Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll try to keep my phone line clear at my shop when this game makes most of your PCs explode since you'll be trying to run it on a dust-encrusted Ryzen 3 with Radeon RX 580 and 8GB RAM.

ferratilis

Magister
The reddit goys are already loving it
image.png

jungl

Augur
More content then star citizen and they didn't need to raise 400 million?!

What is the point in exploring 1000 planets if after 50 or so you have 1000 ammo for all your guns and nobody to challenge you. These games need a AI controlled opponents to keep them interesting. Factions immediately working against you when you arrive to the capital planet with pilots and merchants working against the player. Lowering your buying price and hiring npcs the player wants to hire based on how much the universe you explored. Able to ambush and capture the player and force demands from him.

But nooo instead its going to be super casual baby game where you become god of death 5 hours in and wonder why you playing minecraft for kids bethesda space edition.

Gargaune

Magister
Can't wait until people see the cities are as big as Whiterun or Diamond City. Seriously, I like Bethesda Game™, but people really should know what they're in for by now.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Shooting doesn't look good, but it's still much better than barely servicable F:NV. Now there are actually backgrounds and perks centered on non-combat abilities, unless they are shameless enough to show them and then for it to turn out there are as many speech checks as in Skyrim. The player also appears to be mute, which is a massive incline on its own. Probably unpopular opinion, but 'Kill 125 enemies to acquire the next rank' might be a better design than typical TES Skill level grinding, especially now that we have only one out of five skill trees(?) being for combat. Blasphemous of me, but so far it appears Starfield's progression design already looks better than F:NV, which I believe should be the go-to game to compare Starfield with. The only thing I'm really worried about is the writing and plot, but it's Bethseda so something merely decent would be amazing.

I'm probably too high on Copium, but I want to believe Todd's sweet lttile lies this time.

Ps: Look at the stats of the ship, they change as you switch the elements attached to it. That's more depth that I'd assume Bethesda to ever go to.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's so telling that 90% of what they shown was shooting enemies.

> Come across a generic lab building on a empty barren wasteland map
> Audio sparks in over intercom "Hey looks like <generic faction> has setup a base in the region"
> Avoid any specific audio queue's that would eliminate this audio being reusable 100 times for similar placed labs you'll be finding.
> Retarded enemies begin spawning all around the area (Some running right infront of your crosshair as they try to hit their waypoint or cover location prefab.. like seriously wtf lmao)
> Ships flying in leveraging state-of-the-art Dragon-Pathfinding-3000 technology from Skyrim - endlessly dumping more enemies in-front of you all named "Pirate"

Boy..! I can't wait repeat that content across "1000" "explorable" planets.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I thought it looked Ok until they started to brag about over 100 Solars Systems and 1000 Planets. That's when i just gave up.
Like, do we really that much ''content''? Probably not , especialy because it's literaly impossible to put meaningful content on them.

ferratilis

Magister
Can't wait until people see the cities are as big as Whiterun or Diamond City. Seriously, I like Bethesda Game™, but people really should know what they're in for by now.

You know what's funny, Morrowind has more NPCs than both Oblivion and Skyrim together, along with their respective DLC. Let's bet that Starfield will still not beat that record.

Not saying that NPC numbers mean anything, but Todd is always going on about 16x the scale, 200 endings, 1000 planets etc. Yet Morrowind remains their most impressive work.

Gargaune

Magister
I thought it looked Ok until they started to brag about over 100 Solars Systems and 1000 Planets. That's when i just gave up.
Like, do we really that much ''content''? Probably not , especialy because it's literaly impossible to put meaningful content on them.
They're just giving modders ample room to add tentacle monsters.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like the UI. Slick, minimalistic, serious. P. grate.

Environmental design looks drab. Gunplay looks WAY better than previous Bethesda games. Still p. bad.

P. meh overall except one thing - I absolutely did NOT expect them to go back to the Daggerfall roots and step into the procedural generation river twice. Considering I generally prefer handmade content WAY more and No Man's Sky bored me me to tears I fully expect to hate this shit but I'm open to be surprised.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
You know what's funny, Morrowind has more NPCs than both Oblivion and Skyrim together, along with their respective DLC. Let's bet that Starfield will still not beat that record.

Not saying that NPC numbers mean anything, but Todd is always going on about 16x the scale, 200 endings, 1000 planets etc. Yet Morrowind remains their most impressive work.

Thats the price that must be paid when switching from text dialogue to voicing every line. No way are they ever going back to text based dialogue.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I like the UI. Slick, minimalistic, serious. P. grate.

Environmental design looks drab. Gunplay looks WAY better than previous Bethesda games. Still p. bad.

P. meh overall except one thing - I absolutely did NOT expect them to go back to the Daggerfall roots and step into the procedural generation river twice. Considering I generally prefer handmade content WAY more and No Man's Sky bored me me to tears I fully expect to hate this shit but I'm open to be surprised.

I would imagine the main story based, faction based planets will be fine tuned by hand. The rest will be procedural trash.

Curratum

Look, guys, let's give Todd his due. That game, no matter what state it is in or how many problems it has, will be many many times better than what Star Citizen will ever become and do most of the things Star Citizen backers want, so there's that at least! :D

Readher

Savant
You can actually create Asian characters now. Figured that'd be the case. The game looks about as I expected. Character faces actually look better than I thought they'd look, pretty attractive for today game standards too. The whole ship and crew mechanic should be pretty comfy. Wonder if carrier-type ships will be possible (without or with mods). Ngl, the idea of having Imperial SSD with TIE fighters flying out makes we want to COOM right now. Todd never disappointed me to the point where I regretted my purchase (not counting FO76 since it's not a typical Bethesda game), and he has no competition so I'll buy it anyway. I just hope it'll run well enough or I'll manage to get a new GPU by the time it releases.

Perkel

Arcane
So Betsheda made single player Star Citizen ? Color me surprised.

Also dat 20fps gameplay.

I fully expect billion bugs

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If you can dock other ships mid-flight and kill all the passengers instead of blowing them up - I might consider a day one purchase.

My biggest concern is I really doubt the modding community is gonna kick off for this game.. Fallout 4 is leagues behind Skyrim still..
It feels like by the time this piece of shit releases I'll be flying dwemer spaceships in Skyrim.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
iUQLy4c.jpg

So strange how a team like Bethesda would not feature a single NPC that even resembled themselves. Its embarrassing really. If that is a look at the future Bethesda sees for humanity, It a bleak future indeed. Inclusivity means excluding the largest part of your playerbase.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1655060142146.png

The man looks 10 years older since the last time I've seen him (some interview 1/2 years ago)

Todd literally sacrificed his life essence to weave it into this masterpiece
Kneel before Todd!!

1655065284173.jpg

Tihskael

Learned
iUQLy4c.jpg

So strange how a team like Bethesda would not feature a single NPC that even resembled themselves. Its embarrassing really. If that is a look at the future Bethesda sees for humanity, It a bleak future indeed. Inclusivity means excluding the largest part of your playerbase.
Todd's godly beauty cannot be captured by a mere character creation system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom