Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
To me that's a soft confirmation that the planets are indeed instanced
It's actually a hard confirmation, Todd said that the surface and space are wholly separate and won't interact, and that you can't fly down to the surface of the planet controlling the ship, but a cutscene will play when deciding to land or take off (to mask the fact the game is loading in a new map).

But as it's been said, a competent crew would end this in seconds, even against this godmode reality-defying antagonist. That served as an inspiration for me to make an oc space setting filled with biothreats and space terrors, that do not really pose that much of an existential risk, since every major faction is an extremely competent authoritarian meritocracy; the central vector of conflict was between these groups and various outside contenders that unleash some horrific stuff regularly because they lack discipline, skills or structure not to pop open the alien eggs, accidentally or on purpose.
I liked that movie about the Moon rock spiders, Apollo 18, where both the US and Soviet governments tell the astronauts that if they attempt to land they'll get shot down, no ifs or buts, as a measure to prevent the Moon organisms from getting down to Earth - though if that's the case it then begs the question of why they even bother sending manned missions to the Moon surface when they know very well what's up there.

That being said, I can't really imagine a scenario where any belligerent would resort to using alien space egg WMDs - we already have plenty of terrifying bioweapons IRL, yet no side really seems that keen to use them. Granted, if things were getting really dire in war they may just decide to deploy them out of sheer desperation, but unless the results of defeat were pretty horrific I can't imagine them doing it even then, not unless they want to get pummeled into submissions by the other side retaliating with the same.

I recommend you watch Europa Report - it's not breathtaking sci-fi, but still really cool. Has a very nice cast of underappreciated actors.
Already watched it. Liked it for the slow burn tension-building.

not incredible or genre-defining
Problem is that every hack out there wants to be the next (((Steven Spielberg))) and to reinvent the wheel, when movies like Extraction or Dredd show you can make a very fun and enthralling movie that delivers a tightly woven plot with great action choreography.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's so nice to see the rest of the codex discussing starfield and as excited for it as I am. This game is going to be amazing.
s420.gif
s420.gif

Wunderbar

Arcane
Man, I'm not the only one that liked Pandorum? It's one of the few movies that genuinely had me when at one point the characters look out one of the few windows on the ship and don't see any starts - genuine WTF moment.
It very much impressed me as well. I watched it in a chain of various sci-fi minor/B-type releases and it really stood out. What's very notable is that it is a competent, coherent adventure story, that develops its intrigue and expands/intensifies when it should. For some reason this is very rare in film. What you usually see is that the first part of the movie sets up an intriguing adventure, but then the second one ruins it by suddenly attempting to be something else and changing the genre; possibly because the creator behind it does not want it to be 'just' a captivating story, it has to be something more- which is ironic since it leaves a situation in which it's that straightforward adventure story that becomes this rare, demanding thing to make.
it's been a while since I watched Pandorum, but i vividly remember that halfway through it turned into Paul Anderson's Resident Evil, complete with mutants and a survivalist woman kicking ass using kung-fu.

It's still a pretty good space horror.

MichaelB

Literate
I recommend you watch Europa Report - it's not breathtaking sci-fi, but still really cool. Has a very nice cast of underappreciated actors.
Already watched it.
Now that's a poster right there :lol:
To me that's a soft confirmation that the planets are indeed instanced
It's actually a hard confirmation, Todd said that the surface and space are wholly separate and won't interact, and that you can't fly down to the surface of the planet controlling the ship, but a cutscene will play when deciding to land or take off (to mask the fact the game is loading in a new map).
No that's not the point. During the announcement Todd said that you can explore the whole planet(when the planet New Atlantis is on was being showcased). This can be the case regardless of whether there's a seamless transition between space and surface(there's not). So as I see it, currently people assume that you can land wherever you want on the planet, kind of like in No Man's Sky; but unlike in that game there's going to be a loading screen. This is what I contest - I think it's going to be a single procgen square map, or several separate maps per planet; with the player being able to transition form one to another via the interface of the spaceship. But you will not be able to land wherever you want, only on one of those separate squares.
I liked that movie about the Moon rock spiders, Apollo 18, where both the US and Soviet governments tell the astronauts that if they attempt to land they'll get shot down, no ifs or buts, as a measure to prevent the Moon organisms from getting down to Earth - though if that's the case it then begs the question of why they even bother sending manned missions to the Moon surface when they know very well what's up there.
Sounds based. Did not watch it; there's been some opinions that its pretty corny, which kept me away from it. What I'd really like is for early Neil Blomkamp to have directed one of these.
That being said, I can't really imagine a scenario where any belligerent would resort to using alien space egg WMDs - we already have plenty of terrifying bioweapons IRL, yet no side really seems that keen to use them. Granted, if things were getting really dire in war they may just decide to deploy them out of sheer desperation, but unless the results of defeat were pretty horrific I can't imagine them doing it even then, not unless they want to get pummeled into submissions by the other side retaliating with the same.
That seems too rooted in cold war mindset to be accurate. But I'm not interested in speculating about these things. The situation has such a level of abstraction to it that a writer can take it in any direction while maintaining plausibility. To an extent even very unintuitive ideas can be "naturalized" once you pass it through multiple McGuffins. It's also the case that reality itself has a level of unpredictability to it. Quite recently someone has shown me a poem by a XIX century Chinese writer, that amounted to "the westerners may have the technology, but they fail to see the hidden order of things(they lack wisdom and so on)". Even today this is seen as cope; but it turned out to be true to a large extent. Another example is in small arms technology - post WW2 everyone thought bullpups are going to be the thing to use, but it turns out no one wants them anymore, and due to very down-to-earth reasons you'd likely miss, just like they did. Meanwhile the battle rifle is making a comeback. But I digress. In the aforementioned OC most threats were extraterrestrial in origin; it was only smaller states/groups that would try to manufacture bioweapons as a mean to find an edge and become a major power.

Speaking of cold war period, there's a really cool short story by P.K. Dick on the subject of cybernetic weapons and total war doctrine, it even got a subpar movie adaptation with Peter Welles. It's called Second Variety. I do recommend. Really like this author, especially due to how disrespectful he is in terms of style. Like you can find him introducing several new characters only by name, with zero description of appearance, demeanor and such. Same with locations and tech. Really bold stuff and works wonders in terms of pacing. Very cutting-edge author imo, has his drawbacks especially in earlier works which are honestly not worth reading.

There's another story by him, this time really short, about a group of astronauts happily returning to earth, only to be detained and shot by their own without warning or any clues or so. It turns out that [REDACTED]. It's really clever. It's kind of in a tone of this meme:

6_j7dlobSeiwzHNv8Gsib7kZ-ZK5jWXai_c21SeSBoU.jpg

That seems too rooted in cold war mindset to be accurate. But I'm not interested in speculating about these things. The situation has such a level of abstraction to it that a writer can take it in any direction while maintaining plausibility. To an extent even very unintuitive ideas can be "naturalized" once you pass it through multiple McGuffins. It's also the case that reality itself has a level of unpredictability to it. Quite recently someone has shown me a poem by a XIX century Chinese writer, that amounted to "the westerners may have the technology, but they fail to see the hidden order of things(they lack wisdom and so on)". Even today this is seen as cope; but it turned out to be true to a large extent. Another example is in small arms technology - post WW2 everyone thought bullpups are going to be the thing to use, but it turns out no one wants them anymore, and due to very down-to-earth reasons you'd likely miss, just like they did. Meanwhile the battle rifle is making a comeback. But I digress. In the aforementioned OC most threats were extraterrestrial in origin; it was only smaller states/groups that would try to manufacture bioweapons as a mean to find an edge and become a major power.

Speaking of cold war period, there's a really cool short story by P.K. Dick on the subject of cybernetic weapons and total war doctrine, it even got a subpar movie adaptation with Peter Welles. It's called Second Variety. I do recommend. Really like this author, especially due to how disrespectful he is in terms of style. Like you can find him introducing several new characters only by name, with zero description of appearance, demeanor and such. Same with locations and tech. Really bold stuff and works wonders in terms of pacing. Very cutting-edge author imo, has his drawbacks especially in earlier works which are honestly not worth reading.

There's another story by him, this time really short, about a group of astronauts happily returning to earth, only to be detained and shot by their own without warning or any clues or so. It turns out that [REDACTED]. It's really clever. It's kind of in a tone of this meme:

6_j7dlobSeiwzHNv8Gsib7kZ-ZK5jWXai_c21SeSBoU.jpg
That qoute reminded me of playing Observation, a little of that feeling not knowing what's real.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
A couple of sources Kotaku spoke with didn’t feel that the teams had a coherent direction for what was supposed to be during its initial three-year development cycle. According to one source, Howard was supposed to be in charge of the game, but he spent most of his time working on Starfield, which reportedly started development after Fallout 4 shipped in 2015. One source told Kotaku that his subordinates would call it “seagulling” when he would “fly by later and shit all over an idea” that had popular traction within the design team. Another source felt that Howard was a decent executive producer, albeit one with a “bigger is better” design philosophy.

(...)

In June 2019, Howard gave an IGN interview about how was a game that “we wanted to play.” In reality, sources said that morale was also very low among some former Fallout 4 developers who were assigned to work on . They joined Bethesda’s Rockville studio because they were fans of the studio’s single-player games, but now they were working in a genre they had little interest in. Two sources told Kotaku that many former Fallout 4 developers they knew especially resented being assigned to make a live-service game. These were veterans who’d spent many years at a studio that was famous for prestigious single-player RPGs.

(...)

Bethesda Austin, which was tasked with helping to bring to life, was well-known as a multiplayer studio, and ZeniMax Online is the sister studio that released the highly successful Elder Scrolls Online. However, two sources told Kotaku they did not believe that the two studios’ online multiplayer expertise was utilized to its fullest potential until after Fallout 76 launched. Employees with multiplayer experience said they pointed out major problems during production, but they would not be satisfactorily addressed until after the scathing reviews at launch. Bethesda did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

A similar phenomenon occurred around The Elder Scrolls Online. The MMO’s launch had been rocky, but the developers managed to significantly stabilize the game by the time began production. However, the multiplayer studio’s successes were not internally given as much merit or considered aspirational.

[Senior Bethesda developers] basically treated Elder Scrolls Online like it was this complete fluke,” a source told Kotaku. “[There was] no respect at all for the hard work and dedication that it took to make an MMO that is still running and is still popular.”

“While we had experienced multiplayer designers [in both Rockville and Austin], they were routinely sidelined and ignored,” said a source formerly at Bethesda Game Studios Rockville. “During development, our design director Emil [Pagliarulo] didn’t seem to want to be involved with the product at all. He didn’t want to have any contact with it…or read anything that we put in front of him.”

(...)

The more single-player-focused main studio at Rockville was the most favored, most profitable studio within the ZeniMax portfolio, and developers from Austin felt resentful that the main studio seemed to undervalue the multiplayer expertise they’d built up on projects like BattleCry, a canceled online action game. One of the major criticisms of Fallout 76 was that it launched with no NPCs to interact with. Though there were some senior-level concerns about technical challenges, almost none of the Bethesda designers wanted the game to launch without NPCs. The design teams at both Rockville and Austin wanted NPCs to fill out the world of , but they say executive producer Todd Howard was not willing to budge all the way up ‘til launch.

(...)

One source said that the amount of work required to adapt the engine to support a multiplayer experience put additional time pressure on the schedule. Some desirable features would have to go, and leadership decided one such feature would be NPCs. Holotapes, robots, and environmental storytelling were perceived as less risky approaches for conveying the game’s narrative.

(...)

Given Bethesda’s reputation for janky games, it’s no wonder that in an interview with PC Gamer, Howard said that he hoped that the Xbox acquisition will help Bethesda’s games be better tested at launch. However, Kotaku’s sources said that Fallout 76 underwent no shortage of testing.

When Kotaku asked about which features were broken as a result of poor scheduling, a developer replied: “Tongue in cheek: the whole game. In general, every major bug in 76 [that appeared at launch] was known by QA.” Bethesda did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

(...)

Working on a beloved IP was supposed to balance out the stressors of working in game development. However, sources told Kotaku the misalignment between the business goal and the actual team members proved to be devastating for morale. One source felt that there was a feeling that “we were making a game that wasn’t primarily for us.”

Or even the fans. The source said that the developers who came from the Fallout 4 team thought that Fallout 76 would disappoint a sizable chunk of their loyal audience. “Even though the studio has a reputation for buggy games, I initially still had faith that they would delay rather than putting out a bad game.”

Fallout 76 was never delayed from the release date announced at E3 2018.

Can't decide whether it's hilarious or sad. It appears the leadership was fully aware of the state of the game at launch, but they simply decided to go with it. Probably assumed the fans will eat it right up.
Here's the lnik if anyone wants to read the whole article: https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-fallout-76-crunch-development-1849033233

Now bonus, a truly hilarious part:
“I don’t know how [Bethesda] made [Skyrim]. It doesn’t make sense to me,” a former employee told Kotaku. “Like it had to have been like monkeys with a typewriter creating Shakespeare. I don’t know how things can be so chaotic and people are still able to do their jobs.”

There’s a story that some Bethesda developers believe: That it is special among big-budget studios. That its scrappiness can overcome any major creative challenge.

Funny, it's almost as if heard that one before...I wonder where? Oh, I know where:
Within the studio, there’s a term called “BioWare magic.” It’s a belief that no matter how rough a game’s production might be, things will always come together in the final months. The game will always coalesce. It happened on the Mass Effect trilogy, on Dragon Age: Origins, and on Inquisition. Veteran BioWare developers like to refer to production as a hockey stick—it’s flat for a while, and then it suddenly jolts upward. Even when a project feels like a complete disaster, there’s a belief that with enough hard work—and enough difficult crunch—it’ll all come together.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck

u dont need fiction, reality is better; cold war was cover up for humongous spending to catch tech to alien threat after banking cartel colony on mars had fallen in sixties, but then it was all along plan of hostile galactic AI to elevate human species tech wise so they can eradicated by transhumanizm/implants. aliens that nazis made contact with were AI puppets.

Not many people are aware that exposure to cosmic rays in high atmosphere or outer space causes neurons to spontaneously depolarize, resulting in visual and auditory hallucinations. The most frequent kind of hallucination is seeing sparkles or flashes of light with eyes both open or closed, but any kind of hallucination is possible with pilots' liberal use of psychostimulants. Irradiation by cosmic rays is also the most frequent cause of UFO sightings by pilots when those sightings aren't corroborated by instrument readings (or sightings by instruments and not corroborated by pilots).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There's another story by him, this time really short, about a group of astronauts happily returning to earth, only to be detained and shot by their own without warning or any clues or so. It turns out that [REDACTED]. It's really clever.
The short story is titled "Explorers We" from 1959, contained in the fourth volume of Philip K. Dick's collected stories (The Minority Report).

Robotigan

Learned
I think it's going to be a single procgen square map, or several separate maps per planet; with the player being able to transition form one to another via the interface of the spaceship. But you will not be able to land wherever you want, only on one of those separate squares.
It's exceedingly plausible that you can explore the entire planet on foot without instancing as it's not at all different from how Bethesda's (and most other) open worlds have worked before. When you move around the world, the game loads in nearby cells of worldspace around you. To simulate a spherical planet, when the player reaches the "edge" the game simply needs to load in cells from other side. All you're doing is wrapping a 2d array. And the size of the planet to make this work convincingly need only be 3x the maximum draw distance (at 2x you could stand in one place and see the same object on both horizons). Maybe there's a little more engineering to deal with higher probability of cache misses, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Robotigan

Learned
The natural consequence of a group of people weaponizing race and ethnicity to use as an ideological bludgeon with which to batter their political opponents. It breeds resentment. It's why the Leftist obsession with grievance archeology and racial grifting is so malicious, veiled as benevolence as it is. They turned skin color and gender into their weapons and it is thoroughly evil.
"LEFTISTS MADE ME RACIST!"

Low T attitude tbh. Think for yourself.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
I think it's going to be a single procgen square map, or several separate maps per planet; with the player being able to transition form one to another via the interface of the spaceship. But you will not be able to land wherever you want, only on one of those separate squares.
It's exceedingly plausible that you can explore the entire planet on foot without instancing as it's not at all different from how Bethesda's (and most other) open worlds have worked before. When you move around the world, the game loads in nearby cells of worldspace around you. To simulate a spherical planet, when the player reaches the "edge" the game simply needs to load in cells from other side. All you're doing is wrapping a 2d array. And the size of the planet to make this work convincingly need only be 3x the maximum draw distance (at 2x you could stand in one place and see the same object on both horizons). Maybe there's a little more engineering to deal with higher probability of cache misses, but I don't think it's a big deal.
is there footage that clearly indicates map curvature? i think square map is most likely; introducing curvature would fuck with engine unless they made drastic changes.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
what im worried the most is that they yeeted fallout 4 gore fidelity. half of combat fun is carnage not to mention if u want build your own meat processing epstein dungeon type base.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To simulate a spherical planet, when the player reaches the "edge" the game simply needs to load in cells from other side. All you're doing is wrapping a 2d array.
Wrapping a two-dimensional array would wrap both east/west and north/south in the same manner, which would simulate a toroid planet:

oz4bog.jpg

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
>guns 300 years in the future include a P90 with a hotwheels skin, and your great, great, great, great grandfather's double barreled shotgun
Some designs just don't need to change. The AK should be one of those, I'm pretty sure we'll still be using those in 300 years.
Yeah, but why would you use a double barrelled shotgun in the far future when semi-automatic shotguns exist? Shouldn't those become the standard and double barrelled shotties more of a niche pick?
Aren't doubled barrelled shotguns already a niche anyway?
not just double barrel, its SQUARE BORE double barrel. INNVOATION my nger, just like apple; paint it gay white, change form a bit, reduce functionality and make sure it breaks easy without possibility to repair then overcharge for it = profit.

MichaelB

Literate
The short story is titled "Explorers We" from 1959, contained in the fourth volume of Philip K. Dick's collected stories (The Minority Report).
You can find most of those short stories from amazing stories, imagination, etc., on project Gutenberg btw, they typically never had their copyright renewed. Something you had to actually do for works from that period. Makes them easy to find if you're a fan of that stuff.

E.g.,
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/66540/66540-h/66540-h.htm
Thank you :hug:I did not bother looking it up since I have the polish print, without the english titles; I also got the impression that our local releases of collected stories did not mirror the originals in terms of content - that's probably not true, now that I think about it, since I recall it being called The Minority Report as well.

Yeah, that might be right. I am familiar with the basics behind it form my own dev-ing experiments. (The tiny detail I'm conflicted on is that I believe the cell system in previous beth games refers not to the entire parts of the map, but only to some meshes, objects and characters. So, say, the basic landscape is not loaded and unloaded on a whim, and they were still working with constraints to the world size etc. But I might be wrong about this and it may not even matter; that's how its going to work if they decide to go for full surface indeed.)

But the intuition to make that call came rather from practical concerns. With no land vehicles - or atmospheric flight - having a huge seamless landmass would be just painful for the player. If you played NMS, you probably know what I mean. It does not even create an impression of a bigger world. It unintuitively makes it feel smaller - there's no frame of reference and it seems like travelling through nothingness. Beyond bases, you'll likely not see the same landscape twice, which makes it not even register as real or meaningful. I'm still going to be positively surprised if they did this the way you describe, because it's solid on technical level; and since they did not have to. Also on 4 main planets the capital settlement will be the point of reference .

The natural consequence of a group of people weaponizing race and ethnicity to use as an ideological bludgeon with which to batter their political opponents. It breeds resentment. It's why the Leftist obsession with grievance archeology and racial grifting is so malicious, veiled as benevolence as it is. They turned skin color and gender into their weapons and it is thoroughly evil.
"LEFTISTS MADE ME RACIST!"

Low T attitude tbh. Think for yourself.
He's pointing to something important, even if wording is imperfect, and I agree with this observation. The consequence of a group of people weaponizing race and ethnicity to use as an ideological bludgeon is that unlike, say, in the 90's, if you want your issues and well-being as a person to matter, you need to have a racial/sexual/identity-based advocacy group backing you. This was not the case in the past. And it simply changes the rules for everyone. So as long as you want to matter, you need some of that sexism or racism - lets just call it exclusion - done or threatened on behalf of your group. Leftists have made exclusion the rule of the game, and he's still hesitant to play it, pointing to how it ruins the concept of public good and it's not okay and so on.

Here's what happens if you don't: you get fired form your job because some gal thought you were looking at her incorrectly. She has the power to do so, since she's backed by a network of advocacy groups, form the bottom level way up to the UN(quite literally), making sure her opportunities and significance are expanded at the expense of yours; meanwhile you have nothing. Does that sound high-T to you? Here's my high testosterone idea bros, hear me out: Losing. Irrelevance. Sounds good?

If anything, the problem common among people working within the american mental framework is that they truly shy away from expressing their direct interests. And this goes way back. They can be deeply hurt by something, and instead of saying "this ruins my prospects, this is bad, this harms me so it has to go" they will refer to abstract values or worse, they will oppose it on the basis that they're worried that it will harm the instigator[!]. For an american mind, subsidizing foreigners is bad, because it might hurt said foreigners. Feminism is bad, because it might hurt women. This is akin to a bully stealing your lunch, and your only reaction being: "oh my god, if this continues he's going to get gluttonous and unhealthy from all the sugar; this is terrible". I can't help myself from exclaiming THIS IS BACKWARDS! anytime I encounter it. It baffles me how you made losing into en ethic. Perhaps some ideas about chivalry made you like this; since, say, the classical Athenians knew nothing of it and never encountered that problem. In fact their problem was kind of the polar opposite.

It might be a wider cultural phenomenon. In an archetypical european action movie the guy beats his enemies, gets the girl and goes on to live happily. In an archetypical american movie the guy fucking dies and gets nothing. Notably it likely saves his village/country/whatever, but you know, in the end it is romanticizing a loss(I'm reminded of that boy from Howard's Beyond the Black River here). No, it is not high or noble; it'll lead one straight to the grave, while others benefit from his sacrifice, quietly admitting he was a total loser to do so. On the other hand, if there's any appreciation for death in manly european or japanese context, it is because it in some way brings benefit to the one who is not afraid to die. That is a profound difference. When you stand to gain from an act, it cannot be called self-sacrifice. This way you can almost treat courage as the highest form of appreciation of self. So in general terms, one could claim that the chad European, or rather - of this particular european tradition, for the sake of the argument - knows no self-sacrifice, while the virgin American dies willingly so that his crush gets to be safe in arms of a cowardly man. The Hagakure comes to mind. The Japanese had no respect for women, yet they knew a thing or two about risk and virtue. This was different. But I digress.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
On the other hand, if there's any appreciation for death in manly european or japanese context, it is because it in some way brings benefit to the one who is not afraid to die. That is a profound difference. When you stand to gain from an act, it cannot be called self-sacrifice. This way you can almost treat courage as the highest form of appreciation of self.

any non intellectual/risk reward behavior action is quite vulnerable to turning out u just being kuked (which is self sacrifice i guess) like muslims that capitalise on unatainable virgin vagina and gullibility of youth or 5 year olds in west "deciding" to have sex change so they cant add to overpopulation problem or compete for resources in future.

sacrifice should be no more than investment with degree of morality simply being time horizon that may to some see as not self service.
as such courage is same quality; immediate pain/risk for future safety after eradication of threat.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Pros:
>with Starfield in the rearview mirror, we are that much closer to being disappointed by TES VI

Cons:
>+X% skills (again!)
>marvel-tier dialogue
>guns 300 years in the future include a P90 with a hotwheels skin, and your great, great, great, great grandfather's double barreled shotgun
>empty procedurally generated crap everywhere
>narratively bankrupt premise
>visually boring at every level
>soundtrack is already on my nerves
>looks like the most generic sci-fi i've ever seen
I read about this the other day, it makes me think they could have trouble with this game.

even if its all true, it dosnt matter.

building your own ships and decking them with modded big titty followers and u can even sort of fly the it? no other game offers that, scam citizen at best will let u repaint their pointless glitchy flying cardboards. kuk roberts be like; 10 000 usd online only game u dont own virtual playboy space yacht with no titties included or possible? great deal... or u can torrent game and mod it till it crashes from servicing you rather than having bad networking code.

Here's what happens if you don't: you get fired form your job because some gal thought you were looking at her incorrectly. She has the power to do so, since she's backed by a network of advocacy groups, form the bottom level way up to the UN(quite literally), making sure her opportunities and significance are expanded at the expense of yours; meanwhile you have nothing. Does that sound high-T to you? Here's my high testosterone idea bros, hear me out: Losing. Irrelevance. Sounds good?

[...]
Both Nietzsche and Kierkegaard called this kind of inversion ressentiment in their time, so this mindset has been going on since forever. These forces are near their zenith in American culture right now.

Robotigan

Learned
He's pointing to something important, even if wording is imperfect, and I agree with this observation. The consequence of a group of people weaponizing race and ethnicity to use as an ideological bludgeon is that unlike, say, in the 90's, if you want your issues and well-being as a person to matter, you need to have a racial/sexual/identity-based advocacy group backing you. This was not the case in the past. And it simply changes the rules for everyone. So as long as you want to matter, you need some of that sexism or racism - lets just call it exclusion - done or threatened on behalf of your group. Leftists have made exclusion the rule of the game, and he's still hesitant to play it, pointing to how it ruins the concept of public good and it's not okay and so on.
If you want to get into a deeply intellectual conversation on the merits and pitfalls of various ideological frameworks, go ahead. I'm more of a pragmatist myself. I think it's a neater way to go about life than getting deep into the weeds with ideological purists who allow their convictions to corrupt their perceptions of reality. Bottom line: This entire conversation started over a Codexer's inability to cope with the ability to create black people in a character creator. You cannot philosophize your way out of this view being "comically racist" as I said.
If anything, the problem common among people working within the american mental framework is that they truly shy away from expressing their direct interests. And this goes way back. They can be deeply hurt by something, and instead of saying "this ruins my prospects, this is bad, this harms me so it has to go" they will refer to abstract values or worse, they will oppose it on the basis that they're worried that it will harm the instigator[!]. For an american mind, subsidizing foreigners is bad, because it might hurt said foreigners. Feminism is bad, because it might hurt women. This is akin to a bully stealing your lunch, and your only reaction being: "oh my god, if this continues he's going to get gluttonous and unhealthy from all the sugar; this is terrible". I can't help myself from exclaiming THIS IS BACKWARDS! anytime I encounter it. It baffles me how you made losing into en ethic. Perhaps some ideas about chivalry made you like this; since, say, the classical Athenians knew nothing of it and never encountered that problem. In fact their problem was kind of the polar opposite.

It might be a wider cultural phenomenon. In an archetypical european action movie the guy beats his enemies, gets the girl and goes on to live happily. In an archetypical american movie the guy fucking dies and gets nothing. Notably it likely saves his village/country/whatever, but you know, in the end it is romanticizing a loss(I'm reminded of that boy from Howard's Beyond the Black River here). No, it is not high or noble; it'll lead one straight to the grave, while others benefit from his sacrifice, quietly admitting he was a total loser to do so. On the other hand, if there's any appreciation for death in manly european or japanese context, it is because it in some way brings benefit to the one who is not afraid to die. That is a profound difference. When you stand to gain from an act, it cannot be called self-sacrifice. This way you can almost treat courage as the highest form of appreciation of self. So in general terms, one could claim that the chad European, or rather - of this particular european tradition, for the sake of the argument - knows no self-sacrifice, while the virgin American dies willingly so that his crush gets to be safe in arms of a cowardly man. The Hagakure comes to mind. The Japanese had no respect for women, yet they knew a thing or two about risk and virtue. This was different. But I digress.
Breaking_Bad_S04E01__Box_Cutter__-_Denny%27s_Scene_0-25_screenshot.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom