Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
automated building? Autopilot?
Nigga, are you actually equating strategic placement of buildings and navigating space with the act of digging up a chunk of common AS ALL FUCK ore from stone?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Todd on if you can fly your spaceship from outer space to a planet

Can you fly the ship straight down to the planet? No. We decided early in the project that the on surface is one reality and when you are in space is another realty. And if you try to like really spend a lot of time engineering the inbetween like that segway you're just spending a lot of time that's really just not that important to the player so lets just make sure it's awesome when you're on the surface and awesome when your in space and those realities look as good as they can be and play as good as they can be for those realities.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
So it can't even do what No Man's Sky (and Elite: Dangerous?) can, even though it's clearly going into competition with it? What the fuck can it do then, that the other game can't? The "role-playing"?

Breh, I hope I am wrong on this one, but it looks just like FO4 decline, except in space.

Quillon

Arcane
Space to planets aside, did they say anything about whether there'll still be indoor-outdoor loading screens? The bane of bethesda gaymz.

Attempted innovation scares the bejeezus out of me.

And speaking of... Who came up with this amazing "innovation" called the Mining Laser that keeps spreading all over the fucking place? I don't wanna waste even three seconds shooting rocks off bigger rocks. Should've done something different, like you could identify a resource with your scanner and just queue it up for a little pocket drone to fly out and collect while you carry on. You know, something cool and unobtrusive. But no, let's shoot rocks.
And have one of the optional character progression unlocks (int/robotics related?) make that collector drone also identify and collect stuff in a radius from you automatically so you don't need to actively do anything if you invested in that perk/ability/whatever. Requiring your character to personally scavenge every shitty little container for loot to fill his pockets with the way they had in TES/Fallout really won't fit the Trek-ish setting.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
So you want automated harvesting? How about automated building? Autopilot? Just play an fps game. Or watch a lets roleplay.
What? No. You remember playing Skyrim, how you'd walk up to a flower, activate it and it'd pop into your inventory? Was that autopilot? The drone example I gave you would still have you identifying and activating the resources, you're still doing the game loop, you just skip over the ridiculous, repetitive animation and you do something fun and unobtrusive with it.

And Codexers wonder why the RPG genre stagnated. If you're not willing to risk some failed experiments, you're not going to see any novelty or creativity within the genre.
Yeah, I don't think "stagnation" is what the Codex is usually whining about.

Hello Games.
I'm sorry I asked.

And have one of the optional character progression unlocks (int/robotics related?) make that collector drone also identify and collect stuff in a radius from you automatically so you don't need to actively do anything if you invested in that perk/ability/whatever. Requiring your character to personally scavenge every shitty little container for loot to fill his pockets with the way they had in TES/Fallout really won't fit the Trek-ish setting.
Maybe, but that's not what I meant. I like exploring and looting crap, I just don't wanna go around shooting laz0rs at rocks. I remember playing Dragon Age: Inquisition (my mistake, I know) and it was so annoying when your PC would bend over and pick up herbs at every three steps. Even Pathfinder: Kingmaker had this issue, but only for a select few resources. And the "handheld mining laser" adds insult to injury by being a stupid notion to boot.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
it honestly seems like there's less hype for this game compared past games, maybe Fallout 4 and 76 ended the free ride Bethesda got all those years for good

it honestly seems like there's less hype for this game compared past games, maybe Fallout 4 and 76 ended the free ride Bethesda got all those years for good
Skyrim's trailer was in a different league. They got something like 5 million pre-orders off that initial trailer alone. Can't remember the trailer for FO4 just like nobody is going to remember this one.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
People spend too much time thinking about the Space RPG they wanted Starfield to be that they don't consider what Todd wanted Starfield to be. In early interviews he said Wing Commander and Star Control 2 were some of his favorite games. Goddamn if Starfield isn't a Bethesda game with Wing Commander space combat and Star Control 2 space exploration.
A worthwhile reminder that Todd Howard has more prestigious taste in computer games than most Codexers.

1jkbd0.jpg

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems logical: you own two of the most important and historical IPs in gaming and invest (lose?) years to create a game (set in a new universe) that probably aspires to the title of "most derivative ever created". And that's when the last two SP chapters of those franchises date back to 2011 and 2015.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Skyrim's trailer was in a different league. They got something like 5 million pre-orders off that initial trailer alone. Can't remember the trailer for FO4 just like nobody is going to remember this one.

What in the fuck? The recent Starfield video wasn't a trailer. The only thing Starfield has had like that was a TEASER Trailer released damn near exactly a year ago. It has 17 million views.

The one that everyone just watched was a Gameplay Reveal. Totally different.

ropetight

Scholar
It looks like No Man Sky with Bethesda potato NPCs and a main quest.

Yep - the more you look at it, it is more No Man's Skyrim.
It has survival mechanics, of course.
And crafting.
And settlement building.
And all other Bethesda checkboxes.
i think I even saw space Cazadors in one moment.

But, still... Space!

ropetight

Scholar
That kind of space suit really looks goofy. I wonder if it's only the "starting" gear.
Someone mentioned that you will probably need better suits for different environments and biomes.
Seems logical, Bethesda likes locking content in open world behind dangerous environments - remember all RadSuits?

Whole game looks bit goofy, ships look like they have been made from scrap.
It doesn't fit into story of government exploring the space for alien artefacts, more into space scavenger.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've yet to read anything that would make me think this game will actually be "good". In the "it's better than the usual Bethesda game" sense.
The audacity of selling "1,000 planets" only to later imply that 99% of them will be of no interest, saying "you will know in advance if they are shit!" as if it was a brilliant marketing point, is astounding.

Four "big" cities, "bigger than anything we have ever done before" (as if that meant anything), is depressing. Twice as big is already bigger, but we all know that Skyrim's cities were so pathetically small that twice as big wouldn't be close enough to what we could expect a 2023 open world RPG's cities to look like.

Of course the Bethesda fanboys are eating this shit up with joy.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I expect cities bigger than those in Arena and Daggerfall then. Todd wouldn't lie to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom