Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
I noticed that a few youtubers that still cover Star Citizen all got videos to calm down their sheeple, it turns out some whales were asking for a second if it was still a good idea to waste 35000,00 dollars on a game when there is a risk of Bethesda, of all developers, releasing a more functional version of their 7 years still in alpha game.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Pros:
>with Starfield in the rearview mirror, we are that much closer to being disappointed by TES VI

Cons:
>+X% skills (again!)
>marvel-tier dialogue
>guns 300 years in the future include a P90 with a hotwheels skin, and your great, great, great, great grandfather's double barreled shotgun
>empty procedurally generated crap everywhere
>narratively bankrupt premise
>visually boring at every level
>soundtrack is already on my nerves
>looks like the most generic sci-fi i've ever seen

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Pros:
>with Starfield in the rearview mirror, we are that much closer to being disappointed by TES VI

Cons:
>+X% skills (again!)
>marvel-tier dialogue
>guns 300 years in the future include a P90 with a hotwheels skin, and your great, great, great, great grandfather's double barreled shotgun
>empty procedurally generated crap everywhere
>narratively bankrupt premise
>visually boring at every level
>soundtrack is already on my nerves
>looks like the most generic sci-fi i've ever seen
I read about this the other day, it makes me think they could have trouble with this game.

Zeriel

Arcane
>there are people who didn't read HarveyBirdman's future posts a week ago

smh shaking my head

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Ship design can be modular and still not look like something scavengers put together.
Aerodynamics aside, for radiation shielding in deep space and armor (for combat and against space debris) you would want ship modules to be grouped more tigthly, to have more form.
Fuck outta here. You want lots of modules on stalks sticking out from the main hull, with the majority of them being empty decoys.

Robotigan

Learned
Aerodynamics aside, for radiation shielding in deep space and armor (for combat and against space debris) you would want ship modules to be grouped more tigthly, to have more form.
Armor's not gonna do dick against anything that means you harm (nor several things that don't). It's just gonna waste valuable energy when accelerating/decelerating. The space solution to anything big enough to see is avoidance and redundancy measures. You're gonna want a ship where it's easy to add and replace components.
Bethesda stick with this design probably because it was easier to implement in ship designer.
If it's as cool as advertised, that's plenty reason enough.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Todd on if you can fly your spaceship from outer space to a planet

that's really just not that important to the player so lets just make sure it's awesome when you're on the surface and awesome when your in space and those realities look as good as they can be and play as good as they can be for those realities.
If only they had a button that made it awesome instead, then you could just press the button...

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
turns out some whales were asking for a second if it was still a good idea to waste 35000,00 dollars on a game when there is a risk of Bethesda, of all developers, releasing a more functional version of their 7 years still in alpha game.

If someone's stupid enough to drop 35k on StarCitizen, they're likely stupid enough to think Starfield is meant to fill the same niche.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Watched the gameplay demo. 300 years in the future and ... Double barrel shotguns!!! And NEON P90.

Being able to enter any planet and fully explore, probably be procedural generated quantity over quality

"OVer a 100 systems"
"over 1000 planets" https://youtu.be/jMHBSUZvs5k?t=810

It will be the new "sixteen times the detail?"

Lastly, a (g)old video >>

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Watched the gameplay demo. 300 years in the future and ... Double barrel shotguns!!! And NEON P90.

Being able to enter any planet and fully explore, probably be procedural generated quantity over quality

"OVer a 100 systems"
"over 1000 planets" https://youtu.be/jMHBSUZvs5k?t=810

It will be the new "sixteen times the detail?"

Lastly, a (g)old video >>

I wouldn't trust them to do one single planet right

Jarmaro

Liturgist
There was 5 years of difference between the releases of Oblivion and Skyrim. Then four years between Skyrim and Fallout 4. There will be 8 years of difference between the releases of Fallout and Starfield, at the very least. The had a few more years to polish the game, and so far they haven't shown anything for it. What were they working on?
Making their own version of Sim Settlements in Starfield? (Todd admitted he's a huge fan of that mod, and it's one of the most popular Fallout 4 mods)
Spending years figuring out the procedural generation?
Rewriting the engine?
Comitting unholy amount of hours to hand-crafting important locations?

Nothing shown so far justifies the gap. They have shown gimmicks, not crucial features. Are they truly so bankrupt imaginatively that the best they can do is stealing ideas of modders and making an entire game around it?

Codex Year of the Donut
There was 5 years of difference between the releases of Oblivion and Skyrim. Then four years between Skyrim and Fallout 4. There will be 8 years of difference between the releases of Fallout and Starfield, at the very least. The had a few more years to polish the game, and so far they haven't shown anything for it. What were they working on?
Making their own version of Sim Settlements in Starfield? (Todd admitted he's a huge fan of that mod, and it's one of the most popular Fallout 4 mods)
Spending years figuring out the procedural generation?
Rewriting the engine?
Comitting unholy amount of hours to hand-crafting important locations?

Nothing shown so far justifies the gap. They have shown gimmicks, not crucial features. Are they truly so bankrupt imaginatively that the best they can do is stealing ideas of modders and making an entire game around it?
Might want to recheck your data.

Modron

Arcane
Yes.

Norfleet

Some designs just don't need to change. The AK should be one of those, I'm pretty sure we'll still be using those in 300 years.

Caim

Arcane
Some designs just don't need to change. The AK should be one of those, I'm pretty sure we'll still be using those in 300 years.
The Heavy Stubber in Warhammer 40k is just the M2 Browning with some minor alteration.

Boleskine

Arcane
edgy.png
edgy.png
edgy.png
edgy.png
edgy.png

Perkel

Arcane
The Heavy Stubber in Warhammer 40k is just the M2 Browning with some minor alteration.

Daily reminder that Browning M2 is still widely used in US army despite it being...

...100 years old.

Yes widely used HMG in modern army is 100 years old. 101 to be exact.

Not.AI

Learned
Are you a fan of sci-fi?

I like the sci fi.

I like their space-suits. They have detail at least, and are very rounded, round is good, like apple products in general.

All you crybabies - your opinion dont matter. This game is going to be a hit no matter I hate it or love it.

True :_ (

But the thing about competition is there isn't any. If two guys are running away from a bear, it doesn't matter that neither is much of an athlete. One just has to outrun the other.

marvel-tier dialogue

Probably.

However, I applaud that which I cannot change. And since it is inevitable, eagerly awaiting.

As you can see from my face : <

Häyhä

Arbiter

Can't believe dumbfucks are still falling for the same shit after 15+ years. :lol:

"Over 200 handcrafted dungeons!"

"Over 1000 handcrafted planets!"

Retards, retards never change.

Perkel

Arcane
Technically he wasn't wrong. Skyrim had infinite quests, actually i found that pretty impressive at the time, even if they were just rudimentary go kill, fetch stuff from X.

Radiant AI is a joke but from time to time they have some moments like when you drop by random some cabbage and NPC will pick it up and then second NPC will accuse first NPC of stealing and they will start to fight each other. I just wish they would focus more on that instead of their shitty stories. Also if your murder shopkeeper his kin can take over shop which is not something you can see in any other RPG. There is some daggerfall DNA still there in things like that.

Betsheda could be respected dev if they would focus entirely on game systems. I said it in Fallout 4 thread. Fallout 4 might be garbage Fallout game but with different name and removal of almost all quests and npcs + some extra sprinkle of survival good light survival game.

spockthewok

Novice

Can't believe dumbfucks are still falling for the same shit after 15+ years. :lol:

"Over 200 handcrafted dungeons!"

"Over 1000 handcrafted planets!"

Retards, retards never change.

When I heard Todd mention the game had "over 1000 planets!!!" it instantly reminded me of his claims that Fallout 3 had about 200 endings. In reality we got 2 and both were shit.

:negative:

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Gun Jesus of Forgotten Weapons actually commented on this. He said that gunpowder-based firearms have reached the apex of their evolution in terms of mechanics - all possible concepts have been explored and all that's left now is mixing and matching the various features, and unless some revolutionary new invention comes along that's pretty much it.

However, what he did also say is that ergonomics is where the focus is now: optics on every rifle, advanced scopes that calculate a firing solution for the user, red dot sights on every pistol, captive pins, springs and much less complex disassembly to make maintenance easier etc.

Also, new trends with ammo, as has recently been popularized by the US military's adoption of a new cartridge specifically designed to combat modern body armor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom