Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I recommend reading these leaks on 4chan, 2018, 2019 and 2021. Each one supposedly made by the same programmer in Bethesda, every single thing so far checks out, both the presentation on E3 and Kotaku article. I am especially interested in the claims that they have a new and better physics system and after ditching Havok, plus the ability to do animations in their Creation Tool.
https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/448953446/#448957687

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/442216303/#q442228231

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/558001654/#q558015414

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1.jpg
The inclusion of space cliff racers would be tremendous incline in Current Year.

tz0txk.jpg

BruceVC

Magister
Can we drive any vehicle in Starfield, except our spaceship? I guess no, but on brighter side Galaxy is overrun by niggers. Now, THAT! is innovative
Wall dont be so negative, innovation is always appreciated but its hard to always be innovative when we have so many established and popular mechanics that gamers enjoy

I dont want some game that is "innovative " but I dont enjoy what I see because the developers dont include what works and what is fun

So its a balancing act but you definitely dont just throw out the tried and tested successful designs in any game

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
I recommend reading these leaks on 4chan, 2018, 2019 and 2021. Each one supposedly made by the same programmer in Bethesda, every single thing so far checks out, both the presentation on E3 and Kotaku article. I am especially interested in the claims that they have a new and better physics system and after ditching Havok, plus the ability to do animations in their Creation Tool.
so there will be 80 000+ adult animations in first month of relased game, nice. hope it wont crash like skyrim (without modders patch) when trying to load thousands of animation files.

The One Way Starfield is Different From No Man's Sky: it'll actually be worth a AAA price tag.

The game isn't even out and Bethseda is already shilling out dosh for influencers to promote the game.
Duh? Business as usual, that's how you get all those sweet, sweet day-one purchases.

This seems way more like Bethesda's Mass Effect than it does No Man's Sky to me. It's just they're doing (or it sounds like they're going to do) shit Mass Effect should've been doing right out of the gate, and never did; like letting you fly around in space, lots of customization options, (which I think BioWare were originally planning, but then dropped along with a whole lot of other features) and having substantial ground areas to explore when planet side.

The way you pick where you're going to land even looks like planet scanning from Mass Effect 2. The main throughline of finding some mystery object that gives you some vision also sounds like Mass Effect.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Skyrim: 60 000

Fallout New Vegas: 65 000

Fallout 4: 110 000
(13 000 belongs to the protagonist, both male and female)

Starfield: 200 000+
(Todd says this in IGN interview, not sure where the 150 number comes from?)

---

And yet.. Fallout 4 felt like it had almost none.. and New Vegas felt so full.
Quality over Quantity.
Worth mentioning that Fallout 4 lines count is bloated with a voiced protagonist, that is 2 genders for every line and tons of useless choices (yes/oh yes/sarcasmic yes/whetever yes). I bet up to 2/3 of all dialogue is wasted on those.
Since Starfield protagonist is not voiced, those 200 000 lines are NPCs talking.
Which is not necessary an indication of quality, obviously.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Worth mentioning that Fallout 4 lines count is bloated with a voiced protagonist, that is 2 genders for every line and tons of useless choices (yes/oh yes/sarcasmic yes/whetever yes). I bet up to 2/3 of all dialogue is wasted on those.
Todd also forced Stephen Russell to voice a bazillion of possible names for the main character, i bet they counted each name as a separate line.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Only the Todd can save AAA single player RPGs. 2023 is going to be the year of incline.
ye i was thinking about this with that leak saying todd going hardcore. no reason for him to care, he already made zillions on his lies, he could retire. unless its something bigger going on.

it really seems to me like trumps "space force" breathing over todds neck to prep plebs for eventual disclosure that humanity have dozens of colonies on other star systems and recently they rebelled from earth authority after they found out banking cartel run corporate complex and most govs along with nazis in south pole where completely infiltrated by hostile AI and try to push forcerd brain implants and and harmful nanites (black goo vaccines) everywhere.

even if there wont be disclousure they can use it to guide focus (assuming game will be good enough to become very popular) and push some probability distribution of outcomes for battles between colonies and invasive AI slaves; some of colonies were fully brain implanted and must be wiped out.

anyway todd will (or at least try) make PC games GREAT AGAIN

also star citizen is garbage i never seen ANY content in that tech demo (unless bunch of retards glitching and crashing servers is content) how they can even call it a game.
https://youtu.be/p9WFw56Mv1w?t=122
kuk roberts sux big donkey dicks just like his wife

SumDrunkGuy

the only thing no mans sky provided were very rare, pretty, serene planets with that awesome wavy grass; those, after updates that are so greatly prised amongst zoomers, along with mentioned grass were completely eradicated leaving only pointless grind; by pointless i mean u cannot build titty filled mansion.

such-sights-to-show.gif

play Conan Exiles. It lets you build as big a mansion(s) as you want and you can fill them with as much tittys as you want. It's pretty much the greatest game ever made but the queers don't want you to know about it

Drop Duck

Learned
This seems way more like Bethesda's Mass Effect than it does No Man's Sky to me.
Mass Effect is a series of tight hub-based corridor cover shooters with RPG elements and a focus on a cinematic narrative experience. Starfield is exactly like No Man's Sky crossed with Fallout 4, see the video above. Toddlers are in strong denial if they don't think Sean Murray did all this years ago. What kind of drugs do you have to be on to make a connection to Mass Effect instead? It's in another genre entirely, it doesn't do anything that's new in Starfield.

wishbonetail

Learned
This seems way more like Bethesda's Mass Effect than it does No Man's Sky to me.
Mass Effect is a series of tight hub-based corridor cover shooters with RPG elements and a focus on a cinematic narrative experience. Starfield is exactly like No Man's Sky crossed with Fallout 4, see the video above. Toddlers are in strong denial if they don't think Sean Murray did all this years ago. What kind of drugs do you have to be on to make a connection to Mass Effect instead? It's in another genre entirely, it doesn't do anything that's new in Starfield.
Are you aware that first Mass Effect allowed you to freely explore planets in search for resourcers? Subsequent titles gone to shit though.

SumDrunkGuy

Are you aware that first Mass Effect allowed you to freely explore planets in search for resourcers? Subsequent titles gone to shit though.
Nah the idiot is correct. This is far more similar to NMS.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Nah the idiot is correct. This is far more similar to NMS.
NMS is a different genre altogether, not to mention the cartoonish design, and while some secondary mechanics may seem similar, the core game is obviously very different.
tl;dr it's an actual RPG for one, with a story and stuff, not a survival resources grinding sim like NMS.

SumDrunkGuy

NMS is a different genre altogether, not to mention the cartoonish design, and while some secondary mechanics may seem similar, the core game is obviously very different.
tl;dr it's an actual RPG for one, with a story and stuff, not a survival resources grinding sim like NMS.
That's hilarious. You should be a comedian.

Gargaune

Magister
No Man's Scat shills still shilling for their fair lady. Starfield will be nothing like NMS because Todd will deliver the AAA goods and it will JUST WORK™* while your greedy little space-sim-that-couldn't will remain a living meme.

:mixedemotions:

* JUST WORK™ sold separately.

By Bethesda's Mass Effect, I mean Bethesda's take on Mass Effect...which I explained in the post you quoted. It looks like Mass Effect if Bethesda had made it, like Bethesda wanted to make a Mass Effect but unlike with Fallout couldn't just buy up the rights. This game looks like Bethesda (Todd Howard) looked at Mass Effect and said: What if we did that but actually followed through on the idea of planet exploration (which, while bad, was in the first game, and was something they hyped up during development) and customization, and actually let you do shit in your spaceship in this game where you're flying around in space and have your own spaceship and crew.

The No Man's Sky similarities are just a byproduct of shit Bethesda is already known for doing being done in a game that takes place in space. Oh, you collect resources; well no shit, it's a Bethesda game, it's like picking flowers in a Elder Scrolls. No Man's Sky's whole big gimmick is seamless traversal between the planet side stuff and space like that cancelled 2008 version of Battlefront 3 Free Radical Design was doing, which isn't something this game is doing, they're instead (at least it looks that way from the trailer) using a system where you pick a spot to land on the planet that looks a hell of a lot like Mass Effect 2 planet scanning. If a Mace Griffin 2 came out today, and it carried on the things the original game did in 2003, people would probably also be saying it looked like a No Man's Sky knockoff. I get the No Man's Sky comparison, but it mostly just seem surface-level and lazy to me.

Robotigan

Learned
By Bethesda's Mass Effect, I mean Bethesda's take on Mass Effect...which I explained in the post you quoted. It looks like Mass Effect if Bethesda had made it, like Bethesda wanted to make a Mass Effect but unlike with Fallout couldn't just buy up the rights. This game looks like Bethesda (Todd Howard) looked at Mass Effect and said: What if we did that but actually followed through on the idea of planet exploration (which, while bad, was in the first game, and was something they hyped up during development) and customization, and actually let you do shit in your spaceship in this game where you're flying around in space and have your own spaceship and crew.
I kind of disagree. Mass Effect has you play a specific character and mostly playthrough a linear sequence of events. Bethesda's always been encouraging the player to go off-script, explore the world, and "make your own story" as they like to say which is really just taking advantage of the emergent systems to play out your own goals. The reason they wanted to buy Fallout is because you can also play those games like that, meandering through and discovering the wasteland and toying around with the RPG systems. If you think Fallout 1 & 2's story as a conduit for the world rather than what the game is about, then you'll probably understand Bethesda's design decision with the franchise a bit better. But Mass Effect is undoubtedly all about the main narrative so its game design is irreconcilable with Bethesda's.
The No Man's Sky similarities are just a byproduct of shit Bethesda is already known for doing being done in a game that takes place in space.
The similarities between No Man's Sky and Daggerfall, a game Bethesda made, are obvious. I think a lot of people who first experienced Elder Scrolls through Morrowind don't realize just how much Bethesda laments all the world sim and procedural elements they had to strip down in the transition to 3d consoles. They've been slowly reimplementing sim elements in every subsequent title. They even advertised mortgages in Starfield's gameplay trailer for Pete (Hines)'s sake! But it should also be noted that Daggerfall is more fun to play than No Man's Sky. No Man's Sky's problem has nothing to do with its scope or procedural generation, entire genres of games rely on those and are more fun to play. No Man's Sky's problem is that it doesn't have a game loop; it's a game without a game. Rookie mistake. When you encounter a procedural dungeon in Daggerfall, there's a quest objective to complete and obstacles to make that objective interesting. Additionally there's overreaching objective for the entire game and grinding/looting dungeons helps you achieve that. No Man's Sky was basically just a tech demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom