Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So, looking at a "No man's sky done right" (what ever that might mean here) with this one or...?

If by done right you mean a Bethesda RPG, then yeah I guess. One would assume it's Fallout in space. There were rumors a while back that they were trying to do more with it though, like space combat and shit, but I forget the details.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If by done right you mean a Bethesda RPG, then yeah I guess.

I’m not exactly sure what I mean.

I suppose Bethesda’s trashcollector sims are a bit fuller experiences than the almost completely void gaming that NMK offers.

But then, NMK (I assume) also lacks Bethesda’s inanities by being an almost empty husk. So...

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They're maybe not really RPGs, but the gameplay loop of going somewhere, having some simple combats, picking up loot, and going home has some appeal. For me it mostly depends on what the setting is. If it's deadly boring (TES) or pretty fucking boring (FO3), it doesn't work for me. But Obsidian used their formula well in New Vegas, so I dunno, maybe they'll suddenly discover how to not suck? I'm not hopeful, but there's a chance they'll pull it off.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Actually, you can see how 'a space opera/space epic' game would be most fitting for a Bethesda RPG. Exploration and their brand of 'environmental storytelling' has always been their strong suit, and it goes well with big semi-emptiness of space.
If they can create a halfway compelling/distinct setting and keep quality and production values at least at post-patch Skyrim levels (and not a shitshow like F76 was), it could be good for what it is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I’m not exactly sure what I mean.

I suppose Bethesda’s trashcollector sims are a bit fuller experiences than the almost completely void gaming that NMK offers.

But then, NMK (I assume) also lacks Bethesda’s inanities by being an almost empty husk. So...

Bethesda do one thing really well, hiking sim exploration, and yes it would be nice to have that in a space opera setting. We shall see.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why anyone into RPG's is even remotely interested in future games from Bethesda is beyond me.
For me it depends which way they go. If they stick with Fallout 4's premade personality voiced protagonist, level-based point buy character system, and total lack of choices of any kind, I'm out. If they return to Skyrim's blank slate protagonist, excellent learn-by-doing character system, and substantial, objective-based decision making in (at least some) missions, I'll be very interested.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's coming.

New job listings on Bethesda's website indicate that the company is trying to fill a few positions. The first, and more significant, listing is looking for someone to "collaborate on the implementation of new gameplay features: player and characters’ behaviors, combat and powers mechanics, [and] user interface." In addition, the listing wants someone capable of iterating on gameplay features to ensure a great player experience.

The implication is that Bethesda is gearing up for a project to enter full production. The most likely candidate for that would be The Elder Scrolls 6, as it seems a little late for Starfield to still be hiring on new developers. Of course, that also implies that Starfield's development is winding down, so fans may get to see more of the game soon.

Also, this job listing says Bethesda Rockville (Todd Howard's lair) needs a Video editor for marketing purposes. E3 trailer?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's coming.
EIN7sNH.png
It's a matter of time x 1

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Starfield is cancelled. Tenth Planet is coming out Q4 2020.

Quillon

Arcane
Why anyone into RPG's is even remotely interested in future games from Bethesda is beyond me.

I had way more fun with FO4 than TOW. Bethesda games are rich in gameplay systems + mods to screw around and have fun while ignoring the shit narrative design. And when narrative also gets done well you get GOAT FNV :D

Wunderbar

Arcane
Bethesda games are rich in gameplay systems + mods to screw around and have fun while ignoring the shit narrative design. And when narrative also gets done well you get GOAT FNV :D
Bethesda's gameplay systems suck too.

They are successful because no one makes similar games. KCD has fixed protagonist is way too story-focused, Piranha bytes games are in a niche of their own, Witcher 3 is a cinematic popamole with dead uninteractable world, Ubisoft's rpg-lites are boring checklist simulators.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What makes you think Starfield will even be moddable
He's probably assuming that Starfield uses another iteration of the game engine created for Morrowind, in similar fashion to Oblivion, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Skyrim, and Fallout 4.

Although if Bethesda is attempting to create a new game engine for Starfield, this would perhaps explain the delays. :M
Todd said they're not going to ditch gamebryo in the near future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom