Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Pete Hines just said (among else) that you can steal ships too. I mean not that surprising, but just fyi.

Robotigan

Learned
People spend too much time thinking about the Space RPG they wanted Starfield to be that they don't consider what Todd wanted Starfield to be. In early interviews he said Wing Commander and Star Control 2 were some of his favorite games. Goddamn if Starfield isn't a Bethesda game with Wing Commander space combat and Star Control 2 space exploration.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
No, I explicitly stated the protagonist was unvoiced. It was a return to traditional dialogue.
And I explicitly stated that they would not voice the main character retroactively. And if they did they would have to include 20 different nationalities. Which they wont do. Not because a glorious return to proper dialogue. But because they know they will forget one type of accent and offend someone.

Codex Year of the Donut
No, it was awful. You put together a bunch of crap prefabs and a load of NPCs all named "Settler" show up and stand there. If you build a chair, they will sometimes sit on it.
Thoroughly disappointing. Everyone relies on the protagonist to do everything, you're basically babysitting dozens of adults. What an amazingly underwhelming feature.
And I explicitly stated that they would not voice the main character retroactively. And if they did they would have to include 20 different nationalities. Which they wont do. Not because a glorious return to proper dialogue. But because they know they will forget one type of accent and offend someone.
This is some next-level anti-Bethesda cope.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Anyways, back to Starfield. Which of the preset Nasapunk astronauts will you be playing as?

I myself will be be Asian Rambo
top row 2nd guy.

wuRoKyZ.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
Why do they all have like, weird, dried, unevenly-applied mascara on.

Looking at those is kind of like when you take acid and then see yourself in a mirror and it's like seeing a human for the first time ever, and you realise how fucking weird we look. Same feeling.

Just Locus

Educated
Anyways, back to Starfield. Which of the preset Nasapunk astronauts will you be playing as?

I myself will be be Asian Rambo
top row 2nd guy.

wuRoKyZ.jpg
I love that they said this was their most flexible character creation system, when you can't even play as any specie.
and no intelligent specie has been showcased in the trailers or talked about in the marketing at all.

Just Locus

Educated
Why do they all have like, weird, dried, unevenly-applied mascara on.

Looking at those is kind of like when you take acid and then see yourself in a mirror and it's like seeing a human for the first time ever, and you realise how fucking weird we look. Same feeling.
they still haven't fixed the problems with models looking plastic-y and shine a little too bright and stuff like that, hopefully they'll have that fixed when the game actually gets polished before it releases.

Gargaune

Magister
Here is the tweet from Bethesda saying they are not using a voice for the playable character

Fine by me, hopefully that silent protagonist will help 'em make more complicated dialog trees than Yes?, Yes, Haha Yes, No (But Yes). But I'm not digging the FPP dialogue posture, I liked Fo4's pseudo-cinematic dialogue camera.

Pete Hines just said (among else) that you can steal ships too. I mean not that surprising, but just fyi.
Is there a video of just the Starfield bit? I'm not watching a whole other Microsoft showcase so soon, I only have so many braincells left.

No, it was awful. You put together a bunch of crap prefabs and a load of NPCs all named "Settler" show up and stand there. If you build a chair, they will sometimes sit on it.
Mods fixed it!

Well, partly. Then other mods fixed the mods.

Robotigan

Learned
Fine by me, hopefully that silent protagonist will help 'em make more complicated dialog trees than Yes?, Yes, Haha Yes, No (But Yes). But I'm not digging the FPP dialogue posture, I liked Fo4's pseudo-cinematic dialogue camera.
My opinions are really unpopular here, but dialogue trees are uninteresting in 90% of games I've seen them in. The idea of them has always been more compelling than their implementation which tends to feel like those obtuse and tedious puzzles from point-and-click games. I'd much rather a developer attempt to innovate an entirely new conversation system modeled on some kind of elaborate state-machine than try to flesh out the old dialogue tree format. Tree searching isn't engaging gameplay nor is it true to how real conversations feel.
Is there a video of just the Starfield bit? I'm not watching a whole other Microsoft showcase so soon, I only have so many braincells left.
FVEo2kHWIAAn0fH.jpg

We know they have a docking and boarding mechanic so at that point stealing the ship doesn't seem like a stretch.

Gargaune

Magister
I'd much rather a developer attempt to innovate
Attempted innovation scares the bejeezus out of me.

And speaking of... Who came up with this amazing "innovation" called the Mining Laser that keeps spreading all over the fucking place? I don't wanna waste even three seconds shooting rocks off bigger rocks. Should've done something different, like you could identify a resource with your scanner and just queue it up for a little pocket drone to fly out and collect while you carry on. You know, something cool and unobtrusive. But no, let's shoot rocks.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Attempted innovation scares the bejeezus out of me.

And speaking of... Who came up with this amazing "innovation" called the Mining Laser that keeps spreading all over the fucking place? I don't wanna waste even three seconds shooting rocks off bigger rocks. Should've done something different, like you could identify a resource with your scanner and just queue it up for a little pocket drone to fly out and collect while you carry on. You know, something cool and unobtrusive. But no, let's shoot rocks.

So you want automated harvesting? How about automated building? Autopilot? Just play an fps game. Or watch a lets roleplay.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Who came up with this amazing "innovation" called the Mining Laser that keeps spreading all over the fucking place?
Hello Games.

I don't wanna waste even three seconds shooting rocks off bigger rocks. Should've done something different, like you could identify a resource with your scanner and just queue it up for a little pocket drone to fly out and collect while you carry on.
Or, you know, mine a fuckhuge asteroid with your shipl like a civilized person, instead of digging through dirt like a chimp.

Actually, why can't you mine asteroids?

Arulan

Cipher
Putting aside my opinions on general design issues of post-Morrowind Bethesda titles, I don't think this will work out for them if they haven't managed to build a setting as interesting as Fallout or The Elder Scrolls. They've been more or less cruising on Kirkbride's work for a couple decades now, and they inherited Fallout (and made their arguably bad additions to). Are they really capable of creating something as compelling? I have serious doubts, and what we've seen from gameplay isn't going to hold it up.

coldaqua

Novice
We know they have a docking and boarding mechanic so at that point stealing the ship doesn't seem like a stretch.
I wonder if the player can immobilize hostile ships and board them that way or if boarding is strictly limited to friendly or derelict ships.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Oh good, the protag voice acting in FO4 was shit.
The female voice acting was fine. Nice generic fembot voice.

Unfortunately the male voice actor has such a high-pitched, soft, and generally non-masculine voice that it is unsuitable for most character types you probably want to play in brutal, post-apocalpytic wasteland where you mostly just walk around and kill people / things. I legit can't bring myself to play male characters in FO4 because of that gay ass voice. He sounds like a young, sheltered academic type e.g. like a young doctor or psychologist from the (upper-)middle class. Certainly doesn't sound like any kind of fighter / tough guy.

Unless it releases in a state even worse than their previous games I feel like this is going to be their biggest game since Skyrim.

Bethesda's biggest Elder Scrolls games have utterly generic settings; their biggest Elder Scrolls game isn't Morrowind, it's Oblivion and (specifically) Skyrim, so it's not exactly like the setting needs to be much more than they've already shown. I would however think having a bunch of different planets will see a return of some more interesting looking locations.

This game does have a nice little touch every sci-fi game should do that fleshes out the world. They're doing that Gran Turismo thing Armored Core does where all your ship parts, and assumedly all gear in general, has the manufacturer and fake logo on the thing. It's such a nice cool little simple bit of world building in Armored Core that I'm surprised more games don't do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom