Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
This is not a bad thing neither gameplay or lore wise.

It can make sense that at start of era of space colonization humanity will concentrate in its population on few major colonies and have a bunch of smaller work related settlements.
There's a tendency for producers and consumers alike of sci-fi to greatly overestimate the percentage of habitable worlds in the galaxy, simply because the overall number is so great.
Odds are planetary colonization won't even be desirable, it's too difficult to get out of a planet's gravity compared to an artificial construct.
anti gravity even in human hands is over 50 years old and most planets do have organic lifeforms. its pretty much exactly opposite what fake joke cover up program/nasa would make u think.

btw canda defense minister openly admitted to (hostile) alien interference. even jew run media showing more military jet footages of ufos recently, but they will use it for distraction im sure. ofc some of these are human made based on tech from illegal treaties with et groups. like ufo fleet over washington in 1952, which were nazi crafts. btw nazis didnt lost ww2, hostile ai that inflitrated them decided its better to fake their loss and take over planet with soy, vaccines and consensual (but strongly recommended or your social credit score gos to 0) brain implants.
https://youtu.be/LcbCafpvIT0

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I guess it depends on the kind of sci fi one likes. If one's more a fan of say, Star Wars, you might expect every planet to be liveable and inhabited by some kind of aliens of varying intelligence and technological progress.
Then again Star Wars and such is more fantasy than science fiction but I feel not everyone knows that, at least not SW fans.
Others like me, might be more into hard sci fi. This means 99% of planets would be uninhabitable hellholes that are barren, scorched, frozen, tidally locked, constantly blasted with cosmic radiation, have lower or higher gravity, volcanic activity, catastrophic atmospherical conditions, or no atmosphere at all, or a combination of all those. To make it more interesting could still be done with an interesting take on the Fermi paradox, for example aliens existed but died out eons ago and ruined structures could be found hidden on planets e.g. orbiting a dying sun etc.

But this is Bethesda. People expect Skyrim in space. Skyrim is fantasy, so we're expecting more Star Wars than 2001 A Space Odyssey.
And whether it's 4 or 400 cities, I don't think any of these will be overly interesting.
The Daggerfall comparison might end up being real accurate, because the selling point of DF was scale, but it was empty and randomly generated. Not even different each time you play, just randomly generated once to achieve this unprecedented scale. It's actually impressive how it is saved though, which explains why the huge world requires relatively little disk space. Apparently once you get to a place, variables that use little storage generate the area from scratch according to a blueprint.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
I guess it depends on the kind of sci fi one likes. If one's more a fan of say, Star Wars, you might expect every planet to be liveable and inhabited by some kind of aliens of varying intelligence and technological progress.
Then again Star Wars and such is more fantasy than science fiction but I feel not everyone knows that, at least not SW fans.
Others like me, might be more into hard sci fi. This means 99% of planets would be uninhabitable hellholes that are barren, scorched, frozen, tidally locked, constantly blasted with cosmic radiation, have lower or higher gravity, volcanic activity, catastrophic atmospherical conditions, or no atmosphere at all, or a combination of all those. To make it more interesting could still be done with an interesting take on the Fermi paradox, for example aliens existed but died out eons ago and ruined structures could be found hidden on planets e.g. orbiting a dying sun etc.

But this is Bethesda. People expect Skyrim in space. Skyrim is fantasy, so we're expecting more Star Wars than 2001 A Space Odyssey.
And whether it's 4 or 400 cities, I don't think any of these will be overly interesting.
The Daggerfall comparison might end up being real accurate, because the selling point of DF was scale, but it was empty and randomly generated. Not even different each time you play, just randomly generated once to achieve this unprecedented scale. It's actually impressive how it is saved though, which explains why the huge world requires relatively little disk space. Apparently once you get to a place, variables that use little storage generate the area from scratch according to a blueprint.
2001 odyssey implied almost all if not all planets breeding with life altho on different levels of development, especially if u consider sequel.

starfield seems to be stylised for both nasa tech and 2001 mood which is irony as 2001 was (mostly) about how nasa is just pr focused joke to cover up alien interference. also considering how obviously fake moonlanding footage was the idea that errors were put there on purpose by possibly kubrick is not unreasonable.

also there is no such thing like random generation or randomness in the matter, beside abstract math constructs.
its procedural generation; machines dont create they just process input to output.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
The Aristotelic point of view that permeates modern media tropes is just depressing.
didnt knew Aristotelic point of view is to be soy infused, dress wearing fag who dosent beat cunts that dont know any better and think they should have right to vote or operate vehicles not to mention space craft. but yes its depressing. fortunately most of them are vaccinated and/or dont own any Bitcoin so they will be dead or wish they will be dead in couple years.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Codex newfags are getting worse and worse.
imagine being low testoreone garbage of quasi human being to such a degree that u picked fag vampire class (aka mage/tremere) in bloodlines and not only not killing yourself from shame but publicly displaying it along with your cognitive capacity of a goat (indicated by complete ineptness even in vituperation skills) that just has been repeatedly raped in clintons orgy.

in a moment like this lets appreciate klaus shwab and his preadamite alien masters and their vaccination programs unleashed on this subhuman part of population.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
STARFIELD: SPACE KFC

"Itz da best shiiiiiiiet in galaxy, muh nigga" CNN
"Get fucked from as many positions as there are stars in Milky Way Galaxy"
Pete Hines
"See that planet? You can twerk on it" Todd Howard

hpstg

Savant
TLDR: Bethesda. Bethesda never changes. Same playbook, same "tricks" during press demos. They really need to step up their hype game to make people bite.
I don't know what they showed to the team, but their presentation in the Xbox conference was honest. Even the performance was not "polished" at all, it was clear this was directly from the game. I appreciated that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Complete radio silence after that first gameplay show. Hahahahaha.

Risewild

Arbiter
Complete radio silence after that first gameplay show. Hahahahaha.
That's usual Bethesda MO.
They do it to build hype with their fans. If they show a tiny bit and nothing more, people will go nuts waiting for the next tiny bit to be shown. Also, it avoids people seeing the bullshit in their games before the game is released and bought like hot cakes.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
TLDR: Bethesda. Bethesda never changes. Same playbook, same "tricks" during press demos. They really need to step up their hype game to make people bite.
I don't know what they showed to the team, but their presentation in the Xbox conference was honest. Even the performance was not "polished" at all, it was clear this was directly from the game. I appreciated that.
Oh, I never meant that they would do a fake gameplay presentation, that's not Bethesda's style. Even for FO76 they did a (guided) live play tour, excusing the horrible performance at times. And that's normal for games at that early state.
"The problem" is they are using the same promises and implications about gameplay they always do, and since FO76 (and the Cyberpunk2077 drama) journalists are understandably wary of those. Beth (and CDPR) have lost too much credit to be taken at face value and need to prove themselves again.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
People still play FO76. They don't have to prove shit. They'll just keep on doing the same old and people will continue to gobble up the same old. In a post social media world, the "same old with a new coat of paint" produced with a big budget is king. This game will sell very well, every streamer will play it, people will be super hyped for it. Then a month later or so the critics and the take-downer will appear and point out the obvious flaws. People will bitch about said flaws but continue to play the game. 5 years later the cycle repeats.

RunningWolf

Learned
You people are so gullible. Nobody in the marketing will think "yeah it stutters like a motherfucker lets be honest and show it how it is".

What happened in reality is "this is the best we can do to hide how unstable and unplayable this piece of coding turd is".
They appreciate your naivety.

Codex Year of the Donut
You people are so gullible. Nobody in the marketing will think "yeah it stutters like a motherfucker lets be honest and show it how it is".

What happened in reality is "this is the best we can do to hide how unstable and unplayable this piece of coding turd is".
They appreciate your naivety.
if they didn't want it to stutter they'd have just filmed it on the best PC money could buy
it was obviously filmed on an xbox whatever because it was an xbox gaming show

The Creation Engine is a marvel of software engineering. Don't be brainwashed by retards like Jim Sterling, etc. who push the creation engine bad narrative. The vast majority of people on this planet (including you) are not equipped to judge the quality of a codebase.

Perkel

Arcane
i mean it is pretty much the best mod engine out there currently.
Unreal engine 3 was pretty good to mod but U4 and especially U5 are complete shit to mod.
Unity is pretty friendly but it is limited in what you can do.
Everyone else does their own engine which outright doesn't allow modding.
CDPR redengine is was pretty friendly to modding but was severely limited by assets.

They are pretty much last ones making native mod friendly engine.

modders will fix it.

Gargaune

Magister
i mean it is pretty much the best mod engine out there currently.
Yup. The only real competition Beth's had in this area were the purpose-built NWN toolsets (a decidedly different approach to content creation, but every bit as extensive). Giving up on the Creation Engine would be them shooting themselves in the foot.

CDPR redengine is was pretty friendly to modding but was severely limited by assets.
This I don't follow, though, did you mean it was "severely limited to assets?" 'Cause that's one of the things that definitively hamstrung CBP's modding scene, user-made content was limited to asset replacers and superficially-integrated scripting. CDPR didn't even provide a simple asset packer, let alone a loose files Override function. It took modders around a year and a half to cobble together a reasonably stable pipeline for extending asset libraries, and the unofficial WolvenKit is about as user friendly as a 747's flight deck.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
the waiting is agonizing, like a dying man without water slowly crawling through a scorching desert
so kenshi? speaking of, it would be neat if in game players fuckmeats crew could undergone amputation procedure so u got crew of fucknuggets to equip em with mechanical limbs to offer superior performance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom