can't see myself not working in games, i worked in non-game software at the past, it was boring :-P.

I knew a lot of programmers who were passionate about games and still lasted only a few years in the gaming industry before migrating back over into the non-games space. The pay is worse and the hours generally are too, so as a programmer, you have to *really* love game dev (or have no other options) to stick, I think.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Emil probably has his own office.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom