Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

of course, and they'll all be variations of "asshole".

coldaqua

Novice

Bethesda Game Studios Audio Director Mark Lampert and Starfield Composer Inon Zur sit down to talk about music and sound design in our third episode of ‘Into the Starfield.’ Listen as they discuss Lampert and Zur’s artistic process, how the score affects a player’s experience and the search for answers that is at the heart of Starfield’s music.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Inon Zur would seem to be a perfect fit for this game. Looking forward to the soundtrack immensely. Those videos are a bit cringe but at least its not the usual bs with employees from a list of boxes being checked. Just a couple of proven dudes in an uncomfortable marketing department setting.

coldaqua

Novice
Those videos are a bit cringe but at least its not the usual bs with employees from a list of boxes being checked.

Tell me about it. This is the only one I've watched so far because Bethesda games generally have really good music, but the other videos were unbelievably cringe and contrived. Just a couple of dudes gushing about a game none of us have seen yet.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Some bozo from Bethesda broke NDA and leaked a bunch of stuff on resetera. Bloomberg rat confirmed it as legit.

Hevy008 said:
It was cool solid place to work, very secure. The engine is a piece of crap tho. Todd is a charismatic guy for sure. Starfield is looking good, weekly Thursday playtest since the beginning of the year, more and more stuff coming online. Shooting feels alright, flying is terrible atm imo just not fun for me. Lighting and stuff is looking better and better, tho it's not on the level of HFW or anything like that but still a good looking game. In terms of if it will ship on time, well they will try that's for sure, they'll cut what they did to etc, they have an overabundance of content, probably too much, so that's not the issue, finding the fun and of course bug fixing is the big thing. It's a sexy date tho and you only get one of those, beta is this summer, that's when the picture will truly become clear.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do we know if this is based on the usual moddable Bethesda Engine? Or are they using Unreal or whatever?

Robotigan

Learned
I was there for the whole thing. He didn't seem to have any jank concerns with flying, just mechanics not to his taste. Probably comparable to how he felt about shooting in FO4 as he mentions he's a huge Doom & MachineGames fan. Similarly with the engine, in subsequent comments he said he complaints were mostly about the dev-side usability. Compared it to CryEngine with powerful capabilities but a pain to work with as opposed to the friendly, convenient interfaces of Unity or Unreal (honestly sounds like it's his first time working with internal software).

Overall he was really positive about the game. He leaked space flight entirely by accident because he thought it had already been announced. :lol:

Anyone who seriously thinks this won't be another Cyberpunk 77-type scam is out of their minds. It's baffling how consooomers keep taking the bait.
Can't be, he said they've been playtesting since January.

Zeriel

Arcane

Get to know your favorite new companion, Vasco – Constellation’s expeditionary robot you’ll explore with throughout your travels in Starfield.

This looks very good. What a surprise it would be for Bethesda to release the codex goty for 2022

Come on fam after Fallout 4 you should know better. They always hide the mechanics and wow you with glitz. Then when you play the game the glitz is nonexistent or falls to pieces because you actually see all the scaffolding and bugs holding it up in promos & the mechanics are so dumbed down you feel actively insulted as a player and say such things as, "Wow, I wish this was as complicated as a Ubisoft game."

There was a point in time where Bethesda RPGs were "good for what it is" material, where you could turn off your brain and appreciate the fun if you weren't particularly picky and accepted them for what they were trying to do, but that was like a decade ago. Everything they've done lately shows they've continued down that path to the point that the "golden mean" has been left behind and you have to undergo a lobotomy to even get through a few hours.

Last edited:

Akachi

Educated
There was a point in time where Bethesda RPGs were "good for what it is" material, where you could turn off your brain and appreciate the fun if you weren't particularly picky and accepted them for what they were trying to do, but that was like a decade ago. Everything they've done lately shows they've continued down that path to the point that the "golden mean" has been left behind and you have to undergo a lobotomy to even get through a few hours.
You need to undergo a lobotomy to still be waiting on new Bethesda games to play at all these days. I remember back when they made games. Morrowind is two decades old, Oblivion not far behind, and even Skyrim is over a decade old. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Morrowind was closer to three decades old rather than two by the time the next Elder Scrolls game comes out.

A decade ago, Bethesda was making Fallout 4, which released 7 years ago. Even the most diehard Bethesda fan has been given years and years to move on whether they like it or not. But who cares about them, when there's casuals who played Skyrim who can be jolted alive like Frankenstein's monster animated by the mention of the date 11/11, ready to play an RPG for the first time in years?

Bethesda's target audience that Starfield is being made for is most likely not any of us who are old enough to remember "Bethesda RPGs," but those who played Skyrim as a kid who remember it as their first "real" RPG and are now adults, and teenagers.

Zeriel

Arcane
You need to undergo a lobotomy to still be waiting on new Bethesda games to play at all these days. I remember back when they made games. Morrowind is two decades old, Oblivion not far behind, and even Skyrim is over a decade old. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Morrowind was closer to three decades old rather than two by the time the next Elder Scrolls game comes out.

A decade ago, Bethesda was making Fallout 4, which released 7 years ago. Even the most diehard Bethesda fan has been given years and years to move on whether they like it or not. But who cares about them, when there's casuals who played Skyrim who can be jolted alive like Frankenstein's monster animated by the mention of the date 11/11, ready to play an RPG for the first time in years?

Bethesda's target audience that Starfield is being made for is most likely not any of us who are old enough to remember "Bethesda RPGs," but those who played Skyrim as a kid who remember it as their first "real" RPG and are now adults, and teenagers.

I agree with you totally, but that's also the point I'm making in terms of Skyrim. I don't expect anything from Bethesda, I grieved and got over the loss of Daggerfall around my teens and early 20s when they went to Morrowind and then Oblivion, but even as someone who reconciled themselves to that, Fallout 4 was a massive step down from even Skyrim's extreme "accessibility". It was so ridiculously dumbed down that it insulted anyone smart enough to use a can opener. And I saw that criticism, after the initial hype-wave and press bullshit reviews, reflected in even the most casual of Bethesda fans.

There's a reason some of the most popular mods for Fallout 4 are not "make thing sexy" or "add woman in skintight bodysuit" but "fix the fucking core dialogue system to be slightly more appealing".

I guess my overall argument is they've reached a point where it's even starting to bother the mongoloids. We'll have to wait and see if Starfield takes a step back from that but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom